The Student Room Group

>> About Access To Higher Education Courses <<

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oldiebutgoodie
Understood. I chose Derby because it has a good amount of mature students, and it came highly recommended. Having been out of education for 25 years, the level of mature students was an important factor for me.

Probably gonna be one of the youngest but hey ho :tongue: what are your degree plans after the access course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone managed to find any Access course syllabus information? I've tried, can't find a thing.

I think we'll get told the syllabus probably at the induction at university! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by simplylldxo
Probably gonna be one of the youngest but hey ho :tongue: what are your degree plans after the access course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to do law. Its a subject I've always had an interest in. That and politics. So I've decided to put myself first and what I want to do.
Reply 183
Original post by em474747
Couldn't agree more. I'm currently doing the course in Social Sciences (Psychology and Sociology) and really love it. It's really rewarding however as you mentioned it requires so much comittment and time, however I'm on my way to university so if anyone is considering it and not afraid if hard work, I'd say go for it!Posted from TSR Mobile
hi there, I noticed you said you were doing a social sciences access course. I will hopefully be starting one this September and wondered if you could tell me abit about it, did you have to do many presentations? Also how many hours a week outside of college did you study? I will be working a few evenings a week and I'm hoping I can keep up. Thanks
Reply 184
hello i was wondering if anyone could help me?
when someone applies for an access course but they have previously done A-levels would they still get accepted by the course?
Reply 185
Original post by reens
when someone applies for an access course but they have previously done A-levels would they still get accepted by the course?

You may be accepted, but I don't think you'll be able to get the funding help. If your A-level were good and recent you wouldn't need to do the course, but if they are older than 5 years you shouldn't have a problem at all.

You can't receive funding for the same level of course, which I believe A-level and Access are.

Hope this helps x
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 186
Original post by Moofie10
You may be accepted, but I don't think you'll be able to get the funding help. If your A-level were good and recent you wouldn't need to do the course, but if they are older than 5 years you shouldn't have a problem at all.

You can't receive funding for the same level of course, which I believe A-level and Access are.

Hope this helps x

What if the alevel results were not good enough and I wanted to do the course, would they ask what alevels I done? Or doesnt it matter if I've done alevels or not?
Original post by reens

I did A-levels and i was accepted on to an Access course. I didn't have to pay though because i was on JSA. So if you're getting any gov help then you could probably get your fees paid for like i did.

There were even people on on my course who had degrees, they chose to do the Access course because their previous qualifications were irrelevant to the degree they wanted to do.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 188
Original post by Little Isis
I did A-levels and i was accepted on to an Access course. I didn't have to pay though because i was on JSA. So if you're getting any gov help then you could probably get your fees paid for like i did.

There were even people on on my course who had degrees, they chose to do the Access course because their previous qualifications were irrelevant to the degree they wanted to do.

will they say anything about my A-levels though?
Original post by reens

Nothing was said about my A levels
Reply 190
Hi, I haven't read too far up so sorry if I am repeating things that have already been said. I had assessments today to start an Access course in September which all went okay and they don't see why I won't be able to join but they need to go through the formal stuff. I want to become a nurse and I am not 100% what the best subjects are for me to choose. Biology yes, Sociology and/or Psychology? Science? Also can't find any helpful information about whether or not there is financial help available for people on low incomes. My partner works but is on a low income at the moment and I am a stay at home mum. Can anyone help? :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 191
I am enrolled on an access course starting september as I also want to be a nurse. I didn't choose subjects with my course, on my timetable I have social issues in health care, human physiology and some tutorial and HE toolkit classes. I'm a single mum on income support so will be applying for help will childcare. Because I applied for the 24+ loan I have to apply for the 24+ bursary through the college. Its for people on a low income but it depends on your circumstances. Hope this helps :-)
Reply 192
I guess each college is different, I wasn't aware there was a 24+ bursary so thank you, I did hear I could potentially get some help through college but it's on first come first serve basis so fingers crossed.
Original post by reens

I have 1 A Level and 2 AS levels, lol. I had to go to four different offices in my college haha to finally be told because it doesn't count as a "Full" level 3, I don't have to pay the fees. Its very confusing though, I signed a form and sent it off but didn't recieve anything back, now I have to wait until my induction so that I feel 100% sure I don't have to pay :s-smilie: Definitely talk to your college about it. Its frustrating because its a lot of money...
Anyone doing science ? I'm hoping to do pharmacy.
Has anyone managed to find any Access course syllabus information? I've tried, can't find a thing.

As far as I am aware the material is a condensed version of GCSE through to A-level, in the specific topics you chose.
Reply 196
Hello,

I recently enrolled on an Access to Nursing and Social Work course. The (possible?) problem is that I have somewhere around zero interest in going into nursing or social work, and the main reason I chose this course is due to the fact that it's the only Access course within a feasible distance of my home. The modules I chose are English, Maths, ICT, Literature and Sociology. I want to know what my university subject options would be with these. I realise all this may sound foolish and I am myself beginning to think that I made a mistake in enrolling, but I would appreciate some advice.
Reply 197
Okay, thank you. That's a relief to hear. I will do just that. :smile:
Reply 198
hello, Im starting my access to higher education course in next week. And I really like Maths. Got grade A in AS level. Ive chosen science pathway (higher maths, physics and chemistry). Did anybody have science pathway? How did you find? And also did anybody go to do degree in Mathematics? Thanks a lot.:smile:
Reply 199
Has anybody taken as Access course to get on to an Archaeology degree course? If so, which ones would you recommend?
I can only find one with direct relevancy in UK, but looking at uni entry requirements they also mention Humanities Access courses, but there are so many covering so many (non related) subjects.
I have contacted my first choice unis for guidance and am waiting for replies.
The course that is relevant is at the other end of the country to me and if I have to go there I will, but I'd like to know if there are other options out there?

Looking forward to your help on this :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending