The Student Room Group

driving test - eyesight requirements

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Also, if you get them wear them all the time to get used to them for the test - wear them during the lesson before to get used to them
Reply 21
Reply 22
Good luck!
Reply 23
The following post is from personal, painful experience...

On my first test, the examiner stood me a fair distance (probably around 30m) away from a car, asked me to read the number plate. I got all bar one letter right. He then moved me slightly closer and tried a different car - two letters wrong this time. Then, he went inside and got the Official Tape Measure, found a car round the back and measured out the 20.5m. I read it and confused an X with a K (my excuse: an awkward black bolt!).

The consequence of that: test terminated, failed the test, threw £48 down the pan for the test fee plus whatever the instructor's hire fee was, and then had to rebook a test after going to the opticians.

And to make matters worse, shortly afterwards I got a lovely letter through from the DVLA demanding proof from an optician that my eyes were now up to the required standard, otherwise I'd have to hand back my provisional license and would be banned from driving, even on L-plates with an instructor, until my eyes were up to scratch.

Passed the second test, with glasses :p:

My advice: if you have any doubt about your eyesight, find your nearest optician, go there at 9am and get your eyes tested!!

Good luck with the eyes and the driving test! :smile:
Reply 24
On the eye chart, the middle of the 6th line is the same as 20 meters. I was very gutted to find out that I could read up to the 6th line and no more. :frown: That's with glasses, btw.
I've been told I'll need glasses for driving already and I haven't started! I can read a numberplate from 20 metres with both eyes, and with just my left eye open, but I'm a bit short sighted in my right eye and so need glasses for that. Damn it.

Better to have them and be safe :smile:
ufo_01
well i have my driving test tomorrow and iam a bit worried about the eyesight check at the start

on the driving website and in my highway code book they both say you have to read a numberplate at 20 metres away which i can't do :frown:

anyway i asked 2 of my friends who have both recently passed their tests and they both said its no way near that far and that its really close

just wondered how far away it was when others took their test? thanks :smile:

If you're desperate tomorrow then stand at the doorway of the driving test centre and look at cars 20m away. If there are quite a few then memorise their number plates. I got lucky for mine as there was only one other car :biggrin: I didn't need to though but it gives you the sense of security which is a good start.
Reply 27
I'm really surprised your instructor hasn't already tested you before giving you lessons. He is responsible for your compliance with the law after all.

As thomasp already posted, you always start further away than required and get a couple of attempts until they have to get the tape out for your final go at the exact legal distance.
Reply 28
coldfusion
If you're desperate tomorrow then stand at the doorway of the driving test centre and look at cars 20m away. If there are quite a few then memorise their number plates. I got lucky for mine as there was only one other car :biggrin: I didn't need to though but it gives you the sense of security which is a good start.

Don't do this. If you can't see that far you probably shouldn't be on the road anyway. Plus, as I said earlier, if the examiner suspects you might have memorised them, which is a possibility, then you'll be taken elsewhere to read the number plate. In fact, some test centres will have a board with number plates on it, so they might get you to read from that.
Spleeny
I was totally worried about that too but it was fine. Not much you can do apart from wait till your test to find out. It should have been one of the first things your instructor did with you though.

omg this is totally disturbing and weird and makes me sound like a right sicko... but your kitten picture on your siggy gave me a right fright at a quick glance, cos I thought it was coming out of a woman's lower regions....

I mean, now I look at it, I can see it's a kitten and a cushion or something, but WOW got a bit freaked out there.
Maybe I need glasses xD
Think it is about 20 metres
Reply 31
Hi is ur test in wanstead by any chance. Im getting scared aswell about my eye test coming up.is20 metres really far.i wear glasses and im short sighted. I have worn my new perception glasses but im still so worried. Can any please help.?????
Original post by AMaz78
Hi is ur test in wanstead by any chance. Im getting scared aswell about my eye test coming up.is20 metres really far.i wear glasses and im short sighted. I have worn my new perception glasses but im still so worried. Can any please help.?????

I doubt hes' gonna respond, this thread is over a couple of years old you know! If you have glasses then you shouldn't have a problem reading from 20m (I'm a 4 eyes too) Why don't you ask your instructor to do a mock check if you're worried, he will know his distances.

Also please start a new thread next time :smile: I had a nice reply written out only to see that this thread is eons old! Plus starting a thread will usually get you more responses.
simple solution

Get contacts and dont tell your instructor if your wearing them/ or tell them if its required by law.
I struggled with mine as my contact lenses would cause slight distortions with text.
The examiner found it odd I found it easier to read the car that was slightly further away which had its rear plate showing (found the black on yellow easier to read).
If you're slightly short sighted, squinting your eyes will help a bit.
Original post by AMaz78

A tennis court is over 20 metres long, so if you were to stand at one end of a tennis court and someone held a sign up at the other, could you read it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending