The Student Room Group

>> About Access To Higher Education Courses <<

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Basitsiddique
Hi everyone my name is Basit and i am 19 years old and i am a full time student and i am intreasted in being a computing and i would like to know that if i do an access to HE education course in engineering . Will i be able to do a master degree in computer science at the university?

Access to HE will only qualify you for entry to an undergraduate degree, not Masters. But given that you are only 19, you better do A Levels or BTEC as Access courses are generally for over 21s.
I've been accepted onto an Access to HE Engineering course starting in September. I assumed I'd be able to apply for a student finance loan to pay for the course but after reading this thread that doesn't seem to be the case. After a bit of googling I came across this https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learning-loans/overview. I'll be 25 when the course starts, so I'm guessing this is the way to go?
Reply 142
Original post by Gemimasaurus
Hi Guys,

This is my first official post here and as I am currently an Access student I thought I would share my experience of it.

For the qualification and the chance to get into University it's such a great pathway!

I am doing two optional modules:

English Literature
Education Studies

and Core subjects:

Maths
IT
English Study Skills

I have been offered two conditional offers by Aston and Coventry University to study English.

A word of warning though: Be prepared to commit yourself as it's takes up a lot of time and effort particulary doing it full time over a one year period. There are students on the course who have children and jobs and I seriously have respect for them. I study full time, have to do a placement as part of my Ed. Studies module and I work weekends. It's seriously hard going and takes so much effort but hey I got offered two places so it is so worth it!

I hope that helps anyone who is aspiring to enter on to an Access Course! :smile:

Couldn't agree more. I'm currently doing the course in Social Sciences (Psychology and Sociology) and really love it. It's really rewarding however as you mentioned it requires so much comittment and time, however I'm on my way to university so if anyone is considering it and not afraid if hard work, I'd say go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 143
Can you still apply for Access to higher education courses if you're currently doing A-Levels? I'm currently 19 and finishing my A2 year.
Reply 144
Original post by em474747
Couldn't agree more. I'm currently doing the course in Social Sciences (Psychology and Sociology) and really love it. It's really rewarding however as you mentioned it requires so much comittment and time, however I'm on my way to university so if anyone is considering it and not afraid if hard work, I'd say go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just about to complete my access course in the same fields, I've also really enjoyed it and after being out of education for 7 years it was daunting coming back. Thankfully and surprisingly I've got distinctions across the board (Probably the best I've ever done in my education), it's been tough working full-time and studying but it's definitely something I'd recommend too it's certainly rewarding as I've bagged a place at Lancaster for Social Work (number 1 in the country!). Just exams now, nervous!
Reply 145
Original post by Puparia
I'm just about to complete my access course in the same fields, I've also really enjoyed it and after being out of education for 7 years it was daunting coming back. Thankfully and surprisingly I've got distinctions across the board (Probably the best I've ever done in my education), it's been tough working full-time and studying but it's definitely something I'd recommend too it's certainly rewarding as I've bagged a place at Lancaster for Social Work (number 1 in the country!). Just exams now, nervous!

Well done! I've got a place at the University of Sheffield if I pass my exams too! Good luck :smile:
Reply 146
Original post by em474747
Well done! I've got a place at the University of Sheffield if I pass my exams too! Good luck :smile:

hey there, well done by the way! iv also got a place at Lancaster for social work, iv firmed my offer and will be starting in 0ctober.. see you there
Original post by Zyekanz
Can you still apply for Access to higher education courses if you're currently doing A-Levels? I'm currently 19 and finishing my A2 year.

Yep, i did just that last year :smile:
Reply 148
i got rejected to do an access course because i am not and have only been out of school for four years! Now i have to wait till next year to apply! NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and also is there anything i can do to complain etc
Reply 149
Original post by DLau88
i got rejected to do an access course because i am not and have only been out of school for four years! Now i have to wait till next year to apply! NOT HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and also is there anything i can do to complain etc

that seems a bit unfair, what institution did you apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 150
Original post by ebowey
that seems a bit unfair, what institution did you apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i meant to say three years! i applied to do access to podiatry at a college in scotland!
Reply 151
Original post by Gemimasaurus
Hi Guys,

This is my first official post here and as I am currently an Access student I thought I would share my experience of it.

For the qualification and the chance to get into University it's such a great pathway!

I am doing two optional modules:

English Literature
Education Studies

and Core subjects:

Maths
IT
English Study Skills

I have been offered two conditional offers by Aston and Coventry University to study English.

A word of warning though: Be prepared to commit yourself as it's takes up a lot of time and effort particulary doing it full time over a one year period. There are students on the course who have children and jobs and I seriously have respect for them. I study full time, have to do a placement as part of my Ed. Studies module and I work weekends. It's seriously hard going and takes so much effort but hey I got offered two places so it is so worth it!

