The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

How bad is crime in Nottingham?

I went to the open day at Nottingham university yesterday, and loved it. Beautiful campus, open and green with a pretty lake, lovely buildings, and the English studies talk was really good.

So I went back to the train station feeling quite happy, only to find that my train just wasn't coming anymore, and I would have to wait two hours for the next one. So my boyfriend and I went outside and walked down the street to Tesco Express. The first thing we saw when we went in, however, was a man scooping a shelf-full of sweets into a carrier bag and walking out with them. We told the shop-assistant and she told us that they get more shoplifters than customers! :frown:

Maybe right outside the train station in Nottingham isn't the nicest part, so are there nice parts? Is the whole of Nottingham crime-ridden, or are there good places to eat and go shopping where you aren't so likely to witness robberies?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It has a bad reputation, but like any city I think some areas are nicer (and safer!) than others. My brother and his family have lived in Nottingham for years and I visit him all the time, and neither of us have had any problems :dontknow:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I went to the open day yesterday too, looked around the city (I went there last week too to have a look), and I absolutely LOVE it. You really should go and visit the city itself. The central square has this massive water feature, there was one pedestrain area that was just lined with really good resturants like Prezzo (and Pizza Hut :smile:) with people all eating and drinking sat outside, and they have so many good shops.

Whenever I go to London I get this amazing feeling like its really special, and I got the same one walking around Nottingham.

Also, I didn't see any crimes taking place :smile:
Reply 3
I heard it's quite knifey, but crime can be easily avoided. Just shave your head and don't act pretentious, the kind of people that are looking to mug you will target the guys with long hair, A&F clothes and fancy watches.

Don't be a douche and you wont get mugged. Simple.
Reply 4
Depends really, just as bad as any other city to be honest and students are always natural targets for opportunist thieves. My friend has been mugged twice in the two years he's been at Nottingham, once near Primark and another time near to his house. He's also been burgled once too despite having a burglar alarm. However I also know people who've never experienced such things, so really it's a case of being unlucky and in the wrong place at the wrong time I guess.

Just as likely to be a victim in Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, or Birmingham really.
Reply 6
jannike
I went to the open day at Nottingham university yesterday, and loved it. Beautiful campus, open and green with a pretty lake, lovely buildings, and the English studies talk was really good.

So I went back to the train station feeling quite happy, only to find that my train just wasn't coming anymore, and I would have to wait two hours for the next one. So my boyfriend and I went outside and walked down the street to Tesco Express. The first thing we saw when we went in, however, was a man scooping a shelf-full of sweets into a carrier bag and walking out with them. We told the shop-assistant and she told us that they get more shoplifters than customers! :frown:

Maybe right outside the train station in Nottingham isn't the nicest part, so are there nice parts? Is the whole of Nottingham crime-ridden, or are there good places to eat and go shopping where you aren't so likely to witness robberies?

The city centre is decent but there are a lot of rough areas around it like St. Anns and The Meadows. The Campus area is fine. Though Clifton, where NTU is, is pretty bad as well as Arnold, Carlton and Bestwood.
Reply 7
Well, I live near Nottingham and go to college there, and I can tell you not to judge the city off of the area by the train station- it's right near the 'Meadows' council estate which I hear does have quite a crime rate. But it's like anywhere, just don't go into dodgy places at night. :P Over all, it's a nice place.
I hope you enjoy it if you choose to go to uni in Notts. :smile:
Reply 8
Wear a kevlar vest on the streets and you'll be fine in Shottingham
Reply 9
jannike

Come, now. Shoplifting doesn't harm anybody.
Reply 10
It's got a bit of a reputation and there are some dodgy areas. Clearly however you won't be visiting theses areas and in all likelihood, you'll be fine. It's not that bad at all.
Reply 11
Wow, sorry but don't listen to anyone who has come onto this thread quoting things and saying 'ooh I've heard this' and 'oooh apparently' because you have to have lived there and experienced it before you have any basis to judge, IMO. I come from a very nice, pretty much crime-less town in Berkshire but I have not once felt my safety to be in jeopardy or to feel threatened in Nottingham. Sure, it has statistics against it and a lot of hear-say reputation but it is not at all as bad as it is made out to be. Manchester and parts of London are certainly worse. Ok so you get the usual petty theft, a shooting and a stabbing, and petty crimes but it is not full of gangsta's strutting the streets, guns blazing and bloodshed everywhere. The city centre is generally very safe, a high police presence, plenty of students and younger people which means it is always busy, lots of bouncers. The areas you will go as a student are not the danger areas of the Meadows and St. Anns which are relatively fair out. Security on campus is also very good. Overall, crime is not a reason to rule Nottingham out. Read this if you want re-assurance: http://www.impactnottingham.com/2009/08/ng7-no-longer-a-burglary-hotspot/
Reply 12
Meadows and St. Annes is not very good but the rest is fine, and not too close to where the uni is. I live in nottingham, and most people here are saying what they have heard. Honestly, its a really good city.
Reply 13
am at nott uni..no crime incidents have happened wiv me yet. thank god
Spend a couple of days here and experience a night out in Nottingham and as already said, you'll see that Nottingham is a good place to live.
I've lived here all my life and have never experienced any sort of crime etc. I feel totally safe walking around Nottingham day and night.
Reply 15
punktopia
Come, now. Shoplifting doesn't harm anybody.

True, but it does give a clue as to the kind of values people hold lol. I'm sure a lot of shoplifters engage in a little mugging from time to time.
Reply 16
jannike
True, but it does give a clue as to the kind of values people hold lol. I'm sure a lot of shoplifters engage in a little mugging from time to time.

And I'm sure most people have shoplifted at least once in their youth. Shoplifting is completely different from mugging though... surely you can see that.
It's been discussed several time in length. Nottingham is not as bad as it's made out to be. If you're street smart or just generally have common sense you shouldn't be a victim of any crime. This includes not walking alone at night, locking your doors, closing your windows, not advertising what's in your house/bag etc. If you avoid the rough areas, e.g. St Anns, The Meadows then there's nothing to worry about. The typical student areas e.g. Lenton, Beeston etc are safe areas, just some people are silly and don't take the right precautions and leave themselves to getting burgled.
Reply 18
punktopia
And I'm sure most people have shoplifted at least once in their youth. Shoplifting is completely different from mugging though... surely you can see that.

Sure, but this wasn't a youth looking for a bit of a thrill- this was a guy in his 30s.

Yes, shoplifting and mugging are not the same, but I just mean that seeing a shoplifter didn't exactly make me think, "Wow, the people round here are really friendly."

Anyway, I don't want to argue with you :smile:
Reply 19
jannike
Sure, but this wasn't a youth looking for a bit of a thrill- this was a guy in his 30s.

Yes, shoplifting and mugging are not the same, but I just mean that seeing a shoplifter didn't exactly make me think, "Wow, the people round here are really friendly."

Anyway, I don't want to argue with you :smile:

Maybe he needed to eat? Maybe he was living on the streets? Come on, you know NOTHING about his situation - and yet you went straight over and reported him. Do you think Tescos can't afford to give a bit of their wealth away to some poor guy who doesn't even have a home?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending