The Student Room Group

>> About Access To Higher Education Courses <<

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dezz21
I am 21 and have just completed my Access course. I am starting a sports therapy course in September at Birmingham uni so excited.

I would recommend the access course, I only got 4 Cs in my GCSEs so have done really well to get a uni place, all thanks to the access course

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hey you got C's in your GCSE's and still going to uni? Well done! I just wanted to know what subjects did you do during the access course?
Original post by jadek1992
Just had my tests etc today. One thing the women said in the discussion was that we should have a year out from education before this course. I haven't:/ I have explained in my interview booklet that I realised I wanted to be a nurse etc but didn't want to drop out.
Worried I won't get in! I'm sure I aced the tests tho:/
What you all think?

Sup, I had my tests yesterday, and I also left some sort of education this year aswell, so I haven't had a year off. But it's been 3 years since I finished GCSE's. I'm starting next week aswell, enrolled today.

It shouldn't really be a problem anyway, I don't think
Reply 122
Hey, I just started on an Access course, I sort of rushed into it at the last minute so now I'm trying to figure out what my options for university are and decide what I want to do. I've known I wanted to go for a while but it's only recently I decided to do something about it. I'm fairly sure I want to study mathematics or something closely related, and if possible I'd like to stay in the north-west though I am open to moving further afield. I am studying Maths (L3, 21 credits), Biology (L3, 21 credits), Statistics (L2, 6 credits), Popular Culture (L2, 6 credits), HE Tool Kit (L3, 3 credits) and Study Techniques (L2, 3 credits). At GCSE my best was an A in maths, I only got a few others aside from that.

On my Access course I am confident I can go for top grades and I intend to apply for the best universities I can get into.

What are my possibilities with this realistically? What else should I be doing right now to improve my prospects?
Reply 123
Original post by jleroy
Hey, I just started on an Access course, I sort of rushed into it at the last minute so now I'm trying to figure out what my options for university are and decide what I want to do. I've known I wanted to go for a while but it's only recently I decided to do something about it. I'm fairly sure I want to study mathematics or something closely related, and if possible I'd like to stay in the north-west though I am open to moving further afield. I am studying Maths (L3, 21 credits), Biology (L3, 21 credits), Statistics (L2, 6 credits), Popular Culture (L2, 6 credits), HE Tool Kit (L3, 3 credits) and Study Techniques (L2, 3 credits). At GCSE my best was an A in maths, I only got a few others aside from that.

On my Access course I am confident I can go for top grades and I intend to apply for the best universities I can get into.

What are my possibilities with this realistically? What else should I be doing right now to improve my prospects?

If you are confident you can pitch for the good grades then go for it - there is nothing wrong with being ambitious. There is a chap on here (I think TomU) who did an Access course and got into Cambridge to study law, so it's definitely possible.

A lot of the top Universities like to see transferable skills - for instance I have worked near enough full time since leaving school at 17 (I did an extra year due to health problems) and some of this has been relevant to the degree I want to do (Psychology).

I am planning to apply to three "top" universities and two good universities with decent departments. That way, if for whatever reason I do not achieve the results I intend to (and I won't give up lightly) I will have something to fall back on.
Hi completed my Access Course in June. I loved it :smile: lots of hard work but it was worth it. I'm now waiting to start Uni in October, to study Experimental Psychology at the University of Bristol ( my first choice) I also applied to Bath where I got an interview. I don't have great GCSEs but I worked hard and got the marks the Uni wanted. It's so important to know what marks they want from you and focus on achieving those marks from day one, I had a note stuck to my computer with the entry requirements on it and as I gained them I would cross them out. Your Personal Statement is soo important, don't be shy about asking for help or asking to look at other peoples even if they aren't applying for the same course as you it can be really helpful. Don't be afraid to apply to the top Universities I know of people who did the Access Course with me, who gained places at KCL and Bath. I feel the only difficulty in apply to Oxbridge is that their UCAS deadline is so close to the start of the Access Course and at that point you may not have done enough assignments to really gain your footing. So don't stress just work hard and stay focused on your goal. Going to University.

