The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would love to meet someone called Nathaniel that is the cutest english name i have ever heard :biggrin: LMAO my cousins name is Mimi.
David
Tom

:ninja:
Reply 22
I seem to recall that at some point we had four Lauras and three Andrews in my primary school class...plus someone who shared my name (pretty unusual as it's Italian and neither of us are!).

Lalala_Amelle
I would love to meet someone called Nathaniel that is the cutest english name i have ever heard :biggrin:

I taught a Nathaniel last year...except that everyone calls him Nathan...and he's American, not English.

But yeah, maybe Dave is the most overused? As mentioned above, everyone knows a Dave.
Reply 23
OptomBee
mine names pretty obscure too, and i like it, but its gonna be tiresome to repeat myself when introducing myself to new people at uni next week.

EVERY single convo always goes like this:

"Hi, my name's XXXXXX, pleased to meet you!:smile: "

"Oh, Zibby-Zobby-Zob?:o: "

"No, my name's XXXXXX:smile: "

"Sorry?"

"XXXXXX"

NO-ONE.EVER.ASKS.A.THIRD.TIME.

the reason they never ask is because they're being very polite and British, but I always see a blank, uncomprehending look on their faces, so I take pity on them and ACTUALLY.SPELL.OUT.MY.NAME on the third instance.

I'm actually thinking of wearing a big sign around my neck at Fresher's Week to save the trouble. "HI, MY NAME'S XXXXXX :biggrin: "

I get this toooooo! :woo: My name's not even that difficult to say! I starting to think it's me! I remember for the whole of year 9 my netball team's coach called me "Tunisia" needless to say I gave up hope correcting her pretty quickly :sigh:
I'm Dimitri Johann Joachim - thankfully NOT overdone :h:
Reply 25
Me and two of my best friends are called Emily. There were 7 Emilys in my year (out 125 girls). I'm pretty sure it was number one in 1992, when I was born. And James was the number one boy's name, which is the name of my twin brother! There was even an Emily and James twin set in the year below.

My parents are so original.
I've never met another Catrin, although I know we exist. It's annoying that it sounds like so many other names though. Christmas cards always come addressed to my mum and Catrina/Catherine/Caitilin/Katie... It's annoying ¬_¬ Oh, and a lot of people can't pronounce it properly when they see it written down. They put the emphasis on the wrong vowel.

When I was in reception, there were three Sophies, and three Toms, iirc.
Bong-Bong
I'd be pretty annoyed if my parents gave me one of those common names like Jack or James or summin like that.

Thankfully they saw the light and gave me a one-of-a-kind name.

High 5 to them.

They called you bong-bong? :eek:
Ugh Rebecca.
I'm called Rebecca, my best friend is called Rebecca there were another 2 Rebecca's in my year at school, my friends sister is called Rebecca and her friend too, have another friend called Rebecca as well..
Reply 29
there are also names that will (UNFORTUNATELY) conjure up certain negative images and assumptions, based on past experiences.

I have generally found the most unpleasant teenage girls in the south manchester area where i grew up to be called names ending in "eisha"

Out of all the people i have known (this is based on my own experiences only), the "-eisha" type names belonged to:
the teen mum
the girl suspended for drug use on school premises
the girls who started fights if you glanced at them (for "disrespect")
the girl who threw a chair at the teacher when she asked her to stop talking in class

sophies and katie and all the derivative names were always really nice girls.

found a funny vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCdmiZyyGjQ

made me think of the Maury show (yes I am a secret Maury viewer)
Reply 30
psychocustard
I've never met another Catrin, although I know we exist. It's annoying that it sounds like so many other names though. Christmas cards always come addressed to my mum and Catrina/Catherine/Caitilin/Katie... It's annoying ¬_¬

When I was in reception, there were three Sophies, and three Toms, iirc.

I love your name!

Also, when I was in reception, there were 3 Michaels, so one changed his name. :| ?!! He never answered to his new name, though. So it was pointless, really.

I think Katie, Emma, Jessica, Chelsie are all overdone. I don't know many people with my name, although there must be a lot.
DAVE! I have 3 Uncle Daves :rofl:

The most annoying thing about having a common name, like I do, is that there is always someone else with the same name as you and you can't always tell who they want to talk to if they just call out your first name :frown:
I knew a lot of Louise, Jamie and Callum/Calum's at school. Loads. Now it seems I know more Laura's than is healthy.

My given name is fairly uncommon, but I hate it.
Lalala_Amelle
I would love to meet someone called Nathaniel that is the cutest english name i have ever heard :biggrin: LMAO my cousins name is Mimi.

I have a friend called Nathaniel - although I'm not sure he'd live up to your expectation :p:

I had 5 Toms in my year when I was at school - and there were only about 50 people in the whole year anyway.
I know a fair few Gemmas as well...including myself, obviously. There were 4 of us in my one neighbourhood at one time, so it does seem a bit overdone...:rolleyes:
oh_adele
I love your name!

Also, when I was in reception, there were 3 Michaels, so one changed his name. :| ?!! He never answered to his new name, though. So it was pointless, really.

I think Katie, Emma, Jessica, Chelsie are all overdone. I don't know many people with my name, although there must be a lot.

Thank you ^_^

If Adele is actually your name, I really quite like yours, too :smile:
Reply 35
In my primary school, there were more Laura's per square metre than there were pencil cases.

I know a hecka lotta Daniels and Emmas too. This is why I dish out nicknames to all of my friends.

I'd say my name is quite popular these days too. This is why I'm always confused that 99% of my Christmas cards given to me are addressed to "Roise" instead of Rosie. Roise?
Reply 36
i can't believe it's not been mentioned...
Amy + Luke
there are a million Amy's round here.
seriously like 10 in my year at school if not more.
Aimee, Amie, Ayme, Ami, Amee...it's all the same damn name! lol!

and there were 4 luke's alone in my form.

i agree with the david's and katie's too...plenty of them in my year.

chloe was pretty popular too...as was daniel, hell of a lot of them in our school

i get that thing with the 'what the hell is your name'

lol they always think i'm lieing, don't know why, it's pretty simple =SS
Reply 37
psychocustard
I've never met another Catrin, although I know we exist. It's annoying that it sounds like so many other names though. Christmas cards always come addressed to my mum and Catrina/Catherine/Caitilin/Katie... It's annoying ¬_¬ Oh, and a lot of people can't pronounce it properly when they see it written down. They put the emphasis on the wrong vowel.

So is it CATrin or CatRIN?

Someone mentioned the name Jessica...not sure I've ever met one!
Antonia87
I should add, my name isnt popular and my sister's certainly isnt popular (Mimi).

You have a nice name , very uncommon , but it's nice :smile:

My name's Anthony , I only know of a few people that have this , but some girls like my name for some reason :lolwut:
Angelil
So is it CATrin or CatRIN?

Someone mentioned the name Jessica...not sure I've ever met one!

CATrin. Like Catherine, just without the H, really.

Latest