The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

huuuge reading lists, do we have to read all?!

Hey, I'm a bit worried, trying to work out my history modules but the one I want to do has 22 books and its exam based... not to chicken out or anything but does this mean we have to buy/read and digest all 22 books? Exams are not my strength and I just don't know if I could cope with it. Does a reading list mean you pick out key texts or does it mean you have to read the whole lot? thanks to anyone who replies xx
You pick put key texts and read a lot of academic articles.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
I've been wondering similar things hah, I got a letter from my department (Philosophy) yesterday and it had suggested summer reading, and there are literally 6-8 books for each module. How STUPID is it to give us this 2 weeks before we go?! I'm not sure how seriously they take the summer reading, though I'd guess for exam purposes, it'd be a good idea to at least take some notes from each book?
Reply 3
EmersonDrain
You pick put key texts and read a lot of academic articles.

thanks, so you don't read all of it then? and would I have to buy all these books or will a lot of it be in the library? thanks x
Reply 4
Paved_Paradise
I've been wondering similar things hah, I got a letter from my department (Philosophy) yesterday and it had suggested summer reading, and there are literally 6-8 books for each module. How STUPID is it to give us this 2 weeks before we go?! I'm not sure how seriously they take the summer reading, though I'd guess for exam purposes, it'd be a good idea to at least take some notes from each book?

I guess, it just really freaked me out. I have a bad history with exams, they don't like me! but I really want to do this module... and I have a deadline to choose these modules hence why I'm freaking out :woo:
Kipperoo
thanks, so you don't read all of it then? and would I have to buy all these books or will a lot of it be in the library? thanks x

They should be in the library. You might want to buy one or two that look particularly interesting / useful.
Reply 6
You can search the library catalogue here, if you want to check out whether books are available or not.
Reply 7
I really wouldn't worry about this too much! Most books are available in the library - just make sure if they're necessary for a module you check them out early enough to make sure someone else doesn't get there before you! As for books which aren't there or may have been checked out, there will be a noticeboard in your department of students trying to sell their books - definitely don't buy anything full price, especially from the bookshop on campus which can be VERY pricey...
Reply 8
My reading list for law was confusing because I was going to buy the books there, but it said that I might need different books for the actual course as text books... so I'm a bit reticent about paying over £100 now for books I may not need...

And yeah, giving us a summer reading list 2 weeks before the start is a bit feeble

Latest