The Student Room Group

TV license, I don't see how they can legally send round a enforcer to my flat at uni.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Mike20491
Lol

Actually just to add, you are as bad as a benefit scrounger. Why the hell should i pay my license for you to not bother (yes i know apparently daddy is paying it but this goes to all the knob heads who think they are exempt). Why should i have enter into normal society and pay what is expected and you shouldn't "because you are a student" If everyone paid the damn license fee it would be cheaper anyway.
it makes me sick that you need to pay to have a tv, what sort of communist crap is this?

Totally agree. Maybe if the BBC was actually politically neutral as they say... well, I was watching a BBC news programme before and their host (rory something) was taking the piss out of Gordon and Labour. Neutral my arse.
Trigger
Oh you can **** right off with that. You think i can afford on my crappy wage? Just because you are a student it does not then turn into a get out of jail free card. Stop being a cry baby and buy the damn license or go without. That is what being an adult is about.

This.

I actually didn't realise there were so many cretins on TSR. If you can't afford it, because you didn't have the brain to get a job before university to save up for things like this, then don't bring the bloody TV and get a hobby. Being poor doesn't entitle you to whatever you like.

Save up, or set aside £2.50 a week from your student loan (buy one less pint a week :rolleyes:) to pay for the licence, OR don't watch it. You're not entitled to be above the law because you CHOSE to go into higher education when you don't have any cash to spare.

USE YOUR GODDAMN BRAINS. Jeez.
Reply 63
Mike20491
Ok. :smile:

Well done for finally accepting you are wrong. Phew that was hard but it is my mission to re-educate the teenagers who think they know everything and feel entitled to have all but contribute nothing.
Reply 64
jesus stop complaining -_- seriously.
We used to get those last year even though no one was watching TV in our flat. Needless to say they went straight into trash.
They can't come in. If they can't see the TV (on, showing live TV) through your window, they'll do nothing but continue sending letters. "The Magic Van" doesn't exist, by the way.

Anyway, as a side issue, I reckon the TV license fee should be waived for students, the same way council tax is. Or at least a reduced rate while in Uni halls. £140 a year IS a bit much to ask from one lone student. It's not so bad once you move out of halls into shared accom and can split it.

Personally, I watched TV through a TV tuner on my PC all through 1st year in halls, and never even received a letter.
Reply 67
I think it's pretty disgraceful the way trigger and lucinda have talked in this discussion. The constant argument that we should, as students, should buy one less pint a week is tired, ignorant and playing to a stereotype that for many students jsut doesn't exist. Just buy one less pint a week, or put aside money from drinking ignores the fact many students DO struggle at university, and to imply that they waste money on drinking is, as i've said, playing to a massively over-portrayed stereotype
Trigger
If everyone paid the damn license fee it would be cheaper anyway.

Naive.

I bet you use iTunes instead of LimeWire... don't you...
Reply 69
NW86
I think it's pretty disgraceful the way trigger and lucinda have talked in this discussion. The constant argument that we should, as students, should buy one less pint a week is tired, ignorant and playing to a stereotype that for many students jsut doesn't exist. Just buy one less pint a week, or put aside money from drinking ignores the fact many students DO struggle at university, and to imply that they waste money on drinking is, as i've said, playing to a massively over-portrayed stereotype

I was a student and i paid my licence fee. Next.
Reply 70
Bhumbauze
Naive.

I bet you use iTunes instead of LimeWire... don't you...

I don't have an Ipod, i can't have one because i have to budget to pay bills. I use spotify mostly tbh.
Reply 71
Trigger

what a wonderfully weak response. I'm glad to hear that the situation you found yourself in at university is the same for all students around the country.
Reply 72
NW86
what a wonderfully weak response. I'm glad to hear that the situation you found yourself in at university is the same for all students around the country.

Well as hard as it is putting a little money aside to pay for a monthly DD that was around a tenner i managed it. Like a lot of people have said. If you don't want to pay for the license, don't have a tv. Why should you get away with it? I haven't said once that i agree with the price they charge and i know times are hard for young people to find work atm but if you were that bothered you would have been scrubbing toilets, serving burgers and stacking shelves once a week to try and get some money together. It's taken me a year to find a decent F/T job so i have worked, at one point, 3 part time jobs to make rent and bills. Life is tough and the sooner you get that the better.
Reply 73
NW86

Surely the point is if you are struggling with money, and can't afford a TV license, don't watch TV. Just like if you can't afford car insurance don't buy a car, if you can't afford high electricity bills don't sit with your lights on all day and leave all your chargers plugged in. If you can't afford something, then you learn to do without.
Trigger

So because you're told to do something, and you do it, that makes it the morally right thing to do? Well... hooray for unquestioning subservience!

Not paying for a TV licence is NOT a crime by the way... it's a civil issue, not a criminal one. The TV licensing people throw their (imaginary) muscle around like a governmental branch, and send misleading information to people to make them believe such. That sort of threatening behaviour is what should be banned.
Reply 75
@ Trigger: Jeez, calm down a bit, by the nature of your posts one could easily conclude that you're an associate of the BBC/TV Licensing or something of the kind :rolleyes:
Reply 76
Bhumbauze
So because you're told to do something, and you do it, that makes it the morally right thing to do? Well... hooray for unquestioning subservience!

Not paying for a TV licence is NOT a crime by the way... it's a civil issue, not a criminal one. The TV licensing people throw their (imaginary) muscle around like a governmental branch, and send misleading information to people to make them believe such. That sort of threatening behaviour is what should be banned.

:yawn: what can i say, i'm a stickler for a totalitarian regime me. Of course i don't but i would rather pay the fee and avoid being bothered then not pay the fee and then have to stand there in court and say "well i'm sorry sir but i just didn't think as someone on a low income i should have to pay it". (Of course i know most of these things don't end up in court). Stuff it just go for the easy option i say. If i feel i ahve been unfairly treated i'l stand up for myself (I am still locked in battle with the council over their dumbass tax stuff which i wont go into).
Trigger
Well as hard as it is putting a little money aside to pay for a monthly DD that was around a tenner i managed it. Like a lot of people have said. If you don't want to pay for the license, don't have a tv. Why should you get away with it? I haven't said once that i agree with the price they charge and i know times are hard for young people to find work atm but if you were that bothered you would have been scrubbing toilets, serving burgers and stacking shelves once a week to try and get some money together. It's taken me a year to find a decent F/T job so i have worked, at one point, 3 part time jobs to make rent and bills. Life is tough and the sooner you get that the better.

What a ridiculous standpoint. You agree that they charge too much but think "yo0u should just pay it anyway because everyone has to". :s-smilie:. It's that sort of attitude that ALLOWS them to charge so much... people thinking "Wow that's a bit steep, but if they say I have to pay, I guess I have to pay." There's absolutely nothing wrong with protesting against something you think should be abolished, in whichever way you see fit.
Reply 78
rowzee
@ Trigger: Jeez, calm down a bit, by the nature of your posts one could easily conclude that you're an associate of the BBC/TV Licensing or something of the kind :rolleyes:

Lol bless, my beef isn't with the BBC it's with people deciding they don't have to do something because they don't like it, feeling entitled to all and contributing nothing. Such is the state of the UK today :emo:
Trigger
:yawn: what can i say, i'm a stickler for a totalitarian regime me. Of course i don't but i would rather pay the fee and avoid being bothered then not pay the fee and then have to stand there in court and say "well i'm sorry sir but i just didn't think as someone on a low income i should have to pay it". (Of course i know most of these things don't end up in court). Stuff it just go for the easy option i say. If i feel i ahve been unfairly treated i'l stand up for myself (I am still locked in battle with the council over their dumbass tax stuff which i wont go into).

Going for the easy option is completely your choice, but I don't see how that translates into wanting to force everyone else to do it your way and "take the easy option". There are plenty of people who are happy to take on whatever "bother" comes their way, and just because YOU can't be arsed with it, doesn't make them wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending