The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 9th in Sunday Times ranking due to Satisfaction scores - sort it out lads

In todays 2010 sunday times ranking LSE came a shocking 9th due to a student satisfaction score that ranked them 106th . Surely the LSE students are conscious that people and applicants will automatically see the uni as getting worse and give it a good score because it is silly that both UCL and Imperial are rated as better.

Dont you agree.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone know the real causes of it?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
autohmail
Does anyone know the real causes of it?

It was mainly down to low student satisfaction it seems
Reply 3
Surely LSE students who are jolly smart and got top grades and rejected better ranked unis want their uni and achievement recognised, and thus would give them a good score having seen what a bad score is doing to the ranking.

Afterall, a ranking does legitimise and solidify reputation
Reply 4
I'm happy at my universities performance =)

3rd isn't all that bad :wink:
Reply 5
The only people who take the survey are those who feel unhappy about something. Another fact is no one at lse in their right mind will give a toss about league tables.
Reply 6
ColdVein
It was mainly down to low student satisfaction it seems

No, I meant, like, erm ... y'know the low student - oh, flip this.
Reply 8
Take out the NSS scores and LSE is a strong fifth. It's not going to rock the boat with many.
Reply 9
The reason for LSE's low student satisfaction score is because it really doesn't seem to give a flying **** about student satisfaction. That's why.
I think LSE students should care though. I mean when you fill in the survey you are about to leave the school so therefore any changes in teaching as a result of the survey will not affect you.

Do not forget, you go to one of the worlds top universities and i for one would want my choice to be vindicated by a ranking however stupid they are, esp when i personally could change it.

Afterall, loads of school leavers who have bever heard of the LSE (Like i never had) may not apply there if it likely goes out of the top 10 because they take rankings so seriously and see it as hard to get into. Afterall, who wants to apply to a school ranked 12th but harder to get into and less social and fun than one ranked 5th with great satisfaction. And research has shown this is true.
Reply 11
Ach, you might write off the university league tables, but fall out of the top 5 and applications per place will suffer. Take a look at what happened to the University of Manchester.

I think the high proportion of internationals might be the problem. They see the cramped inner city location, the frankly poor levels of contact hours - don't compare well to the top US institutions.
astudent
The only people who take the survey are those who feel unhappy about something. Another fact is no one at lse in their right mind will give a toss about league tables.

this^

I mean cmon, if Oxford student rated it last of all unis, would that matter a huge lot employability wise?
^

Yeah but if Oxford ranked 5th every year because of it then it would hit its reputation hard. If St Andrews ranked 1st every year simply due to 100 per cent satisfaction then it would soon be seen as the best - even though it would not be.

Therfore, if LSE rans 12th every year from now on then it would go down in peoples estimations. This is why it is important
Reply 14
zxczxc
The reason for LSE's low student satisfaction score is because it really doesn't seem to give a flying **** about student satisfaction. That's why.

err 123. is everyone missing out the fact that howard davies called undergrads all loss making students to the school? lse doesn't give a **** really, i personally feel like i pay close to 13k per year only for lse's name.

there's no reason for me to prop up student satisfaction scores just so that lse ranks higher. it's pretty much a given that firms fall over themselves to give lse graduates jobs, and it's pretty indisputable that lse's degrees are of a certain quality. all the other rankings definitely confirm that. but do i enjoy lse's quality of teachers, support systems, contact hours, the general do-what-you-will-we-don't-give-a-flip attitude? lse deserves the student satisfaction scores it gets, maybe it'll buck up and give me my money's worth for a wholesome education.

wait why are we caring about rankings again? people are still going to put lse next to oxbridge above any other uni regardless
Reply 15
Nissay

there's no reason for me to prop up student satisfaction scores just so that lse ranks higher. it's pretty much a given that firms fall over themselves to give lse graduates jobs, and it's pretty indisputable that lse's degrees are of a certain quality. all the other rankings definitely confirm that. but do i enjoy lse's quality of teachers, support systems, contact hours, the general do-what-you-will-we-don't-give-a-flip attitude?

Exactly. I couldn't give a monkey's about the LSE's ranking in league tables, but I am concerned about the low student satisfaction and a lot of things said in this forum seem to suggest why. You hear about class teachers unable to speak English, academics who would rather spend their time talking to Radio4 about the credit crunch than helping their students, study-obsessed robots and students keeping in groups of ethnicity and whatnot. Then, it is simply not surprising that overall people are not going to be happy there in that sort of environment.

True, the LSE cannot be blamed for the nature of their undergraduates, but they can account for the bloody staff.
Reply 16
If this dissatisfaction stems from teaching quality then I can see why, I've had some shockingly bad teaching at LSE, this applies to a few departments!
Reply 17
Well I hope this would put off many applicants this year :awesome:
Reply 18
naddles
If this dissatisfaction stems from teaching quality then I can see why, I've had some shockingly bad teaching at LSE, this applies to a few departments!

woah... this is really scaring me now.. :s-smilie:
Reply 19
screw league tables. look at employment prospects and starting salary.

plus LSE are 4th in the world for social science (not just econ) after harvard, berkely, and stanford. http://www.topuniversities.com/worlduniversityrankings/results/2008/subject_rankings/social_sciences/

they own europe.

Quick Reply