The Student Room Group

Is cambridge a viable option for a university for me?

Hi, my ambition is to study veterinary medicine at cambridge. I did ok at my AS levels but i completely screwed up my chemistry grade :s-smilie:. Im taking maths, further maths physics and chemistry. I got AAB, but then a D in chemistry. I understand chemistry is fundamental subject to the course but i know that i am capable of an A in chemistry if i retake it. Will Cambridge so much as give me an interview or just throw my application in the bin? On a side note, even if veterinary medicine is no longer an option, would they perhaps consider me for a course in engineering? I was thinking about applying to cambridge for a course in engineering whilst applying to several other universities who are more lax about retakes for their veterinary course. Can people apply to 2 such differing courses? Does it make a personal statement a pain to write (well, more of a pain)
thanks
Reply 1
On the plus side, Cambridge interview a much higher percentage than Oxford so you've at least got a chance of gettign to interview. If you have very high predictions, a strong reference and completely blow the interviewers away at interview, then you still have a chance.

On the downside, they look particularly favourable on retakes and you have to declare all your module results and UMS marks of every AS/A2 exam you've taken. That D is still goign to be on your form and if you can't get teachers to predict highly for A2 you'll struggle.

Applying to two very different courses is a virtual impossibility when it comes to writing a PS, especially for the top unis. It has to be incredibly subject focused and obviously vet science is competitive enough as it is so if they see a PS about engineering they'll throw you straight in the bin, while if Cambridge start reading a PS about Vet science for a engineering applicant they'll think you aren't committed to the subject you're applying for (which obviously you wouldn't be if vet science is your real dream) and they'll also throw you in the bin.
Reply 2
Being brutally honest you've probably blown your chances. It is Cambridge we're talking about here.
Reply 3
Thanks for the replys. I think my predicted grades may redeem me slightly. I dont know them yet but I can probably guess AAB at least. Could someone tell me whether or not there are any other universities that would accept me for veterinary medicine? Also, whether or not i need the BMAT or UKCAT exam for the university would be appreciated info.
Thanks
Why don't you go read their websites?
Reply 5
I don't like to sound too pessimistic but I think cambridge is out of the question with a D in chemistry.

By all means go for it if you want, it's just my opinion but their grade offers are nearly always AAA and the head of the veterinary faculty told me last year that they can forgive January AS resits but any more than that and you might as well not bother. He also said that they're looking for 90% plus in all your modules. Even with high predicted grades, I don't think that will make them overlook the D when they have so many other applicants with their required grades.

Most of the other unis out of the seven accept retakes within the two years so if you can resit your chemistry modules to get it up to an A then you might stand a chance. I had a C in chemistry last year at AS but came out with an A after re-doing some of the modules and Liverpool still gave me a chance as did some of the other unis.

Plus I might add that Liverpool is above cambridge in the 2010 uni tables for veterinary science :wink:
Reply 6
Oh and don't forget work experience which is one of the main factors in applying. As someone has already said, check out the entry requirements for all of the universities online and then see which ones you can realistically achieve.
jamminjazman
Hi, my ambition is to study veterinary medicine at cambridge. I did ok at my AS levels but i completely screwed up my chemistry grade :s-smilie:. Im taking maths, further maths physics and chemistry. I got AAB, but then a D in chemistry. I understand chemistry is fundamental subject to the course but i know that i am capable of an A in chemistry if i retake it. Will Cambridge so much as give me an interview or just throw my application in the bin? On a side note, even if veterinary medicine is no longer an option, would they perhaps consider me for a course in engineering? I was thinking about applying to cambridge for a course in engineering whilst applying to several other universities who are more lax about retakes for their veterinary course. Can people apply to 2 such differing courses? Does it make a personal statement a pain to write (well, more of a pain)
thanks

Ring up Cambridge.

But tbh, I should ask you - are you even passionate for either Engineering or Vet Med, because, to me, it sounds you are wanting to go to "Cambridge", but not interested in the course.

And Cambridge wants applicants that are interested in the course rather than the name of Cambridge.

Imo, decide first if you are going to go for Vet Med or Engineering, because you sound you are not committed to either of them.

But in any case, just ring up.
Reply 8
I took you seriously right about up until I realised you just want to go to Cambridge because it's Cambridge. Do you want to do vet med? Or Engineering? Or just Cambridge full stop any course?
Reply 9
im so academic
Ring up Cambridge.

But tbh, I should ask you - are you even passionate for either Engineering or Vet Med, because, to me, it sounds you are wanting to go to "Cambridge", but not interested in the course.

And Cambridge wants applicants that are interested in the course rather than the name of Cambridge.

Imo, decide first if you are going to go for Vet Med or Engineering, because you sound you are not committed to either of them.

But in any case, just ring up.

Im genuinely interested in veterinary medicine. Ive wanted to work with animals my entire life. Im not too fussed about engineering but my logic was that if veterinary medicine was no longer an option, a degree from cambridge (in anything really) would open some doors even if they arent my ideal choice.
Reply 10
Well then apply to vet med and if it doesn't work out, change your direction in life. You cant do both at the same time, your PS will never work, and you need to make yourself sound more committed to vetmed than you currently sound, if you're going to satisfy admissions tutors
jamminjazman
Im genuinely interested in veterinary medicine. Ive wanted to work with animals my entire life. Im not too fussed about engineering but my logic was that if veterinary medicine was no longer an option, a degree from cambridge (in anything really) would open some doors even if they arent my ideal choice.

And if you don't get in?

There are plenty of other unis that open a lot of doors, e.g. Durham, Bristol, Imperial, LSE, Nottingham, Edinburgh etc.
jamminjazman

if your not too fussed about a subject don't take it
engineering is a hard course with alot of lecture time and you really need to be dedicated to it to succeed.
cambridge need A*AA predictions i think (correct me if i'm wrong) and they want you be be extremely dedicated to your subject doing alot of work experience and other related projects/activities

ask cambridge admissions tutors as they can give you the best advice

Latest

Trending

Trending