(edited 11 years ago)
Hello everyone :smile:
I am new user, I have a few questions;

I would like to study zoology . In the next year I will be 21 years old.
I want to do the Access to Higher Education course (science) but I don't know which college will be the most suitable. However, I would like to know that is important which college I will choose ? For example if I want to study zoology at Manchester University I need to finish this course at Manchester college ? Do universities have their colleges ?

Thank you so :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 126
Hiya,

I'm thinking of enrolling onto an Access course next year. I have 10 GCSE's at B/C grade and 3 AS levels, unfortunately I did not complete the A2 section due to family circumstances. At the moment I am 19, (20 at the time of joining the course) and I am currently working full time. However, the problem I have is the course that I would eventually want to study at uni would be Sociology/Criminology related, my local college offers a combined access course for £700 that does not cover Sociology, but it does cover Psychology. I could commute to a college in the neighbouring city, which would take about 40 mins, they offer a Social Science course, totally free of charge...
I'm kind of confused as to what I should do; if I took the combined course, would I even get offers if I applied for a Sociology related course? Also, on their website it just states the price of £700, but do you think in some circumstances it would be free? Or should I commute each day, and study a course associated to what I want to do.

Thanks!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Reply 127
I've spent the last three days searching for an Access to HE course in the sciences that would allow me to graduate with level 3 qualifications in both physics and mathematics, but I cannot find a course which specifically supports such needs.

Has anyone found or even partaken in such a course?
Reply 128
hi,

Iv been invited for an interview at Kingston college to do my access nursing course. Im studying for my NVQ 3 in health and social care at the moment. But iv got my heart set on becoming an adult nurse!what shall i do?? my assessor is crap and hasn't discussed the benefits when i finish the course.stay doing my NVQ or go to college.. pros and cons??

Thankss :biggrin:
Reply 129
Original post by JustNaturAllie
Hi completed my Access Course in June. I loved it :smile: lots of hard work but it was worth it. I'm now waiting to start Uni in October, to study Experimental Psychology at the University of Bristol ( my first choice) I also applied to Bath where I got an interview. I don't have great GCSEs but I worked hard and got the marks the Uni wanted. It's so important to know what marks they want from you and focus on achieving those marks from day one, I had a note stuck to my computer with the entry requirements on it and as I gained them I would cross them out. Your Personal Statement is soo important, don't be shy about asking for help or asking to look at other peoples even if they aren't applying for the same course as you it can be really helpful. Don't be afraid to apply to the top Universities I know of people who did the Access Course with me, who gained places at KCL and Bath. I feel the only difficulty in apply to Oxbridge is that their UCAS deadline is so close to the start of the Access Course and at that point you may not have done enough assignments to really gain your footing. So don't stress just work hard and stay focused on your goal. Going to University.

Hey! What was your final (average) grade on your access course? I got 75% on mine. I'm applying for psychology now, but I'm not sure if 75 is good enough to get in anywhere, cause I'm not sure what it's equivalent to in terms of A-Levels...
Original post by Lara5
Hey! What was your final (average) grade on your access course? I got 75% on mine. I'm applying for psychology now, but I'm not sure if 75 is good enough to get in anywhere, cause I'm not sure what it's equivalent to in terms of A-Levels...

Hi, from reading other comments about access courses it is clear that a lot of them are marked in different ways. The course I did was marked in terms of level 2 (GCSE) or level 3 (A-level) and at level 3 you could either get a pass, merit or distinction for each assignment. When I was applying to Uni, last year, the entry requirement for Bristol Uni were 4 distinctions and 7 merits in maths and two science subjects, I did statistics, biology and psychology. I'm not sure how that translates into percentages sorry :/. The best advice I can give you is to look on the UCAS site for the entry requirements and if you can't find the information there get in touch with the university and ask them, I'm sure they'll be happy to answer any questions you have. I hope this helps :smile:

Reply 131
I'm still debating whether to take the Access course or not. I'll be 19 by September this year and I haven't had much luck at sixth form - I didn't go at all in 2010 for personal reasons, and in 2011 I went part time taking AS History but due to serious illness that knocked me out for two months I was unable to take the exams.
I went back in Sept 2012, full time, taking AS film studies, photography and graphic design. Graphics turned out not be the thing for me (I seem to be more academic rather than practical, which I didn't know until I took that subject) and I ended up dropping it about a month ago. Now I'm only taking the two subjects, seriously kicking myself for not taking history again, and facing another two years at college if I continue down the A Level route if they won't let me take both AS and A2 in a subject next year.

...So that's what brought me to the Access course. My college offers it over one year and I would study history, law, english and sociology. I'm at the point where I just want to go to university now, my best friend will be going in the next school year and I already feel... old at 18 with all 16 year olds in my classes.

So yeah, my questions: What's the general age range on the access courses? Obviously it depends and I'm sure I'll be the youngest but I'm still curious.
I'm planning on studying history & publishing or criminology (most likely the former) at university. I assume what I'd be studying will be appropiate for that...? Thanks
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 132
Original post by tyruk
I've spent the last three days searching for an Access to HE course in the sciences that would allow me to graduate with level 3 qualifications in both physics and mathematics, but I cannot find a course which specifically supports such needs.

Has anyone found or even partaken in such a course?

Not sure whether you have found a course yet but I'm doing a mathematics and physics access course.
It depends where you live and if you are willing to relocate though.
The course I am on is at Leeds City College and is called science and engineering( most of the people on the course doing these two options, as opposed to biology or chemisty, have applied for engineering degrees- I havent though).
Hope that helps and good luck :-)
Reply 133
Original post by lisbeths

So yeah, my questions: What's the general age range on the access courses? Obviously it depends and I'm sure I'll be the youngest but I'm still curious.
I'm planning on studying history & publishing or criminology (most likely the former) at university. I assume what I'd be studying will be appropiate for that...? Thanks

There really isn't a general age. Youngest on the access course I'm on is 19 ( well I know of two 19 year olds), the majority are in their 20's to early 30's(so still a wide range), but some are 45+.
Everyone has something in common though and that is the fact that everyone is there because they want to get to uni, are willing to work hard for it and jniw what they want to do.

Good luck and I hope you get to where you want to be :-)
Reply 134
Hi,
I am going on an access to higher education nursing and midwifery this September 2013, does anybody know if I will apply for university at the start of me course or when it has finished.
I though I would be applying at the start of my course so I could go university the following year? however a lady I talked to at my college seemed to think I would apply for university after my course had finished.....but then wouldn't I have to wait a year after my course has finished to go University?
Please help!
Reply 135
Original post by amyfairy
Hi,
I am going on an access to higher education nursing and midwifery this September 2013, does anybody know if I will apply for university at the start of me course or when it has finished.
I though I would be applying at the start of my course so I could go university the following year? however a lady I talked to at my college seemed to think I would apply for university after my course had finished.....but then wouldn't I have to wait a year after my course has finished to go University?
Please help!

Hello,

You will start working on your UCAS application whilst you are doing your access course, you will start your access course in September, start working on your UCAS then as well. Your form tutor will assist you with your personal statement and any other queries you have. After they are satisfied with your personal statement, they send off your application to UCAS before the cut off date. As long as you complete the course and work hard, you will attend uni September 2014. Hope this helps and all the best.
Hi everyone my name is Basit and i am 19 years old and i am a full time student and i am intreasted in being a computing and i would like to know that if i do an access to HE education course in engineering . Will i be able to do a master degree in computer science at the university?
Hi
I would like to know which course is better for doing a computer science degree at university?

Is A levels better or BTEC for computer science?
I start an access to Business and management course in September at Brighton City College ! Cant wait :smile:
Hi Guys,

This is my first official post here and as I am currently an Access student I thought I would share my experience of it.

For the qualification and the chance to get into University it's such a great pathway!

I am doing two optional modules:

English Literature
Education Studies

and Core subjects:

Maths
IT
English Study Skills

I have been offered two conditional offers by Aston and Coventry University to study English.

A word of warning though: Be prepared to commit yourself as it's takes up a lot of time and effort particulary doing it full time over a one year period. There are students on the course who have children and jobs and I seriously have respect for them. I study full time, have to do a placement as part of my Ed. Studies module and I work weekends. It's seriously hard going and takes so much effort but hey I got offered two places so it is so worth it!

I hope that helps anyone who is aspiring to enter on to an Access Course! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending