Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Calculating a value for g by a free fall method.

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me a method, I'm very confused as I still have chemistry whirling around in my head :mad: thanx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Objective

To measure the acceleration due to gravity by a free fall method.

Theory

An object falling freely under gravity, assuming that air resistance effects can be neglected, obeys the following equation:

s = ut + ½at²(1)

Apparatus

A ball bearing is held vertically above a mechanical plate by means of a small electromagnet. When the current through the magnet is switched off, the ball bearing falls from rest until it hits the plate. An electric stop-clock records the time of fall, since the start signal to the clock is synchronised with the release of the ball-bearing and the stop signal with the closing of a switch actuated by the plate.

Experimental Procedure

1. For a particular value of s, record the fall time t. Take several readings of t for each value of s in order to estimate the error in measuring t.
    2. Measure the fall times for 8 values of s. Try to cover as large a range of distances as possible. Consider carefully the value of s (Is there a systematic error possible here?)

Method of Analysis

1. Present your results graphically by plotting against s. From the error D[delta]t on t, evaluate the error 2t[delta]t on and draw this on each plotted point.
    2. Since the ball bearing falls from rest, u = 0. Hence s=½at² or t²=(2/a)s. The gradient of the graph (with s being plotted along the horizontal axis) is therefore 2/a.
    3. Find the gradient and the error in the gradient from your graph.
    4. Calculate g and the error in g.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OldakQuill)
    Objective

To measure the acceleration due to gravity by a free fall method.

Theory

An object falling freely under gravity, assuming that air resistance effects can be neglected, obeys the following equation:

s = ut + ½at²(1)

Apparatus

A ball bearing is held vertically above a mechanical plate by means of a small electromagnet. When the current through the magnet is switched off, the ball bearing falls from rest until it hits the plate. An electric stop-clock records the time of fall, since the start signal to the clock is synchronised with the release of the ball-bearing and the stop signal with the closing of a switch actuated by the plate.

Experimental Procedure

1. For a particular value of s, record the fall time t. Take several readings of t for each value of s in order to estimate the error in measuring t.
    2. Measure the fall times for 8 values of s. Try to cover as large a range of distances as possible. Consider carefully the value of s (Is there a systematic error possible here?)

Method of Analysis

1. Present your results graphically by plotting against s. From the error D[delta]t on t, evaluate the error 2t[delta]t on and draw this on each plotted point.
    2. Since the ball bearing falls from rest, u = 0. Hence s=½at² or t²=(2/a)s. The gradient of the graph (with s being plotted along the horizontal axis) is therefore 2/a.
    3. Find the gradient and the error in the gradient from your graph.
    4. Calculate g and the error in g.
    Thanx very much! Appreciated I've just had a thought can I also use the pendulum method? I.e using T= 2pi root l/g ? and do it that way
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    well u can use that, or : that's the method used.
    but ur question is : how to find g using FREE FALL
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that was really useful , one small question though, how do you calculate g at the end?
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emfish)
    Thanks, that was really useful , one small question though, how do you calculate g at the end?
    gradient is 2/a where a is the accelration due to gravity ie g. hence g= 2/ gradient
Updated: June 11, 2005
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.