The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Have a look at the official marking instructions for the essay questions. You'll notice that eloquence is not a criterion of assessment, which can only be good.
Have a look at some of the marking instructions online, basically one fairly simple point = 1 mark.

e.g. Each DNA nucleotide contains one of four bases; guanine, adenine, gytosine and thymine
Complementary base pairs are attracted by weak hydrogen bonds (C to G, A to T)

Basically write a new paragraph for each individual part of the question, put in a title if you want.
Reply 3
basically just write everything that comes to mind. You don't get marked down for random points all over the place most of the time. The only time you would is if the question has parts to it, like - "give an account of energy production in the following i. glycolysis ii. cytochrome system" OR describe the role of the plasma membrane in *something* and *something*. Then you get marks for putting each part under headings; marks for coherence and you also get marks for relevance (which I always found weird :p: )
Reply 4
Kirsteneg
basically just write everything that comes to mind. You don't get marked down for random points all over the place most of the time. The only time you would is if the question has parts to it, like - "give an account of energy production in the following i. glycolysis ii. cytochrome system" OR describe the role of the plasma membrane in *something* and *something*. Then you get marks for putting each part under headings; marks for coherence and you also get marks for relevance (which I always found weird :p: )

Do you not get marks for putting things in the right order though?
Reply 5
Enzo-259
Do you not get marks for putting things in the right order though?

no :p:
Reply 6
Kirsteneg
no :p:

Our last Bio teacher lied to us!:mad:

I guess he just wanted us to tidy things up and make it easier for the examiner(this was Int 2 mind you, so maybe they did give marks for being in the right order?)
Reply 7
Enzo-259
Our last Bio teacher lied to us!:mad:

I guess he just wanted us to tidy things up and make it easier for the examiner(this was Int 2 mind you, so maybe they did give marks for being in the right order?)

Don't take my word for it but I'm sure that they don't mark you down if the points are jumbled, considering it would be under pressure in the exam and all. Obviously, if you were talking about mitosis or something with a sequence of events, then you would have to put it in order, or say something like "...but before the cytoplasm divides, the DNA is replicated and the chromosomes are pulled to opposite poles by spindle fibres". :p: even though that seems clunky (forgetting a point but shoving it in), you stiill get the mark for it as long as you say when that point occurs (i.e. "before the cytoplasm divides")

Latest

Trending

Trending