The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Been Put In Penny C Block A - Smoking Rooms :s

As the title suggests, I've been put in a room in block A of Pennsylvania Court. I did put on my application that I didn't mind whether I had a smoking or non smoking room and so I can't really complain.

However, I just wanted to know, am I going to be spending the next year surrounded by smokers? I don't have a problem with people who smoke,, just don't particularly want to be stinking of fags for a year, and I had no idea there were such a limited number of smoking rooms that are all clumped together.
Time to start then.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
olly_springs
As the title suggests, I've been put in a room in block A of Pennsylvania Court. I did put on my application that I didn't mind whether I had a smoking or non smoking room and so I can't really complain.

However, I just wanted to know, am I going to be spending the next year surrounded by smokers? I don't have a problem with people who smoke,, just don't particularly want to be stinking of fags for a year, and I had no idea there were such a limited number of smoking rooms that are all clumped together.

You're not going to be "stinking of fags". If people smoke, it'll be in their own rooms. Besides, you don't have anything personal against smokers do you? I expect there will be other non-smokers like yourself in the same block too! So don't worry about it.
Reply 3
sophisticated
You're not going to be "stinking of fags". If people smoke, it'll be in their own rooms. Besides, you don't have anything personal against smokers do you? I expect there will be other non-smokers like yourself in the same block too! So don't worry about it.

Oh, so they won't be smoking in the corridors and communal areas then??
olly_springs
Oh, so they won't be smoking in the corridors and communal areas then??

No. You can find this kind of info out on the accommodation website. Smoking is permitted in the bedrooms. Not the communal areas.
Reply 5
sophisticated

I don't want to cause worry to the OP, but he shouldn't be surprised if he can smell it fairly frequently, even if it doesn't make him/his stuff smell of it: we live in an apartment block where fairly large numbers of people smoke and the smell really is extremely pervasive. We can often smell it in our front hallway because the insulation of the front doors is not great, and thanks to people smoking out of their windows and into the courtyard, we can sometimes smell it in our computer room as well (which has a window onto the courtyard). OP, you may wish to take soom room spray with you just in case.
Reply 6
as far as i can recall, just because A block was the smoking block didn't mean people didn't do it elsewhere in Penny C - i know two people on my corridor used to put condoms over their smoke alarms (against the rules but again no one seemed to notice) to smoke and you could never smell it else where, if you could, i would have complained as i have a huge issue with stuff smelling of smoke. As for A block, i don't remember it smelling at all, and im sure if you've been put in there as a non smoker, others will have been too. I really wouldn't worry about it. Just do as Angelil said and take some room spray with you just in case.
Reply 8
olly_springs
I don't have a problem with people who smoke,, just don't particularly want to be stinking of fags for a year

Don't like the smell of fags?

Smoke something different then :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending