The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not a vet student but a hopeful one haha! From looking at entry requirements and talking to my careers adviser/people applying/already studying, realistically you are looking at top grades, as it is very competitive. Perhaps you might not need straight As for all universities, but you will need very good grades, mostly As with maybe a B. Depends what education system you're coming from. A Levels I'm guessing? There's more to it than grades though, think about your work experience as well, very important, and a good PS. Good luck, I'm going to have to work my ass off for the next year or two to hopefully get in so we're probably in the same boat - hard work but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end!
AABb at A-level
Reply 3
I got AAA and am going to Bristol. I was offered AAB, did bio, chem and maths.
Typical offer seems to be AAA/AAB, normally asking for the A's to be in Bio and Chemistry.
hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Dinkyferret
AABb at A-level

What GCSEs/other qualifications did you need for liverpool? or for anywhere else? and how much work experience etc?
:smile:
You need 10 weeks for liverpool. 6 week other, 4 week vet. Vet should be with at least two different practices, try to get small animal and large animal work e.g. farm or equine vet. For the other, try kennels, stables, dairy farms ( essential), lambing or calving, pig farm, turkey farms, goat farms, city farms and maybe a day in an abbatoir. After that its anything to make your application stand out.. I think its 5As at least at GCSE, with As in science.
Reply 6
I got 8 A*s and 3 As at GCSE, 5 As at AS level and 3 As at Alevel in bio, chem an english. Offer was AAB from the RVC also got pooled for Cambridge :smile: erm 13 weeks work exp overall.
Reply 7
does the 13 weeks have to be completed before application? :smile:
Yes.
Reply 9
Does the work experience you have planned count if its booked and wrote down in your PS?
Reply 10
To a certain extent, provided it's before any interviews. But you should ideally have more than 10 by the time you apply.

Out of interest, how many weeks have you got and are you applying this year?
Reply 11
yep I'm applying this year (re applicant)

completed:
3 weeks SA vet
4 month part time placement SA vet
2 years kennels and cattery joined to SA vet
1 week mixed farm
2 weeks between 2 alpaca farms
1 week home of rest for retired horses
1 week mixed vet, SA, farm and equine

booked for after application:
1 week cattle farming
1 week calving
1/2 weeks lambing and general sheep work
1 week small organic farm. mostly pig work
1 week different SA vets with canine hydrotherapy
a few sessions of animal impulse therapy
I have a few more hopeful placements including a dairy farm, zoo and an abbatoir
You've got more than enough =D.
Reply 13
OK cool thanks...I was having a little panic moment
Reply 14
i live in NI, and where i live there isn't much to do regarding work experience :s-smilie:

my dad is a vet, uncle owns a large dairy farm, i may be able to get some lab work experience through a contact, i handle horses regularly but other than that there isnt much. For example there is only one veterinary practice close to me, so i will have to travel quite far to get to my second practice for a placement.

is 10 weeks the absolute minimum needed to get a place at any uni? :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Its the minimum for liverpool, which asks for the most out of all the unis, 4 weeks vet, 6 weeks other :smile:
Nopers, 2 weeks at RVC, and mainly around 6 weeks for ones like Nottingham.
Reply 17
Do most applicants at unis like RVC and Nottingham not have a lot more than 2 or 6 weeks? or is it only Liverpool applicants that need the full 10 weeks?
Reply 18
Yes, most serious applicants will have a lot more than 2 weeks. Some will have around 6 weeks, but many will have more.
Reply 19
one more question..does anyone know how many total applicants unis like RVC and liverpool recieve each year?

Latest