The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im in a bit of a tight situation here, due to personal circumstances (finances,family obligations etc ) , i want to change my uni and go somewhere else, Im about to start uni at Leeds uni in a couple of weeks, but would like to move closer to home.
Is this a normal situation, do unis allow tranfers in the first year,what do you think guys, is this a lost battle. Anyone ever tranferred at the start of their cause:confused: :confused: :confused: a lot of questions , i know please HELP:frown: . my loan has not been paid yet, if that helps.
Painkiller
Im in a bit of a tight situation here, due to personal circumstances (finances,family obligations etc ) , i want to change my uni and go somewhere else, Im about to start uni at Leeds uni in a couple of weeks, but would like to move closer to home.
Is this a normal situation, do unis allow tranfers in the first year,what do you think guys, is this a lost battle. Anyone ever tranferred at the start of their cause:confused: :confused: :confused: a lot of questions , i know please HELP:frown: . my loan has not been paid yet, if that helps.

Possible.

You need to be speaking to your unis, not TSR.
Reply 3
freshers week people meet each other a lot at uni during freshers events happening in the evening/night. This being no problem for those living on campus as they are able to go out to nearly every event during the evening allowing them to meet new people but what about people living at home?

Living at home, I doubt id be able to go to every event at freshers week maybe just 1 or 2 nor would i be able to stay at anyones. I guess freshers wont be so important for people like me then... any advice?
a12
freshers week people meet each other a lot at uni during freshers events happening in the evening/night. This being no problem for those living on campus as they are able to go out to nearly every event during the evening allowing them to meet new people but what about people living at home?

Living at home, I doubt id be able to go to every event at freshers week maybe just 1 or 2 nor would i be able to stay at anyones. I guess freshers wont be so important for people like me then... any advice?

i'm moving to london to live with my aunt who considers me to be like her own child and so she will probs not be letting me go out a lot cos she's heard horror stories(just the other day I got told about people drowning in the thames after their boat sank) and she has three babies so i think i'll be doing a LOT of babysitting :frown: so if you have the opportunity, go out more than twice cos i sure as hell am going to make the effort! i kindof wish i was in halls tho but i think the family support will help and it'll be wayyyy cheaper
a12

it will be harder for freshers that live at home, or away from campus, a know people that have and didn't go out much in freshers due to it, you will have to make more effort getting to know people, popping along to day events are a good idea to do this in freshers week, people turn up you may end up getting to know them and becoming friends
Reply 6
Well, I have a 40 minute drive to get to Freshers Week. This is my plan.

I've checked all the timetables (events and welcome lectures etc). I've drawn up a schedule of what I can, and can't, go to. There are plenty of "events" going on during the day - and yes, that includes library tours and ID collecting, where you will be amongst others :biggrin:

The weekend of the welcome ball, I've booked into a B&B for the night so I can have a good night without worrying about driving home :biggrin: If I'm fortunate enough to make a friend with someone living on campus they may offer me their floor for the night, but I'm a cautious soul and I'm not keen to sleep on anyone's floor when I barely know them!

I'll obviously meet people during the day events and I hope to mix with people at the ball. But, I'm also very well aware that I'll be meeting people at lots of other times during the course as well, and not just at Freshers week. This means I haven't put any pressure on myself to be the "fastest friend gatherer" :wink: I don't care if my Facebook account has 2 friends or 200 - its the quality of friendship which means the most to me, not the quantity.

Could you get a bus/train/taxi so that you could enjoy the evening events?
Reply 7
ha that very helpful:mad: now some real advice pliz:frown:
Reply 8
Painkiller
ha that very helpful:mad: now some real advice pliz:frown:

That was helpful. Uni policies will vary. Speak to your uni as soon as possible and contact the uni you wish to go to.
Reply 9
Nick_000
That was helpful. Uni policies will vary. Speak to your uni as soon as possible and contact the uni you wish to go to.

yeah ok, but i just wanted to know if someone has done this before, like is it a do-able situation???
Reply 10
a12

Sucks big time - London UG closes at midnight - need a car asap
Reply 11
fanta90
Sucks big time - London UG closes at midnight - need a car asap

night buses :biggrin:
and you can drink as much as you want because you don't have to drive
girl0808
ok so the first day you can move into my uni is the 18th friday. you can go a few days early, but you have to pay for the extra days...

i dont know whther to go alone on the friday. via train, then come home on the saturday to pick up more stuff and come back...........OR....just go on saturday, with my brother via train, he can carry stuff so i dont need urgent extra trips...bare in the mind the journey by train is only about an hour...

the pros of the first option are:
1. i get to meet people without them forming friendships and going out at night without me..
2. id have more time to go and have a look around, go to shops, on my own.

negatives.
1. there might not be anyone there so pretty pointless.
2. i have to travel more
3. people may arrive on saturday and i have to go home to collect more stuff instead of doing freshers activities.
4. other people might spend the day hanging with family. then again , they will have gone by night.

the second option, going on sat with my bro postives are
1. i dont have to walk to my accomodation alone
2. i dont have to make another trip home..
3. i can hang round with my brother for a while, if others are with their family or theres no one there.

negatives.
1. if everyone arrives on friday, i will feel like the newbie and that everyone knows each other.

dfo u think most will move in on friday? what should i do? bare in mind, registration is monday, so its not like i have a long time to move in

firday is a very different day to move into halls with people working, mums and dads working so no means of getting to the uni, or getting here late so no means of picking up keys, also people may stay at home on Friday, last time seeing everyone and all that,maybe more would more in on a saturday, just because they would have more time and easier to get there, some people will come on firday, prob not all, plus being your birthday on that firday, how do you want to spend it, missing one day won't make much of a big deal at uni, yes if people have moved in they get a day of knowing each other, but you can still fit in and get to know people pretty quick, is it registration for everyone on the monday, or is that when it opens, teaching won't start on the monday, you should have a freshers week

it is down to you, what do you feel like doing
I was going to start a thread but then i saw this sticky... my questions aren't exactly fresher week related but they are a bit noob-ish :colondollar:
I basically want to know about what university studying is like... I'm doing a science based degree so it's going to be a lot of theory rather than practical i think...
Is it similar to A Level where u get given a syllabus? and you cover every point with a textbook specific to your module?
Do you have the slides for lectures before you go into them or do u collect them after the lectures... like would you make notes on the slides or make notes seperately?
How are the exams set for sciences...? eg. in A Levels for biology or chemistry ur pretty safe if you get the textbook endorsed by the exam board and go through it with your syllabus... i hope this is making sense... i just don't want to be underprepared like I was for A Levels :colondollar:

Thanks in advance for any advice :bigsmile:
EierVonSatan

I'm afraid it's very different at university, I often used a combination of lectures and books to get through - sometimes the questions were very abstract and less predictable. Important to mention is that you can't get past papers with mark schemes.

Thanks for ur reply, was very helpful... and a bit scary :p: especially the no past papers part :zomg:... so when revising u just learn from ur notes and go into the exam without any exam practice :afraid: aren't there even specimen papers? or doesn't the lecturer give u past exam questions when going through a certain topic *panic*

edit: ps, i'm doing genetics
EierVonSatan
Oh you get past papers, just with no answers :p: So it makes it more difficult just to learn the markscheme for a certain type of question. When revising I'll go through my notes, tutorial/workshop questions and then work through past papers. :smile:

aah i see, that's a fraction less scary... shall have to brave at big school:bigsmile:

thanks again!
Reply 16
When do you usually get your timetable?
I'm going to Essex and it's 3 weeks left until I arrive (4th Oct) and I have already chosen my modules (enrol) which also have been confirmed.
But many freshers seem to know about their timetables already, how do you find out? The university homepage doesn't give any timetables unless you are using an account for 'registered students'- as a matter of fact my status is still 'applicant' and I can't find anything relevant :frown:
All I know is about freshers week events, introductions and meetings etc.
Lindath
When do you usually get your timetable?
I'm going to Essex and it's 3 weeks left until I arrive (4th Oct) and I have already chosen my modules (enrol) which also have been confirmed.
But many freshers seem to know about their timetables already, how do you find out? The university homepage doesn't give any timetables unless you are using an account for 'registered students'- as a matter of fact my status is still 'applicant' and I can't find anything relevant :frown:
All I know is about freshers week events, introductions and meetings etc.

they been at for a while at essex :p: since the start of this month :p:

http://www2.essex.ac.uk/academic/offices/tt/Colchester%20Campus%20Timetables.html click on that link, then click on your department, it should open in a excel sheet, make sure you know your module number like for (bs261), first year will be i.e bs101, it list every module so you need to work it out for your self, it give you time data and room number, and the weeks its running, once you get to the uni your department may give you a hard copy for the first term, or a copy will be up on first year boards and just note it down, classes as it says on the site you won't know until you get to uni
Reply 18
where do you go for fancy dress again. i didn't really do the fancy dress scene as i'm not a goon. so where to get it again? the costumes etc
Reply 19
am i the only one who cringes at the thought of fancy dress? how lame. got it in freshers, i don't want to dress up a a clown tbh oh well.

Latest