The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BUMP :puppyeyes:
I studied this at sixth form. The syllabus wasn't too difficult, my course consisted of part religious history and part studying the Gospels (esp Luke)

Doing well in the subject requires more than merely memorising a textbook, you have to engage yourself with it.
Reply 3
I didnt find the content very hard but for some reason I just couldnt write the essays up to the required standard, I'm not bad at essays but these ones I really struggled with.

I got A* at GCSE and a C at AS Level
Reply 4
I got A* at GCSE and a C at As level as well. :p: I enjoy the subject, i would recommend it over sociology. I do both.
Reply 5
jabed786
So my plan was to study Sociology in a year, but I am thinking of doing RE instead. I need to get an A in the subject so I wanted to know how hard is RE, I know its totally subjective. I am quite good at writing essays and good at memorising.

But is there a lot to learn? If I memorised a textbook and just used that and a little guidance from teachers. Would that be a good plan?

Hey I do R.E:smile: It's not incredibly hard but there's a lot to take in:smile: Much of it concerns writing good essays. I only revised 3/5 topics in each of my modules lol and managed a good result (189/200). If you have a good memory and a good interest, the subject could be for you...

GCSE: A* AS level: A:biggrin:
Reply 6
jfox223
Hey I do R.E:smile: It's not incredibly hard but there's a lot to take in:smile: Much of it concerns writing good essays. I only revised 3/5 topics in each of my modules lol and managed a good result (189/200). If you have a good memory and a good interest, the subject could be for you...

GCSE: A* AS level: A:biggrin:

I see you do Biology as well :smile:
is it AQA by any chance, if so, do you find Biology more easier to study for than RE?
Reply 7
I got a B at AS.

It is difficult because it involves so much thinking, but it's mindblowing and the most interesting subject I've done. :smile:
Reply 8
It's really easy (well, the AS is) - I got high A's in my modules with just night before revision and piss about lessons - then again, I can grasp and explain concepts very easily, compared to some.

Some people who got an A* in AS RE found it really hard and only got a C/low B - it just depends how easy you find explaining concepts and arguing points are.

What exam board are you with? - I did mine with OCR.

I'd imagine it is easier than sociology. If you do it, long winded essays are often not the best thing - I got better marks than most people (3rd best in school) and wrote half as much as most.

I see you want to do Econ at Manc next year, surely you'd do far better taking Maths instead of another humanity???? and have a far more competitive application.
Reply 9
paella
It's really easy (well, the AS is) - I got high A's in my modules with just night before revision and piss about lessons - then again, I can grasp and explain concepts very easily, compared to some.

Some people who got an A* in AS RE found it really hard and only got a C/low B - it just depends how easy you find explaining concepts and arguing points are.

What exam board are you with? - I did mine with OCR.

I'd imagine it is easier than sociology. If you do it, long winded essays are often not the best thing - I got better marks than most people (3rd best in school) and wrote half as much as most.

I see you want to do Econ at Manc next year, surely you'd do far better taking Maths instead of another humanity???? and have a far more competitive application.

I'm going to study AS Maths at college, and Im going to ask to see if they will let me study A-level RE (AQA) in a year.

I would do the full Alevel maths but I dont want to risk not getting an A overall. I really need the A to meet the uni entry requirement (AAB)
Reply 10
littletinysmall
I did bugger all work this year - the content seems quite difficult at the time, because it's hard to teach and come to grasps with.

Ultimately though the exam was really pretty easy - I got 99.5 % and only crammed the day before. You can't just learn the answers by rote but if you have some pre-planned ideal answers memorised,and most importantly ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND the concepts than they are very easy to apply.

Almost everyone in my year got an A, including my friend who was by no means particularly good at it, and got an A in it with two Cs and a D in her other subjects

Hmmmm, well I am alright at understanding concepts but it does seem a little confusing (had a glance at some preview pages of the textbook i mentioned in my post)
I just really need this A :o:
I did Geography alevel before and got a B in it and that was mostly due to learning a textbook so really Im looking for a subject which is similar to that sort of learning.
Depends what spec you're on. For example, on mine was the Ontological argument (one of the most confusing philosophical arguments you'll ever learn [or try to!]). I had no Testament section, which was good, but I had an ethics section which was fun.

On the whole, I found it more interesting than difficult.
What spec will you be on then I'll be able to tell you?
Reply 13
35mm_
What spec will you be on then I'll be able to tell you?

Well i think its the AQA. I dont know which topics I would be doing because I havent spoke to the RE department yet, let alone found out if I will be able to do the subject in one year.
jabed786
Well i think its the AQA. I dont know which topics I would be doing because I havent spoke to the RE department yet, let alone found out if I will be able to do the subject in one year.

AQA is fine, that's what I'm on. As long as you're midly intelligent you'll be perfectly okay in getting an A without too much work. Basically (if they don't change the spec from the one I did) you'll do 4 topics in both Philosophy and Ethics (which you'll treat as two different subjects/exams) so 8 topics in total. For the exam, you'll choose to do 2 topics from a total of 4, so you could just revise 2 topics for each exam and do fine.

Oh, for Philosophy you'll do:
- Miracles.
- Design.
- Quantum Mechanics.
- And I've completely forgotten the fourth, poor memory!

For Ethics:
- Utilitarianism.
- Situation Ethics.
- Abortion & Euthanasia.
- The Value of Human Life, or something like that.
Not massively hard but dont try learning it in a few days (its one of the subjects that it wont work in). Sociology would be much easier.
Reply 16
I actually found it quite challenging at times. I found there was quite a vast amount to remember in comparison to my other subjects and the way the essays were structured was also a large part, so those people with poorer essay skills did struggle even if they knew the course.
Overall though, it is really enjoyable and interesting to learn.
Reply 17
jabed786
I see you do Biology as well :smile:
is it AQA by any chance, if so, do you find Biology more easier to study for than RE?

Nah sorry I do CCEA biology. Biology is harder but I find it much more interesting. I worked really hard for it and managed a good mark for it (290/300). It just depends on how dedicated you are:smile:
Its aright not too bad.

Remember that the specifications have changed so the advice on this might not be necessary true.
Reply 19
littletinysmall
Haha! Me too! So pleased I did, and so relieved they didn't sneakily combine any...or I would have been screwed

haha I did it because everyone said I could get away with it, and then everyone who did do it got good results lol! I don't think I'm going to do it this year though 'cause I probs wouldn't get away with it!

Latest

Trending

Trending