I hope that helps anyone who is aspiring to enter on to an Access Course! :smile:

I agree, doing an access course is no walk in the park. Especially as a single mother with two children and two jobs. I feel like the first year of my degree will be a welcome rest. I done mine in four core subjects, sociology, psychology, eng lit. history. I also had to do study skills and also modules in math and ict as my gcse's we more than 3 years old. I finished yesterday after doing my final end of year presentation and receiving my grades from my extended essay. I achieved 30 credits at distinction and the rest at merit. I never thought I would get to the end, but I am now off to Cardiff to study Psychology and education. Good luck any one starting or finishing up their access course
Reply 152
Hey this is myaccess story if any one is interested, I have posted on other threads similarcontent (sorry if I repeat myself) I studied access to combined studies(Humanities) where there were four substantive subjects (sociology, psychology,history and eng literature) each was made up of three modules worth threecredits each = 36 credits at level three. I also had to do study skills, twomodules at level 2 and one at level three (again the level three worth 3credits) also as I done my gcse's over 10 years ago I had to do modules atlevel two in math and Ict, which you could do at level three if you wish. Ialso had to do an end of tear extended essay (which was much more than anessay, you had to include plans, research, action plans, literature reviews)that is worth 9 credits at level three, and then finally a oral presentationalso worth 3 credits at level three.

By the end ofthe course you will be a pro at Harvard referencing, and one piece of advise ifyou have to do study skills (I know all welsh colleges have to) then take itseriously….if you do not pass it you fail the course.

We normally hadtwo weeks to do an assessment, then if we failed one week to re submit, if youfailed a third time then you failed and had to go up for appeals at the end ofthe year for third submission. Also if you missed the deadline you were cappedat a pas, any later than a week and you failed.

As many havementioned it is not a walk in the park and will take over your life and if youwant good grades you have to work for them. Even my children commented on how Iwas always to busy to do things with them.

Most uni’srequire a pass (this is because the access course used to operate on adifferent system, it was simply pass or fail. Some uni’s have not realised thechange yet so still offer passes as a condition……I know this as I done theaccess course on the old system around 10 years ago….and dropped out)
However morehigh profile or Russell group uni’s require higher grades. I received 5 offers,all but one required a pass, the other was Cardiff, which was my firm andrequired at least 18 credits at distinction (I got 30 at distinction and therest merit……this involved a lot of hard work)

I hope allfinishing up the access course or starting in September enjoy the course, becauseregardless of the pressure and commitment that you have to give it is also fun.I made plenty of new friends and now feel very prepared to do a degree.
Reply 153
Original post by becs0511
Hey this is myaccess story if any one is interested, I have posted on other threads similarcontent (sorry if I repeat myself) I studied access to combined studies(Humanities) where there were four substantive subjects (sociology, psychology,history and eng literature) each was made up of three modules worth threecredits each = 36 credits at level three. I also had to do study skills, twomodules at level 2 and one at level three (again the level three worth 3credits) also as I done my gcse's over 10 years ago I had to do modules atlevel two in math and Ict, which you could do at level three if you wish. Ialso had to do an end of tear extended essay (which was much more than anessay, you had to include plans, research, action plans, literature reviews)that is worth 9 credits at level three, and then finally a oral presentationalso worth 3 credits at level three.

By the end ofthe course you will be a pro at Harvard referencing, and one piece of advise ifyou have to do study skills (I know all welsh colleges have to) then take itseriously….if you do not pass it you fail the course.

We normally hadtwo weeks to do an assessment, then if we failed one week to re submit, if youfailed a third time then you failed and had to go up for appeals at the end ofthe year for third submission. Also if you missed the deadline you were cappedat a pas, any later than a week and you failed.

As many havementioned it is not a walk in the park and will take over your life and if youwant good grades you have to work for them. Even my children commented on how Iwas always to busy to do things with them.

Most uni’srequire a pass (this is because the access course used to operate on adifferent system, it was simply pass or fail. Some uni’s have not realised thechange yet so still offer passes as a condition……I know this as I done theaccess course on the old system around 10 years ago….and dropped out)
However morehigh profile or Russell group uni’s require higher grades. I received 5 offers,all but one required a pass, the other was Cardiff, which was my firm andrequired at least 18 credits at distinction (I got 30 at distinction and therest merit……this involved a lot of hard work)

I hope allfinishing up the access course or starting in September enjoy the course, becauseregardless of the pressure and commitment that you have to give it is also fun.I made plenty of new friends and now feel very prepared to do a degree.

Hi there, Im looking at doing an access course in combined studies this year too, I really suck with presentations but don't want it to put me off. how long did it have to be and what was it about? any info on this course is much appreciated, thanks
Reply 154
Original post by djgno1
Hi there, Im looking at doing an access course in combined studies this year too, I really suck with presentations but don't want it to put me off. how long did it have to be and what was it about? any info on this course is much appreciated, thanks

Presentations were my weak areas!
It is down to the course tutor if they set presentations for any assessments! However the end of year one you have to do and need the credits to pass the course!

The end of year one is based on your extend essay and was a ten minute power point presentation! Mine was in cognitive psychologies contribution to education!
I had two further presentations as part of my assessments! One is history and one is sociology! Both ten to 15 minutes! I hated every minute of both these because it was a set question! The one based on my extended essay was on a topic I picked and had done months of research in so felt so much more confident!
Try not to let nerves take over! Everyone feels the same! We had people this year have nervous break downs, cry and leave the room but they still got through it!

Good luck with your course!
Original post by Stacey203
Not sure whether you have found a course yet but I'm doing a mathematics and physics access course.
It depends where you live and if you are willing to relocate though.
The course I am on is at Leeds City College and is called science and engineering( most of the people on the course doing these two options, as opposed to biology or chemisty, have applied for engineering degrees- I havent though).
Hope that helps and good luck :-)

Hey

I will be starting the same course as you in 2014 at the same college

Please tell me more, what's the course like? How are the subjects broken up into different units? Is there any preparation you'd recommend me to take?

Im currently at Park Lane and did maths and core science gcse this year, I'm on track for an A and A* respectively :-D next year I'll be doing maths AS level, additional science gcse and IGCSE chemistry.

I want to do maths and chemistry for chemical engineering, I've been told by leeds uni that I need 45 level three credits at distinction, is that hard to achieve?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 156
Original post by ApplyYourself
Hey

I will be starting the same course as you in 2014 at the same college

Please tell me more, what's the course like? How are the subjects broken up into different units? Is there any preparation you'd recommend me to take?

Im currently at Park Lane and did maths and core science gcse this year, I'm on track for an A and A* respectively :-D next year I'll be doing maths AS level, additional science gcse and IGCSE chemistry.

I want to do maths and chemistry for chemical engineering, I've been told by leeds uni that I need 45 level three credits at distinction, is that hard to achieve?

Thanks in advance :smile:

45 credits at distinction pretty much means every piece of work you do has to be distinction! So you have to be doing your best from the start
Original post by becs0511
45 credits at distinction pretty much means every piece of work you do has to be distinction! So you have to be doing your best from the start

Thanks for that, I thought it'd be tough when they told me.
I will be starting the Foundation Programme Joint Honours degree at Derby University :biggrin: thought I would be doing Access but can't due to financial circumstances.

I will be taking:

Level 2 -
+ English
+ Maths

Level 3 -
+ Study Skills
+ American Studies
+ Business
+ History

I cannot wait for 16th September to come!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lisbeths
Hey guys, I have a question. It's a bit longwinded so I apologise in advance.

I had my interview a couple of weeks ago and the first thing the lady asked me was if I had phoned my choices of universities to ask about the entry requirements. I said that I have a list of my choices and the entry requirements that I found off of UCAS/the university's website or from emailing them directly if they weren't displayed. She wasn't happy with this at all and I actually got a bit of a telling off for not phoning them...? She was adament that I had to call them.

She then went on to tell a story about one of her previous students who and got in to a good university for only 30 distinctions instead of 45 like they originally asked... so I'm assuming that she wants me to try and 'haggle' for lower entry requirements. But here's the catch, I have severe social anxiety (which she is aware of, we actually discussed it in the interview) and speaking on the phone, let alone negotiating something, is not something I'm able to do (certainly not the latter).... so I'm a bit stumped. I tried asking her again what she meant by phoning them at the interview but she didn't answer me and just told me to call them.

Does anyone else know what she could mean? Or is it what I'm guessing? I'm planning on going to a couple of open days so I could ask then (I'm better talking in person)...
She is very... intimidating, so I'm hesitant to ask her again.

To be honest, she is being very demanding and picky for no reason. You've done the right thing, you've researched and emailed - thats' good. I presume she is wanting you to have verbal communication with them - why that's necessary I don't know.

However, in your situation, I would call them. It will help with your confidence and you can always ask, "you ask for 30 distinctions, what happens if I get 27?" You don't have to haggle, just ask questions.

You will be expected to contribute verbally in class and give presentations, you will be ****ting yourself for them (we all do) so, consider this some practice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending