The Student Room Group
There was someone on a while ago with an offer for this subject... doing a search may help you track them down. Also, I think there may be someone applying this year for Arabic
Reply 3
My sister's applying to Oxford for Chinese this year. She's doing the IB and it looks like the offer should be 38 or 39 points.
Reply 4
I've applied for Chinese... I got an unconditional offer because I applied post A-Level, but I got straight As. I'd imagine straight As or AAB is what you should be thinking about getting.
Reply 5
if it helps, I am applying for Oriental Studies (Japanese) *Shrug*

Tonheuru:

How did the interview go? Did you already speak chinese before applying?
Reply 6
Doitsujin:

My interview for Oriental Studs was aaaaaaaaaaaawwwful... they asked me questions on Chinese poetry and art... luckily I'd read a book on chinese art that morning and so managed to blag that question reasonably successfully. Ah, my interviewer was just aggressive though. :-|.
I'd done a couple of years of Chinese at a very basic level before applying... and I'd also been on a few trips to China already which might have helped :P.

Are you applying for 2006 entry?
Reply 7
你好!
yep I am!

Same here, I've been to Japan already once and stayed with a Japanese family. Thankfuly (or sadly looking back) they spoke perfect english cause they lived abroad due to the husban's journalist job. If I am lucky I might actually go again in the summer but I am not too keen on the summer humidity >.<

I am so worried though that the interview will be in Japanese because my spoken japanese is dreadful! I taught most of it myself so; as you can guess; I had no practice speaking properly yet.

I might actually do joint honouers with Chinese. How do you find it? Difficult? Apart from the hanji (&#28450;&#23383;?correct?) I looked at the grammar, and it dosnt seem to bad. But lets first talk about getting in and then we can worry about the small things. ^_^

You are now in china right? (I looked at your blog)
Reply 8
I'm pretty sure that my friend who applied for Japanese with A-level had his interviews in English.

What college are you looking at? There's not lots that do Japanese.
Reply 9
RxB
I'm pretty sure that my friend who applied for Japanese with A-level had his interviews in English.

What college are you looking at? There's not lots that do Japanese.

Selwyn V(^.^)V Just seems to be the best for the course. Next to the faculty. Is a real beuty, well according to the photos I saw. Prof. Borrowing (sp?) head of the faculty is the head of the college. Its small. I have heared people are nice from there and most importantly the food is decent!

Oh yes and they have CherryTrees on the premises.

P.S. Sorry for the bad spelling.
Reply 10
LondonBoy
If so what were your grades, and what offer did you get, thanks.

I just read in another thread of yours that you are planning to study Middle Eastern studies.

Just to let you know, I live in arabia, to be exact Bahrain. So if you have any specific questions about it dont hesitate to ask.

Now that I am at it, You asked if you have chance to get employed with the degree, all I can say is that one of the top managers here in Bahrain for some bank actually studied Oriental Studies at Oxbridge. So there.
Reply 11
Doitsujin
Selwyn V(^.^)V Just seems to be the best for the course. Next to the faculty. Is a real beuty, well according to the photos I saw. Prof. Borrowing (sp?) head of the faculty is the head of the college. Its small. I have heared people are nice from there and most importantly the food is decent!

Oh yes and they have CherryTrees on the premises.

P.S. Sorry for the bad spelling.

Oops. Thought you were applying to Oxford.
So even my point about interviews being in English might not be accurate, so ignore it.
Reply 12
No no. Its still more than valid!

Afterall there will be similarities of the 2 Unis. And anyway I am going to state on my application that speaking is my weak point. ^_~
Reply 13
My interview didn't require me to speak any chinese whatsoever... their course is set up for people with no previous knowledge of the language... Had to do a character recognition test though.

Oh, and it's 'hanzi' rather than 'hanji' :P bit of a mix with 'kanji' there methinks :P.
Reply 14
I've not personally but one of my friends is going to apply for Oriental Studies (she's especially interested in Chinese) at Oxford
x
Reply 15
Tonheuru
My interview didn't require me to speak any chinese whatsoever... their course is set up for people with no previous knowledge of the language... Had to do a character recognition test though.

Oh, and it's 'hanzi' rather than 'hanji' :P bit of a mix with 'kanji' there methinks :P.

me thinks you are correct. But I was sure its hanji...i think its because the zi sound dosnt exit in japanese and only ji is there.

How come you know hirigana? Afterall your sig is &#12392;&#12435;&#12408;&#12358;&#12427;&#12288;&#65327;&#65362;&#12288;&#12488;&#12531;&#12408;&#22770;&#12427;&#65311; :p:

BTW I am in the middle of writting my Personal Statement now. I am so unsure about the writting style!

Latest

Trending

Trending