Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help,lost pictures!

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    take ownership of the folder

right click on the folder, Properties. go to the Security tab. at the bottom, click Advanced.

in the new window that appeared, go to the Permissions tab. add yourself, and give yourself full control.
    go to the owner tab, and set your self as the owner
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrosson)
    Yeah, i was hoping it would copy the pics folder along with everything else, and then you could delete the irrelevant stuff. Worth a shot. Hope it works out.

I've gone back to it today,looked through my whole computer,ran through a file recovery program,and nothings turned up! It seems as though when I dragged the folder over they disappeared off the face of the earth :eek:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -aimz)
    I've gone back to it today,looked through my whole computer,ran through a file recovery program,and nothings turned up! It seems as though when I dragged the folder over they disappeared off the face of the earth :eek:
    try what i suggested
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    try what i suggested
    I don't think XP home has that kind of control in permissions (not accessible in file properties anyway). Hopefully she has XP pro.
    And I'm not sure if you can take ownership of a folder owned by system without being system (which you can be if you are admin - complicated process though). It'll be interesting to find out.

(Original post by -aimz)
    Those files definitely still exist and are safe (read the sentence again - there's no need to worry). Your computer just won't let you get at them. It's admittedly a pretty poor state of affairs, but as long as you dont delete the e121286eb641d80ce folder they're fine...just inaccessible.
    Alex's suggestion is a good one (perhaps not the clearest instructions, but I didn't think of it so I can hardly criticise:p: ). If that doesn't work, the easiest option is to get a friendly computer geek to help - the difficulty with instructions on here is everything is everything goes through an intermediary step (you).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did this ever get resolved. I have manged to do the same thing and cannot recover the files for the same reasons described. Tried all the actions suggested by Chrosson. a duplicate of the folder was created minus the files I have lost. I cant seem to take ownership as was suggested. I am using Windows XP Porfessional. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 17, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.