Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

How bad is crime in Nottingham?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
punktopia
Nope, I'm just not stupid enough to live in Nottingham.

LOL. Nottingham is not South Central L.A.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 81
Dijobla
LOL. Nottingham is not South Central L.A.

More's the shame.
Having recently moved to Nottingham from Birmingham the level of crime is no worse, just like any other major city avoid the dicey areas... don't be a tit and you won't have a problem.
Jesus people the crime is not that bad at all. I was there for 3 years and nothing happened at all to me or my friends. I mean Yale apparantly has more crime, i mean students get murdered there and they have to have their own dedicated police force on campus (harvard to).

It is all one big rumour.
"Police recorded 44,103 offences for 12 months up until August 31 this year

NOTTINGHAM COUNCIL ENGLISH AVERAGE

Violence against the person 29.8 15.0
Sexual offences 2.0 0.9
Robbery offences 5.4 1.0
Burglary dwelling offences 15.1 4.3
Theft of a motor vehicle offences 4.2 2.3
Theft from a vehicle offences 15.3 6.3
Crime statistics are per 1,000 of the population within the local authority area."
Reply 86
flugestuge
"Police recorded 44,103 offences for 12 months up until August 31 this year...

Why not quote the rest of the sentence?

...a 26.1% drop on the 59,663 registered in the 12 months up until March 31, 2007.
Reply 87
simeon
Why not quote the rest of the sentence?

Owned :biggrin:
Reading the statistics sort of put me off though... :frown: it doesn't look like the safest place to study tbh, I've been told it is comparatively more "chavvy" and dangerous than other university cities... thoughts?
Reply 89
Libertas_Mentis
Reading the statistics sort of put me off though... :frown: it doesn't look like the safest place to study tbh, I've been told it is comparatively more "chavvy" and dangerous than other university cities... thoughts?

You'll be fine. Seriously. What statistics have you seen? If you mean the statistics that have been posted here in post #87, remember that 'english average' is not the same as english cities average'. Obviously there are areas of the country with a lot less crime than Nottingham, but any city has its fair share of crime.
What other universities are you looking at? Nottingham is no worse than any city of the same size, and it's a lot better than London.

Some areas of Nottingham are pretty rough, but Nottingham is a big place and those areas are nowhere near the university. The areas around the university - Beeston, Lenton, Wolaton, Radford - are absolutley fine. There's a bit of burgulary, but that's to be expected when you have thousands of rich students living in not very secure houses. Aside from that, crime is fairly average.
Exactly what jhs08 said. To be honest, in and around Beeston where I am, it's very rare for me to actually come across chavs. They are far outnumbered by students. There are way more chavs knocking around my quite nice area about 10 miles outside of Birmingham centre, I feel much safer here than at home.

Anyway, the Student Satisfaction Survey is currently being compiled, I just filled mine in and one of the questions was based on how safe you feel in certain areas of Nottingham, the results are released in Semester 2 so keep an eye out and I'l sure you'll get a more defeinitive answer from that rather than some dubious and mostly irrelevant statistics. :smile:
There are around 4000 crimes a month in the Nottingham Council area according to police statistics.
Violent crimes are around twice as common as in the average English Council.

Violence against the person:
NOTTINGHAM COUNCIL 29.8
ENGLISH AVERAGE 15.0

Crime statistics are per 1,000 of the population within the local authority area.
OK, so obviously being in Texas you will definitely be clued up on what goes on in Nottingham?

Please provide a source for your statistics, otherwise you could just be making them up.
Reply 93
jannike
I went to the open day at Nottingham university yesterday, and loved it. Beautiful campus, open and green with a pretty lake, lovely buildings, and the English studies talk was really good.

So I went back to the train station feeling quite happy, only to find that my train just wasn't coming anymore, and I would have to wait two hours for the next one. So my boyfriend and I went outside and walked down the street to Tesco Express. The first thing we saw when we went in, however, was a man scooping a shelf-full of sweets into a carrier bag and walking out with them. We told the shop-assistant and she told us that they get more shoplifters than customers! :frown:

Maybe right outside the train station in Nottingham isn't the nicest part, so are there nice parts? Is the whole of Nottingham crime-ridden, or are there good places to eat and go shopping where you aren't so likely to witness robberies?

It's impoverished, socially alienated, ethnic minorities shooting impoverished, socially alienated, ethnic minorities. That's where the high gun crime figures come from. Stay away from the ghettos where people play being 'gangstas' and you'll be fine; there's really no reason to go there as a student anyway.
jhs08
You'll be fine. Seriously. What statistics have you seen? If you mean the statistics that have been posted here in post #87, remember that 'english average' is not the same as english cities average'. Obviously there are areas of the country with a lot less crime than Nottingham, but any city has its fair share of crime.
What other universities are you looking at? Nottingham is no worse than any city of the same size, and it's a lot better than London.

Some areas of Nottingham are pretty rough, but Nottingham is a big place and those areas are nowhere near the university. The areas around the university - Beeston, Lenton, Wolaton, Radford - are absolutley fine. There's a bit of burgulary, but that's to be expected when you have thousands of rich students living in not very secure houses. Aside from that, crime is fairly average.

Christian_j

Exactly what jhs08 said. To be honest, in and around Beeston where I am, it's very rare for me to actually come across chavs. They are far outnumbered by students. There are way more chavs knocking around my quite nice area about 10 miles outside of Birmingham centre, I feel much safer here than at home.

Anyway, the Student Satisfaction Survey is currently being compiled, I just filled mine in and one of the questions was based on how safe you feel in certain areas of Nottingham, the results are released in Semester 2 so keep an eye out and I'l sure you'll get a more defeinitive answer from that rather than some dubious and mostly irrelevant statistics.

Thank you both very much =) I've just realised how silly my doubts were really...but I'll be coming from continental Europe and living on my own, so I wanted to be reassured...the other unis I applied to are York, Warwick, Sheffield and Durham...I'll look into the results of the survey, thanks very much for the info. I didn't want this "crime" aspect to put me off cause I like Nottingham and the course I chose. :smile:
Reply 95
Libertas_Mentis
Thank you both very much =) I've just realised how silly my doubts were really...but I'll be coming from continental Europe and living on my own, so I wanted to be reassured...the other unis I applied to are York, Warwick, Sheffield and Durham...I'll look into the results of the survey, thanks very much for the info. I didn't want this "crime" aspect to put me off cause I like Nottingham and the course I chose. :smile:

Warwick Uni is in the countryside so crime is likely to be a bit lower there - but York Durham and Sheffield will have crime, just like any city. Really don't worry about it, it's not even something worth factoring into your decision making process.
Reply 96
Applying there this year and couldn't care less. There's crime in every city, use common sense and you probably will be fine. It really shouldn't be a reason for someone not to pick it.
Original post by kates:)
Wow, sorry but don't listen to anyone who has come onto this thread quoting things and saying 'ooh I've heard this' and 'oooh apparently' because you have to have lived there and experienced it before you have any basis to judge, IMO. I come from a very nice, pretty much crime-less town in Berkshire but I have not once felt my safety to be in jeopardy or to feel threatened in Nottingham. Sure, it has statistics against it and a lot of hear-say reputation but it is not at all as bad as it is made out to be. Manchester and parts of London are certainly worse. Ok so you get the usual petty theft, a shooting and a stabbing, and petty crimes but it is not full of gangsta's strutting the streets, guns blazing and bloodshed everywhere. The city centre is generally very safe, a high police presence, plenty of students and younger people which means it is always busy, lots of bouncers. The areas you will go as a student are not the danger areas of the Meadows and St. Anns which are relatively fair out. Security on campus is also very good. Overall, crime is not a reason to rule Nottingham out. Read this if you want re-assurance: http://www.impactnottingham.com/2009/08/ng7-no-longer-a-burglary-hotspot/

biggest pile of ******** ever. Whatever shes says do the opposite...

heres the real nottingham

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0CYA7exchI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dCLtZFyV5k
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by louiscypher
biggest pile of bollox ever. Whatever shes says do the opposite...

You've dug out a 2 year old thread for this?

You are a prize f*cking helmet sir!
Reply 99
Original post by louiscypher
biggest pile of bollox ever. Whatever shes says do the opposite...

:rolleyes: clearly one extreme event of violence is a better marker to judge a city by than the experience of somebody who lived there for 3 years...idiot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending