The Student Room Group

>> About Access To Higher Education Courses <<

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mczakk
so i should be ok then, i've done both biology and chemistry at a level, biology at HND and chemistry at HNC, albeit years ago, and been working in those areas since :smile:

Yes, I would say you'd be fine. Most of the subjects I took I had studied at level 3 before so I found them fairly easy. You should have no problems except to re-fresh your knowledge of some details.
Reply 61
cool, just have to sit through a pre access course now, i suppose to make sure that i can still read and hold a pen the right way up!
Original post by mczakk
cool, just have to sit through a pre access course now, i suppose to make sure that i can still read and hold a pen the right way up!

I can't comment too much on pre-access courses - as far as I know there isn't one at my college (you either meet the criteria for the access course or you don't) - but my understanding of them is that they are for those who haven't showed that they have the necessary level 3 skills for the Access course and that it is a level 2 course that is the same as GCSEs. You might be better asking Wizardtop about them as they have attended one this year.
Reply 63
apparently its a neccessity if you want to do a coleg menai access course :frown:
just have to bite the bullet and sit through it!
Reply 64
Original post by mczakk
does anyone know where you can find out what you actually study on an access course? i've been looking for a syllabus everywhere and cant find one.

The answer to this question is pretty simple. There is no defined syllabus for Access courses. Often what happens is that each individual college forms a syllabus and goes to the examining body (in my case, NOCN) to get the syllabus approved. Some examining bodies do provide a syllabus; but, from what I've heard, colleges don't always strictly follow it and often introduce their own modules into the course.

The material does start at a quite low level, so chances are you will cover things you already know, especially in English and Maths. The problem is that it is a course designed for mature students, so it has to cover everything to ensure that those who haven't studied for 20-30 years aren't left behind.

At the end of the day, it's just a stepping stone to university. Whether or not you already know the stuff is irrelevant. Universities require a certificate that demonstrates that you know it, in order to get in.
Reply 65
Original post by TomU
At the end of the day, it's just a stepping stone to university. Whether or not you already know the stuff is irrelevant. Universities require a certificate that demonstrates that you know it, in order to get in.

i spoke to bangor uni today, and thats basically what they said, having been told that all they are looking for is a pass, and that they reccommend the access to he (science) course at coleg menai, i guess thats my next step!
ah well, better dig out the old satchel and pencil case for september!:smile:
Reply 66
My course seems to closely follow unit specifications that are set out by the OCNEMR; up until quite recently all the specs for each unit were available online via the OCNEMR website.

The unit specs give fixed "learning outcomes" and "assessment criteria".

It is then basically up to the college / course tutors to teach to that syllabus and then write assignment briefs or set exams that will ensure learners meet the assessment criteria.

I don't know why all courses aren't done that way, it would make it easier to find more detail on what the course is all about before starting.....
Reply 67
Original post by BigV
My course seems to closely follow unit specifications that are set out by the OCNEMR; up until quite recently all the specs for each unit were available online via the OCNEMR website.

The unit specs give fixed "learning outcomes" and "assessment criteria".

It is then basically up to the college / course tutors to teach to that syllabus and then write assignment briefs or set exams that will ensure learners meet the assessment criteria.

I don't know why all courses aren't done that way, it would make it easier to find more detail on what the course is all about before starting.....

agreed!

i'm going to go for it on the basis that the particular access course has been recommended by the school of ocean sciences at bangor as suitable preparation for their courses

i know this sounds very arrow minded, but in my case, its bangor or nowhere, as thats where my family and i are moving to.
As stated in my previous thread from some time ago, I flopped my GCSE's due to personal difficulties at the time and have not had the confidence to get back into education until recently. I am confident I have the ability but felt I did not have the opportunity as such to study my A-Levels at college with my very mediocre GCSE's(2 C's and all the rest D's). A girl on this forum suggested Access to HE and after looking into that, I feel it would be ideal, so thank you to that girl:smile:, "girlwithsharpteeth"...or something like that!

Anyway, I would just like a concern of mine put to rest, if possible. The closest college which caters for the specific subject that I would like to study at university(Journalism) is over a hundred miles away and not at all practical. However there are courses which may or may not be sufficient, i.e; "culture and media studies", would this be accepted at universties to study Journalism? Alternatively, would merely studying Humanities suffice?
Original post by BolloTheGorilla
As stated in my previous thread from some time ago, I flopped my GCSE's due to personal difficulties at the time and have not had the confidence to get back into education until recently. I am confident I have the ability but felt I did not have the opportunity as such to study my A-Levels at college with my very mediocre GCSE's(2 C's and all the rest D's). A girl on this forum suggested Access to HE and after looking into that, I feel it would be ideal, so thank you to that girl:smile:, &quot;girlwithsharpteeth&quot;...or something like that!

Anyway, I would just like a concern of mine put to rest, if possible. The closest college which caters for the specific subject that I would like to study at university(Journalism) is over a hundred miles away and not at all practical. However there are courses which may or may not be sufficient, i.e; &quot;culture and media studies&quot;, would this be accepted at universties to study Journalism? Alternatively, would merely studying Humanities suffice?

You're welcome :smile: I'm glad I helped. About the course, if you know what you want to study at uni and have a good idea of where you want to go it's a very good idea to contact the admissions team for that uni/course and ask them which they feel would better prepare you for the degree. That way they can see you're interested and you'll get the best and most accurate advice for which one they would prefer. Good luck!
Reply 70
how can you get 15 credits at lvl 2 if i have gcse english and it, so i dont need to do them in college, and i am doing lvl 2 numeracy?
Reply 71
Original post by BolloTheGorilla
As stated in my previous thread from some time ago, I flopped my GCSE's due to personal difficulties at the time and have not had the confidence to get back into education until recently. I am confident I have the ability but felt I did not have the opportunity as such to study my A-Levels at college with my very mediocre GCSE's(2 C's and all the rest D's). A girl on this forum suggested Access to HE and after looking into that, I feel it would be ideal, so thank you to that girl:smile:, "girlwithsharpteeth"...or something like that!

Anyway, I would just like a concern of mine put to rest, if possible. The closest college which caters for the specific subject that I would like to study at university(Journalism) is over a hundred miles away and not at all practical. However there are courses which may or may not be sufficient, i.e; "culture and media studies", would this be accepted at universties to study Journalism? Alternatively, would merely studying Humanities suffice?

I think the pathway you take is mostly irrelevant, I did an access course this year and half my class were on humanities pathway and half were on social science but we all did exactly the same units, just had slightly different mandatory units.

I got accepted to study economics with humanities and my friend got accepted to study computer science, both completely unrelated to anything we studied this year, so I would have thought you'd be fine with journalism!
Original post by DuckNow
I don't know if this is a pointless question or not but is a college based access course better than a university based access course? I was thinking , or hoping , that a university based one would be more tailored to a degree due to the affiliation. Probably wrong though:colondollar:

I think the main difference is just what you said - if you go for an access course ran by a Uni with a specific degree in mind, they will tailor it to prepare you for their degree course. That is good if you know exactly where you want to go but other access courses are maybe a bit less specific, so it's easier to apply to several places. That would be my thought anyway :wink:
Reply 73
Hey, If anybody wants to ask any questions about an access course, i have just completed one so im happy to answer any questions if i can :smile:
Reply 74
Hi carly,

I have one, could you please explain what grade descriptors are?
For example if you were given an assignment worth 6 credits, how would you be graded overall on that assignment, would they take the average grade of credits, i.e D/D/M/M/M/P = M overall ?

Thank you
Reply 75
Original post by BBary
Hi carly,

I have one, could you please explain what grade descriptors are?
For example if you were given an assignment worth 6 credits, how would you be graded overall on that assignment, would they take the average grade of credits, i.e D/D/M/M/M/P = M overall ?

Thank you

When assignments are composed of different pieces of work/submissions, an average is taken, yes. However most assignments are stand alone usually worth between 3 and 6 credits each. Fragmentation of assignments goes on, as you described, but there tend to me mainly 'stand alone' assignments where you have to submit one piece of work to achieve the credit rather than four, five or six.
Excuse me, Im 24 y old so I can consider my self a mature student :beer:, and I did application, but when they write me "Come and enrol" with whole list of documents to bring to them, Does it mean they took me ?

Sorry for the question of looks stupid but I'm foreigner and for me it's not all so clear and logical :P
Reply 77
Original post by Francescox24
Excuse me, Im 24 y old so I can consider my self a mature student :beer:, and I did application, but when they write me "Come and enrol" with whole list of documents to bring to them, Does it mean they took me ?

Sorry for the question of looks stupid but I'm foreigner and for me it's not all so clear and logical :P

Yeah, if they're asking you to enrol then you got in :smile:

Congratulations!
oh cool ,thanks :smile:
Still waiting for my diploma to come in the post. Notts Trent uni won't update my ucas until they see it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending