The Student Room Group

AS ICT AQA - How was it?

I thought it was fairly easy, but they have a way of asking questions which scared me, lol. Basically, lets use this thread to see what people answered and to reassure yourself you done well. :biggrin:

1. First off, what the hell is a 'software item' .. Am talking here of question 9 I think it was which asked what 3 software items could the company buy and why is it required?

1I was unsure if this meant software feature ( as in 'links to other software' ) or software applications themselves. I ended up going for the latter and picked 'word processing', 'presentation' and 'spreadsheet' while explaining each.

The only other question that had me stumped was the question asking for three functions of the pretty driver .. really couldn't remember a third, so had as my answer 'set up communication' and 'set default configuration' explaining both with a third 'installs software for maintenance' which was a rather confident guess.

So what did you find hard / easy and how did you reply?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey guys

Well I just did ICT 1 and well what can I say. It was just know nice I actually enjoyed sitting there for 90 minutes lol :smile: It went so well for me. I knew how to answer every question and answered them all really well. I hope you guys have all done well too! Sorry but I only did ICT 1 not 2

Ciao for now

Matt :smile:
Reply 2
Glad to hear mate! :biggrin:

I felt pretty much the same way, and there's a satifaction about knowing the last few days of painfull revision paid off, especially when you get a question which you had made sure of covering. =D
Reply 3
wow dat went surprisingly very well. my teacher has to b the *&$&%*£(£($*&$ teacher in the world but i got past papers, read hte heathcote book and taught myself the subject. thought IT1 was VERY straighforward (saying that i will probably still fail :frown: ) IT2 was bit harder but not as hard as i anticipated!!!! wow there is hope for me yet in the ICT world!!! jus got the long wait of exam results day :eek:

well, revision pays off!!!!!!!!!

phew...so pleased its over!

lets hope the examiner can read my very bad handwriting!
Reply 4
the eam was quite easy, but i ddi struggle on paper 2 on questions 3 and 5, but apart from that, a walk in the park :biggrin:
Reply 5
I only sat ICT01 and found is very easy. I finished it in 30 minutes! I must have done something wrong!!
Reply 6
Good to hear most are finding it easy, or perhaps that'll mean future exams are made harder? :redface:

People who did do ICT AQA unit 2, please read and respond to my original post!
Reply 7
software items... if you mean for the health and safety one one would be pop-up errors must not be confusing or it causes stress. Another could be that insufficient help files cause frustration when looking for a task.

I wrote a note at the end saying:
"Sorry for my handwriting it totally sucks... admitedly. Also any long answers I tried to underline important stuff because I am sure you have better things to do then re-read stuff, thanks! :biggrin:"

haha... Wonder if its against the rules to do that...

Also as an example I wrote:
"The student may use a search engine if trying to look information about a cat... but be very careful CAT is the word she types and not a pet name for cats in general... otherwise she may get very different answers" haha.

Cheap joke, but oh well... when you are that bored it seems entertaining to do stupid things!
Reply 8
It was alright, but is an ATM machine an example of transaction processing?
ICT1 was pis* easy...but some of the questions in ICT2 were so stupidly worded! I've gotta say that this years ICT2 paper was the worst paper in the history of this AS ICT specification.
Reply 10
THat was sooo easy ppls

just the ICT2

What the hell is up with the natural language interface, we never studied that.

U guys think nou that evryone is doin well theyll push up the grade boundaries, hopefully not.

Anywayz some physics tommorow

Cheers
Reply 11
I found it rather annoying, in the e-mail question on ICT1 that they stated a obvious explanation in the question (Viruses) and then said 'apart from the example above!'
Johnt
I found it rather annoying, in the e-mail question on ICT1 that they stated a obvious explanation in the question (Viruses) and then said 'apart from the example above!'

Well, they're hardly going to GIVE you the answer!
Reply 13
What the hell is up with the natural language interface, we never studied that.

me neither...
Reply 14
So if there is a person in here who actuallly feel confident about the interface question, feel free to pop in and tell us what u did
Stefill
So if there is a person in here who actuallly feel confident about the interface question, feel free to pop in and tell us what u did

Well, the question was ridiculously worded, but heres what I wrote in summary:

Natural language interface is where the user uses grammatical English rather than commands to operate the computer. E.g. "Oh dearest computer sir, please can you format this lovely hard disk for me? Love Bob" (hehe, not really, but something like that) instead of "format C: /2500". And then I did another example. And then I just put some disadvantages hoping it gets me marks.
Reply 16
HAHA, they said illustrate so i drew a message box

Now thats funny
I have to say, ICT 2 was written very very poorly. :wtf?:
Reply 18
Ye hopefully they give us some credit for stupid wording on their part
Reply 19
That question on URLs on paper 1 was EXACTLY the same question as on 1 of the past papers! They hadn't even bothered changing the wording!

We hadn't been taught natural language interfaces either but luckily I'd looked at it during my very last minute revision last night! It's when the computer responds to 'english' commands rather than computer language. For an example I put software recognition software opening programs when the user just says the name. Not sure if that's a good example though!

Latest

Trending

Trending