The Student Room Group

>> About Access To Higher Education Courses <<

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Hello fellow Access students!

My course is finished wahoo! Just need to figure out my place at uni!

So glad I did this course, would recommend it

xx
I just finished my Access course and I did find it difficult although I absolutely loved it.
My course was three days a week (Tue - Thu) and I had a total of 33 assignments including one shorter version of a dissertation. I am lucky as I had a supportive partner and no children to distract me. I treated the course like a full time job.

My class had students from 19 right up late 50's.
There was only 1 exam the rest were reports, postes, presentations and essays.

I knew before starting my access course that the Degree I wanted to do I needed 30 distinctions and the tutors said that it was a huge challenge and to not be too disappointed. I got 48 distinctions and 12 merits all Universities rejected my application saying that I needed to do A Levels as my academic background was not strong enough. (I am 28 and done my GCSE's in 2000, that’s is why I chose the access route) This was very frustrating and as a home owner, taking another two years out before even getting to University is not an option.

I did check all the requirements prior to starting the course and went to many open days and spoke to the tutors about what they wanted. Just be warned that Uni's can change their mind with what they require. I was made aware the Access course was the equivalent to A levels. This is not always the case

Good luck to everyone who has just finished and off to Uni

Good luck to those who have chosen to do an access course this year. It is fantastic and you will meet people that will become great friends.
Reply 102
Original post by Michelleuk691
I just finished my Access course and I did find it difficult although I absolutely loved it.
My course was three days a week (Tue - Thu) and I had a total of 33 assignments including one shorter version of a dissertation. I am lucky as I had a supportive partner and no children to distract me. I treated the course like a full time job.

My class had students from 19 right up late 50's.
There was only 1 exam the rest were reports, postes, presentations and essays.

I knew before starting my access course that the Degree I wanted to do I needed 30 distinctions and the tutors said that it was a huge challenge and to not be too disappointed. I got 48 distinctions and 12 merits all Universities rejected my application saying that I needed to do A Levels as my academic background was not strong enough. (I am 28 and done my GCSE's in 2000, that’s is why I chose the access route) This was very frustrating and as a home owner, taking another two years out before even getting to University is not an option.

I did check all the requirements prior to starting the course and went to many open days and spoke to the tutors about what they wanted. Just be warned that Uni's can change their mind with what they require. I was made aware the Access course was the equivalent to A levels. This is not always the case

Good luck to those who have chosen to do an access course this year. It is fantastic and you will meet people that will become great friends.

Oh no! That's ridiculous! I have rubbish GCSE's (apart from English and drama) which is why I'm doing the access route.

I'm so sorry to hear your situation, especially with all those distinctions I got 45 distinctions 15 merits and I have failed to gain a place so far because of lack of experience mainly, so I'm holding out for extra.

Are you applying through extra / clearing? There's bound to be uni's out there who will eagerly take you on with those grades, don't give up now! I haven't although I'm checking my emails every 10 minutes and jumping every time the phone rings!

Good luck with everything! x
Original post by KatsToes
Oh no! That's ridiculous! I have rubbish GCSE's (apart from English and drama) which is why I'm doing the access route.

I'm so sorry to hear your situation, especially with all those distinctions I got 45 distinctions 15 merits and I have failed to gain a place so far because of lack of experience mainly, so I'm holding out for extra.

Are you applying through extra / clearing? There's bound to be uni's out there who will eagerly take you on with those grades, don't give up now! I haven't although I'm checking my emails every 10 minutes and jumping every time the phone rings!

Good luck with everything! x

I have also applied through Ucas extra for a different course so I have everything crossed and keep checking my emails every 2 minutes. Its so hard no to keep calling them but hopefully hear somthing soon. What course have you applied for?
I am a positive person so not getting in through my desired course has made me open my eyes to more possibilites and now wish I had applied for this one right from the start. Fingers crossed and good luck to you. l
Reply 104
I have also applied through Ucas extra for a different course so I have everything crossed and keep checking my emails every 2 minutes. Its so hard no to keep calling them but hopefully hear somthing soon. What course have you applied for?
I am a positive person so not getting in through my desired course has made me open my eyes to more possibilites and now wish I had applied for this one right from the start. Fingers crossed and good luck to you. l

Thank you! Good luck to you too.

I have applied for speech therapy, I left it really late to apply and most of the courses were full up, so I'm waiting to hear back and then who knows... if I don't get in hopefully there will be something for me in clearing! - and for you to, what course are you applying for?

Sending positive vibes your way!
Reply 105
I just finished my access to English, Writing, and media and have the results my firm choice asked for. September this year I will be attending Sheffield Hallam who I found deal great with Access students. I'm 20 and was the youngest in my Access class but it didn't make much difference: everyone got along really well. I would encourage anyone to do an access as everyone who completed my course is now going to Uni. Some of the Uni's my classmates are going to are: Sheffield Hallam, Goldsmiths, Manchester, Man Met, Salford, Birmingham and Liverpool.

Good luck to you all :smile:
Reply 106
I am 21 and have just completed my Access course. I am starting a sports therapy course in September at Birmingham uni so excited.

I would recommend the access course, I only got 4 Cs in my GCSEs so have done really well to get a uni place, all thanks to the access course

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 107
Hi everyone, well I'm 22 years old, left school in 06 with average grades (english was my best at B+, whereas maths I only received an E grade... ) I've worked full time in a pub for 5 years and I'm sick of it now and ready to get back into education. I applied to the Lincoln college for the Access to HE healthcare practitioner course as I want to get into nursing, and have been invited to an assessment on the 15th. I'm very nervous about this - I know it entails numeracy and literacy tests (I have done similar things before during NVQ studies at work) - Can anyone advise me as to what to expect from these? And if I pass these and get to an interview, I'm worried they won't take me seriously as I'm still a fairly young "mature student." or am I worrying for nothing? I am just so desperate to get into this course but I'm worried - are they difficult to get accepted on to? any advice will really be greatly appreciated. :s-smilie:
Reply 108
Can anyone tell me if when we have received our access certificate do we need to notify our university's of our overall grades like A level students do?? my offer is unconditional, I've confirmed it etc
Thanks

Reply 109
Reply 110
Is an access course always necessary as a mature student?
I'm 28 and completed my A'levels 10 years ago now. I'm considering going back into education to study art and design - my A'levels were in other subjects and I only achieved an AS level in art.
I don't think I will be able to fund doing an access course (and don't think you can get funding for this?) and have been told that some unis will accept you (on an art course) without having done an access course. Is this right?
Any words of advice would be much appreciated as I'm very keen to return to the world of study, although very nervous / apprehensive after almost 10 years of full-time employment!
Many thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 111
I think if you have A levels already you shouldn't have to take an Access course, but I don't think I'm qualified to say for sure!
I had to take the Access route because I only had a level 2 course (Business Studies), but if you already have A levels should be ok. Maybe you should email around the uni's you're interested in tell them your grades experience etc and see if they would consider you?

There is no funding / student loans for Access... I couldn't even open a student bank account and had to rely on my savings / help from parents
Reply 112
Thank you - I think I will chacek it out with unis. I know when you do a degree in art and design, even straight after college at 18, you need to do an extra year foundation course, although a friend who is doing an art and design degree said this wouldn't be necessary. Thus, all VERY confusing!! Thank you though, glad to have found this sounding board!
Reply 113
Has anybody here finished or know of anyone completing an access course then going on to study a Uni course that is completely unrelated to the pathways on the access? I should be about to start an access with biology and chemistry I hope to go on to Uni studying something media related, I guess it all depends on the Uni and what their specific requirements are but would be good to know if anyone has done this and what courses they chose.
Reply 114
Original post by J Lang
Has anybody here finished or know of anyone completing an access course then going on to study a Uni course that is completely unrelated to the pathways on the access? I should be about to start an access with biology and chemistry I hope to go on to Uni studying something media related, I guess it all depends on the Uni and what their specific requirements are but would be good to know if anyone has done this and what courses they chose.

Have you checked with the universities you'll be applying for that this will be acceptable? It is definately worth emailing them to be sure.
Reply 115

That's really terrible. I hope you're able to work something out.

So, did they just change their minds, or was the information they gave you incorrect? If you checked all of the entry requirements, went to open days and spoke with tutors, what more could you do?

You also got very high grades; according to Durham's equivalencies chart, well above A*AA at A-level. Did they explain exactly what they meant by "academic background was not strong enough"? Especially as they have apparently changed their minds.

I only have 1 year to go to university, or it's never going to happen. I thought taking an Access course would, in balance, be the better option than trying to self-teach 3 science A-levels in 9 months.

But if they even reject (almost) full marks in an Access course, then I'd be screwed.

Again, I really hope you have the time and/or support to work something out, because it seems like several people have really screwed you over.

Good luck.
Reply 116
Hi guys
Does anyone know if abroad universities accept access to HE for dentistry or is it just UK that accept it? thx
(edited 11 years ago)
Just had my tests etc today. One thing the women said in the discussion was that we should have a year out from education before this course. I haven't:/ I have explained in my interview booklet that I realised I wanted to be a nurse etc but didn't want to drop out.
Worried I won't get in! I'm sure I aced the tests tho:/
What you all think?

Hey guys wondering if you can help me, I'm starting a part time access sept, studying english, it and nursing & healthcare this year and physical sciences and sociology next year. (all level 3)
i need 45 credits at level 3 of which 24 need to be distinctions and 18 of these need to be in science or healthcare.

My query is how many credits can you get per subject?
Thanks in advance
carly cx
What classifies as "passing" the Access Course? (HEFC Access L3 Diploma). Is it a certain amount of L3's obtained? If so; how many?

I'd really like to know as I have no idea about it. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest