The Student Room Group
Alean
i've been looking at the university of york and they do a written exercise at interview - do most universities do this and what is it exactly - what do they have you do etc?

Some Universities u have to do a written test as well as maths test Alean.The universities who do these test are Cardiff,SouthBank,Middlesex,Kingscollege London,Essex,and a few others.
The written bit is to test your comprehension skills,how you structure stuff,how you spell and so forth.
Reply 2
do nottingham do it?

can you give me an example of a written test?
Alean
do nottingham do it?

can you give me an example of a written test?

Hi Alean
mmm a example of a written test might be they would give u some kind of nursing article to read and you would need to pick out certain points.They would give you guidelines what you need to include but i am afraid its up to the indiviual university what type of written test they gave you.I think the idea is they want applicants who can read,understand and write in academic way depending upon the type of diploma or degree u applied for.I wouldnt know about nottingham whether they do these kinds of test.You would need to ask them or see if you can find out on their website.Hope this helps you somewhat
Reply 4
ZakBrannigan
Hi Alean
mmm a example of a written test might be they would give u some kind of nursing article to read and you would need to pick out certain points.They would give you guidelines what you need to include but i am afraid its up to the indiviual university what type of written test they gave you.I think the idea is they want applicants who can read,understand and write in academic way depending upon the type of diploma or degree u applied for.I wouldnt know about nottingham whether they do these kinds of test.You would need to ask them or see if you can find out on their website.Hope this helps you somewhat

Can you, or anyone else please give me further example(s)?
I'm not good at this and if I don't think I can do it then I don't want to be wasting uni choices on ones that do this
Alean
Can you, or anyone else please give me further example(s)?
I'm not good at this and if I don't think I can do it then I don't want to be wasting uni choices on ones that do this

I am sure u will be fine Alean.Usually there only give u a certain time limit to do it in.If its nursing it would have to be a article on something health related.They would give u some guidelines to follow.It would be unfair for a university not to tell a candiate what they were looking for ie like i said they would be mainly looking for pointers
for example
If the nursing article was on smoking.You would need to find say 3 areas which best described the main points.You would be marked on punction,spelling etc.
:yep:
Reply 6
ZakBrannigan
I am sure u will be fine Alean.Usually there only give u a certain time limit to do it in.If its nursing it would have to be a article on something health related.They would give u some guidelines to follow.It would be unfair for a university not to tell a candiate what they were looking for ie like i said they would be mainly looking for pointers
for example
If the nursing article was on smoking.You would need to find say 3 areas which best described the main points.You would be marked on punction,spelling etc.
:yep:

but if you just have to pick out point wouldn't you just bullet point a couple of words?

I'm really not good at this sort of thing
Do you know if nottingham uni does this test?
do you know what the time limit would be?
Nottingham does not do the test

Latest