The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

I'm nervous, and I have done this before! ( postgrad student.. )
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm a little bit nervous, but still really looking forward to it. It's crazy to think that I'm moving away from home though:eek:
Reply 3
Yep, really nervous but excited at the same time, can't wait!!
Swinging between neeves and excitement, going to miss people from home so much - hopeing everybodies friendly!!
Yeah, sort of.
I'm going into my final year...

but just want to say it's completely normal to be a big bundle of nerves and excitement!

But remember everyone's in the same position as you, it's a whole new big point in life for most people...and you're going to settle in, make many friends easily (that's just the way it is lol trust me) and have a GREAT freshers year.
Reply 7
Yeah, I'm nervous. Excited too though. Glad we're going a week later than most other people I know - an extra week at home..to eat well and not have to iron etc. :tongue:
Reply 8
You don't HAVE to iron when you get to up there anyway. Only if you want to
Reply 9
and you don't HAVE to go to lectures (well you do but you can also not go...) and you can go and come in whereever whenever however....
Reply 10
vergerefosh
You don't HAVE to iron when you get to up there anyway. Only if you want to

if you do your washing right you get it home still warm and it flattens its self on a hanger...

Jack Evans
and you don't HAVE to go to lectures (well you do but you can also not go...) and you can go and come in whereever whenever however....

its generally advisable to turn up to lectures... even if you take a nap in the middle of them....
You'll love it! Within a few weeks, you won't remember why you were so anxious!

And just like Anna_Norwegian, I've done it before and I'm still anxious about starting my postgrad studies... anxious and excited! :smile:
Reply 12
Sunshine and doodles
You'll love it! Within a few weeks, you won't remember why you were so anxious!

tbh its freshers so you are not going to remember much at all haha
Reply 13
I'm not as nervous as I thought I was going to be actually - more excited!! I think the nerves will kick in more as the time nears...it's just over 2 weeks now, so it doesn't seem as close as it could do!
Reply 14
Im not nervous now, but I no I will be like, the day before. I still need to buy a few things which is keeping me distracted I guess :P
Like all the old timers have said, everyone is in the same boat and after your first few weeks you will wonder what all the fuss was about :biggrin:

Meeting randomners for the first time is always the same, I feel old :frown:
Reply 16
:smile:

I'm a tiny bit jealous of all the excited/nervous people moving onto the campus. I wish I'd gone to uni when I was 18 now. A decade on, I don't get to move away from home as I live 20 mins away, just get up and get the kids breakfasts and then to school/preschool as normal and *then* become a proper student like all the rest of you, then get in the car and go back into normal/mummy mode :biggrin:
So it's going to be like my life now, but with LOADS of work and a little bit extra stress/rushing around. And I do have to iron :smile: And I do have to go to all my lectures as was very lax at college the first time and there is no way I'm stuffing it up this time as I'm now too old and sensible for all that :smile:
I am a bit nervous about my little suitcase trolley thing to put all my stuff in as I'll have to park AGES away and I hate carrying lots of things. I was fine, thinking it was a good practical idea till my brother-in-law laughed and said that all you lot will throw food at me as I pass :biggrin:
Reply 17
Kat H

I am a bit nervous about my little suitcase trolley thing to put all my stuff in as I'll have to park AGES away and I hate carrying lots of things. I was fine, thinking it was a good practical idea till my brother-in-law laughed and said that all you lot will throw food at me as I pass :biggrin:

parking on campus is a pain, but there are some places that are better to park,depending on your subject, but you will soon find where they are once you arrive..

some of the most dedicated people i have met have been mature students, yes you will have kids to deal with and more famiily orientated stress.. however you will not be turning up drunk to lectures [i hope!], you can already cook for yourself and you are probably already more organised than most second years..

so you are at andvantage there...

and dont worry about the food throwing.. i think this sums it up fairly well... http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1223
Reply 18
Unlike some other unis Lancaster you only find out who you're living with for a whole year until the day you arrive and meet them
Friends going to other unis had the chance to chat with them on facebook or whatever
and if you don't like them, tough. haha
Reply 19
athamas
its generally advisable to turn up to lectures... even if you take a nap in the middle of them....

I dunno, there's not really much point going if you're going to be mega hungover or just not paying attention. I know people say "Oh, you can go and you might learn one thing or something", better off just not going if you're going to be like that and just download the lecture off LUVLE and have a read later on.

It got me by easily enough in the first year. I pretty much stopped going to lectures and most seminars in Novemberish and passed the first year. Unless it's something like medicine, you'll be alright so long as you just do alright with the coursework and have a revision blast before exams. Probs not the thing to do for 2nd and 3rd year, but for the 1st year it's pretty easy to not have to do anything and get by.

Latest

Trending

Trending