The Student Room Group

TV license, I don't see how they can legally send round a enforcer to my flat at uni.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Either watch TV and get a license.

If you don't want to pay, don't watch TV.
Reply 41
Mike20491
I'll put a sock in alright. In your mouth so i don't have to listen to you!

Lol i am sure you are going to be a pleasure to live with. Cocky, arrogant, bloody minded and not very bright to boot. They must be lowering standards these days.
Reply 42
Trigger
Enjoy your fine. They do happen. You can't pick and choose what laws and rules you feel like following, you have to pay your bills like a GROWN UP.

This.

But I do think the license people are a punch of *****.

Cameron would never get rid of the license fee - its supporting all the news (public service) programmes at the moment.
Reply 43
sam.hunton
Of course not, but all you need to do is open the door, or they have a look through the window, all they need to see is a TV to prosecute you.

You can own a tv that you just use to watch DVDs and play computer games you know, it just can't be plugged in and receiving a signal or whatever. I dunno how they can tell, but if you really do only use your tv for those reasons, not to watch programmes, you don't need a license.
Reply 44
I used to date a guy that lived in halls, and neither him nor his flatmates paid their tv licence, because apparantly if you live in halls, they can't actually tell if it is you that is watching tv without a licence because of the sheer volume of people in one place.

Having said that, I wouldn't like to risk it, and have always paid mine, even though I rarely watch the BBC. I'd be interested to see what would happen if it was an opt-in service -i.e.you only recieved BBC channels if you paid the licence fee. I wonder if it would keep going.

I also don't quite understand how the licence fee is communist, but there you go.
Reply 45
Mike20491
ALSO I'M NO THEIR THE WHOLE YEAR! SO WHY SHOULD I PAY ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY TWO POUNDS FOR A YEAR WHEN I'M NOT EVEN THERE! I'M ONLY THERE 8 MONTHS SO I SHOULD ONLY PAY TWO THIRDS OF THE PRICE!!!!!!!!

And that is exactly what you do - at the end of the year apply for a refund for June, July and September, and voila you only pay for 3/4 of the year (its quarterly so you cant pay 2/3) :cookie:
Reply 46
km31
And that is exactly what you do - at the end of the year apply for a refund for June, July and September, and voila you only pay for 3/4 of the year (its quarterly so you cant pay 2/3) :cookie:

Lol PWNED.
Reply 47
Simplicity
See I don't see how they could enter your room to check. What legal power have a tv enforcer got to enter your room? none.

Yet I got some gay letter through the post saying that if I don't get a tv licence then a tv enforcer is going to come round to your flat. Another thing it makes me sick that you need to pay to have a tv, what sort of communist crap is this?

I hope when the conservatives come into power they scrap it, but I doubt Cameron has the balls to do it. But, lol I don't really like to be threaten.

P.S. I'm not getting a tv licence and I'm going to watch tv. :mad:
P.P.S. But, lol the BBC. I don't see how its legal to send out basically threatening letters.

David Cameron wont scrap the TV license fee , he will raise the license fee even higher and raise the penalty for not having a license to a life sentance. You have been warned! :woo:
Mike20491
Uhm I don't get a grant, and i'm not a spoilt brat, I'm telling you the facts. I'm only in my halls of residence for 7-8 months. Therefore I should only be paying 2 thirds of the price. Does that make logical sense?
Go without a TV then! Most halls have a communal TV for this very reason.

It comes down to whether you think it's worth spending the money to watch TV. If it is, then buy the thing and quit bitching (you can get a rebate off any outstanding months at the end of the year anyway). If it isn't, then don't bring a TV to halls. It's far from the most essential item, and most students can make do with watching 4oD/BBC iplayer etc. instead of owning a TV.

In 2nd and 3rd year you'll be sharing a house with other students and can split up the cost of the license, so just forgo first year without a TV. Besides, by your own admission you're only at uni 7/8 months of the year, maybe you could save your TV watching for the 4/5 months you're at home.
Reply 49
Trigger
Lol i am sure you are going to be a pleasure to live with. Cocky, arrogant, bloody minded and not very bright to boot. They must be lowering standards these days.

oh the irony :yep:
Reply 50
Do you need to buy a license if you just intend to use your tv for gaming/watching dvds and videos? I won't be using my tv to actually watch freeview or anything?
Reply 51
Tuppenny
I used to date a guy that lived in halls, and neither him nor his flatmates paid their tv licence, because apparantly if you live in halls, they can't actually tell if it is you that is watching tv without a licence because of the sheer volume of people in one place.

Having said that, I wouldn't like to risk it, and have always paid mine, even though I rarely watch the BBC. I'd be interested to see what would happen if it was an opt-in service -i.e.you only recieved BBC channels if you paid the licence fee. I wonder if it would keep going.

I also don't quite understand how the licence fee is communist, but there you go.

yeah that's the thing, how many people would then pay the £100 odd just for access to BBC channels - especially when there's BBC iplayer anyway! I can't remember the last time i watched the BBC...
sam.hunton
Of course not, but all you need to do is open the door, or they have a look through the window, all they need to see is a TV to prosecute you.

Apparently you need a licence even if you don't have a tv but watch on your mobile phone ... dunno how they actually prove you've been viewing programmes on your mobile though lol. Would your ISP hand over logs I wonder?...
Linweth
Do you need to buy a license if you just intend to use your tv for gaming/watching dvds and videos? I won't be using my tv to actually watch freeview or anything?

Nope, you only need a license if you use it to receive a live signal.
Reply 54
scotttb

Lol
Reply 55
scotttb

Another thicko has joined the ranks. Congrats.
Reply 56
Mike20491
Lol

Grow up.
After reading the licensing website, it seems that if I watch TV on my laptop which is not live (so, iPlayer after it's been on TV) and if my laptop is running on battery power, I will not be fined.

Is this true?
Fran Katzenjammer
After reading the licensing website, it seems that if I watch TV on my laptop which is not live (so, iPlayer after it's been on TV) and if my laptop is running on battery power, I will not be fined.

Is this true?

Yes, you don't need a license to watch stuff on iPlayer or 40d (provided it isn't live)...I don't know about the laptop thing though.
Reply 59
km31
yeah that's the thing, how many people would then pay the £100 odd just for access to BBC channels - especially when there's BBC iplayer anyway! I can't remember the last time i watched the BBC...

:yep: Make it like UKTV Gold or something, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people were still willing to pay the licence to watch BBC channels, but it would take the financial pressure off of students and those on low incomes. Obviously it's a bit of a simplistic idea because it doesn't include things like BBC radio, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending