The Student Room Group

A few questions as I wish to study Pharmacy...

Hi TSR,

I am new here and I just want some advice. :smile:

I have just completed my GCSE's and these are the grades that I have acheived:

Science - A
Additional Science - B
R.E - B
English Lang/Lit - CC
Maths - C
Hospitality (Btec) - 4 x C (pass)

Not the strongest of grades but I am very determined. I am studying Biology, Chemistry and Business Studies for AS along side the Welsh Baccalaureate.

The places I have looked at so far are:

Cardiff
Aston
Bath
Brighton

These are just a few, ofcourse, I have done other research on:

http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/DvxZ3w6hV__I-hK9bPNuAvIQV5GH_-3zJN/HAHTpage/search.HsKeywordSearch.whereNext?query=528&word=PHARMACY

So here are a few questions:

* Are my grades good enough?

* How much work experience is expected of me?

* What is the starting, training, etc pay?

* Is there anything else I can do to stand out?

* Can I get into the above universities, if not, which ones would you suggest?

* And just any other useful information and tips.

Thank you all for your time and good luck in your applications, university courses, future. :smile:
Reply 1
* GCSE Grades should be fine but you will also need to get decent, if not better, grades for your A-levels. I would look at the individual entry requirements for each uni to see if they want certain GCSE grades.

* None... in short. However, getting just one or two days shadowing a pharmacist will help strengthen an application.

* You need to look at each community pharmacy separately. If you haven't even started your A-levels yet then the pay scale will be a lot different when you're doing your training year. This year NHS Band 5 is looking at around £20,500 (not exact) while some community pharmacies pay £18,000.

* Charity work, Volunteer, Work Exp, Sports Teams, Music... or anything non pharmacy related.

* You need to look at each of the uni's entry requirements. You're more likely to know if you're going to get in once you have AS results.

* Focus on your college work and try and do something outside of college.
Reply 2
TigerSwift
* GCSE Grades should be fine but you will also need to get decent, if not better, grades for your A-levels. I would look at the individual entry requirements for each uni to see if they want certain GCSE grades.

* None... in short. However, getting just one or two days shadowing a pharmacist will help strengthen an application.

* You need to look at each community pharmacy separately. If you haven't even started your A-levels yet then the pay scale will be a lot different when you're doing your training year. This year NHS Band 5 is looking at around £20,500 (not exact) while some community pharmacies pay £18,000.

* Charity work, Volunteer, Work Exp, Sports Teams, Music... or anything non pharmacy related.

* You need to look at each of the uni's entry requirements. You're more likely to know if you're going to get in once you have AS results.

* Focus on your college work and try and do something outside of college.

Thanks for the answer, I really appreciate the help. I will work hard for my A-levels and I realise I will have to do well as my GCSE's were not so strong. I also realise that I have to become an all-rounded character so I shall look at other activities and interests and also get some decent work experience, in a few different places to strengthen my application. Thanks for the answer and the
figures. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending