The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Is it very Northern?

I live in London and am considering going to Lancaster for Uni next year, but I've heard from loads of people that it has a lot of Northern people there.
I have nothing against Northerners at all - in fact I sometimes prefer them to southerners (!), but I'm worried that I wont be able to fit in - would this be a problem?

I know it sounds childish, but Lancaster seems like an amazing place to go, and I was fine until people said that I wouldn’t be able to fit in because of where I come from!

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
People are people, northeners have more things to do than just walk the whippets and drop their t's. Im sure you'll fit in just fine.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
There is a real mixture of people at Lancaster. Yes a lot of "local" people go [who live say within an hour/two hours from the university] but a lot of people go from further afield - I was actually surprised by the vast number of people from the south there.

Plus, as with most universities, there are lots of international students so campus is full of people with different backgrounds and interests which should ensure everyone meets people they get along with. :smile:
Reply 3
That's a stupid reason for why you wouldn't fit in.
I'm from London and I lived up North for a year and ''Northerners'' were nothing but nice to me, even people I just happened to be on the same train with.
One of my closest friends is from Cheltenham and thought that 'Northern accents' were all just southerners taking the piss out of northerners until she came here... we're used to it all!
Reply 5
Oh that's good! Made me feel much better, thanks! This proves those people otherwise!
Reply 6
Oh and I've also heard that a lot of people go home at the weekend - is that a big problem for people who don't? I dont like the sound of a dead Uni on Saturdays and Sundays!
mazrhiannon
Oh and I've also heard that a lot of people go home at the weekend - is that a big problem for people who don't? I dont like the sound of a dead Uni on Saturdays and Sundays!

It is quiet on campus at the weekends as people are not around going to lectures and I suspect a lot are sleeping off their nights out. Colleges do have socials though as to many of the societies and of course there is the Sugarhouse and other clubs in town to keep the nights busy. :smile:
I don't see it being a problem
Reply 9
Nahh, I knew a few southerners this past year + they all found it fine :smile:

I think, other than long trips up to uni, your biggest problem would be if you wanted to see friends in the hols. Because there's quite a few "local" people, it wouldn't be too far for them for just a day, but obviously it'd be a tad further for you! Like, my flatmates this next year, we all live around Manchester so it's pretty easy to see one another if we want, but southern/international friends are a bit harder to see!
Reply 10
its less northen that manchester or liverpool... :tongue:

im from kent origionally, and its as quick for me to get to the noth side of london [euston], as it is for me to get the rest of the way home...

if you book early enough you can get singles to london from about £10...
mazrhiannon
I live in London and am considering going to Lancaster for Uni next year, but I've heard from loads of people that it has a lot of Northern people there.
I have nothing against Northerners at all - in fact I sometimes prefer them to southerners (!), but I'm worried that I wont be able to fit in - would this be a problem?

I know it sounds childish, but Lancaster seems like an amazing place to go, and I was fine until people said that I wouldn’t be able to fit in because of where I come from!

Thanks!

My flatmates last year were from Selby, Lichfield, Bury, Halifax, London, America, Somerset and Dorset. So it was definitely a good variety that's for sure. And people are not going to care one bit about where you are from, or decide if they are going to be friends with you or not based on your accent :P Sure they'll find it funny, and they'll be lots of North/South banter, but that's no different from the College banter you'll get during Freshers Week.
The quiet weekends aren't that much of a problem :smile:. I live only an hour away from Lancaster, yet I rarely go home at the weekends. I find it okay, I tend to just amuse myself though if there isn't anyone in! If you make friends with the people in your house though, you'll find that there will be someone in to keep you company if you want! Or see it as a time to catch up on work that you should have done during the week but never got around to doing because there's always something going on! :P
I went on an open day and liked it. I don't think it is a 'northern' uni - there seemed to be a diverse range of accents and quite a few internationals wandering around. If you get a chance to visit then I would go along - the campus location is attractive and there is a strong 'campus' feel to it. It also feels very safe and relaxed compared to many other universities I've visited.
Northerners are very friendly anyway :smile:
Reply 15
emilyjane_09
Northerners are very friendly anyway :smile:

Yes thats what I think too - one of the main reasons why I'm choosing to go up north!

So how much percentage of local people go there do you think? Like, an estimate
mazrhiannon
Yes thats what I think too - one of the main reasons why I'm choosing to go up north!

So how much percentage of local people go there do you think? Like, an estimate

I'm don't go there, so I can't really say. However, my brother's going, and a large group of people he knows are too. I'd say you get a mix, like at any university. Best asking people who go though :smile:
Reply 17
there are a good number of 'locals' but there are not that many people.. lancaster and morcombe are just not that big..

but you wull probably have a small number of people that arefrom the local area...

i would take a rogh guess of ~5-10%
Reply 18
There aren't that many "locals", as in people from Lancaster itself, but I would guess maybe 30-40% are from Lancashire, Cumbria or Yorkshire, and therefore within an hour of home.
But I had friends from London, Devon, Cornwall, and Norfolk. Not many Welsh or Scots about though.
Reply 19
I'm from Surrey and don't know that many Southerners. If, like me, you have the joyful gift of an accent that makes you sound a bit like the Queen then be prepared for a bit of friendly teasing. That being said, the moment you find any Southerners there's always something to talk about - if you're like me then it's getting overly excited by people who know what Waitrose is :P

On the whole, everyone's very friendly and at the end of the day you're coming to a place of education; I've never met anyone stupid enough to take the whole North/South divide insanely seriously.

Latest

Trending

Trending