The Student Room Group

TV license, I don't see how they can legally send round a enforcer to my flat at uni.

See I don't see how they could enter your room to check. What legal power have a tv enforcer got to enter your room? none.

Yet I got some gay letter through the post saying that if I don't get a tv licence then a tv enforcer is going to come round to your flat. Another thing it makes me sick that you need to pay to have a tv, what sort of communist crap is this?

I hope when the conservatives come into power they scrap it, but I doubt Cameron has the balls to do it. But, lol I don't really like to be threaten.

P.S. I'm not getting a tv licence and I'm going to watch tv. :mad:
P.P.S. But, lol the BBC. I don't see how its legal to send out basically threatening letters.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I had many of those letters and no enforcer. They have no legal power to enter your property. If they do turn up there is no reason you have to let them in.
Reply 2
Of course not, but all you need to do is open the door, or they have a look through the window, all they need to see is a TV to prosecute you.
Reply 3
Enjoy your fine. They do happen. You can't pick and choose what laws and rules you feel like following, you have to pay your bills like a GROWN UP.
Reply 4
They sometimes turn up, you have no obligation to let them in. However, (not 100% about this, but moderately sure) they can then get a warrant to enter your house, although I don't think they could get that unless they actually had evidence you were watching tv, which would be fairly difficult to get, particularly in a student hall, where a lot of people would be watching TV with a license. I wouldn't worry personally, I doubt they'd bother.
Reply 5
Simplicity
See I don't see how they could enter your room to check. What legal power have a tv enforcer got to enter your room? none.

Yet I got some gay letter through the post saying that if I don't get a tv licence then a tv enforcer is going to come round to your flat. Another thing it makes me sick that you need to pay to have a tv, what sort of communist crap is this?

I hope when the conservatives come into power they scrap it, but I doubt Cameron has the balls to do it. But, lol I don't really like to be threaten.

P.S. I'm not getting a tv licence and I'm going to watch tv. :mad:
P.P.S. But, lol the BBC. I don't see how its legal to send out basically threatening letters.

You recieved a letter that only fancies letters of the same sex? :eek: That is amazing. Did it tell you? Have you accepted the letter for who it truly is or are you having trouble? Perhaps a post in H&R can help you and your letter truly understand each other?
Reply 6
Nick_000
You received a letter that only fancies letters of the same sex? :eek: That is amazing. Did it tell you? Have you accepted the letter for who it truly is or are you having trouble? Perhaps a post in H&R can help you and your letter truly understand each other?

:biggrin:
Reply 7
This is Reue's fantastic guide to TV Licensing

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=598313

You do not have to let an inspector into your house without a warrant.
Reply 8
Why create the hassle? Just buy a freaking licence :dontknow:
Reply 9
All the information you need is here: http://www.bbctvlicence.com/
I bought a license when I was at halls and I expect you to do the same.
Reply 11
http://www.bbctvlicence.com/

thats always a fun place to visit and read up on
Just don't let them in, unless they have a warrant of course :wink:
Reply 13
Trigger
Why create the hassle? Just buy a freaking licence :dontknow:

Or even better, just don't bring a TV.
There's really very little need for them in this day and age tbh :colonhash:
Reply 14
sam.hunton
Of course not, but all you need to do is open the door, or they have a look through the window, all they need to see is a TV to prosecute you.

Not true at all. The BBC don't own the rights to each and every television set in Britain; it's the receiving of broadcasts they want to force you to pay for. If you own a television set and the enforcers cannot prove that you have been receiving broadcasts (e.g. you have it connected to a games console but you don't have a usable aerial connection, or the aerial is in the living-room while the television is set up in the bedroom) they are powerless. The one thing you do need to be very, very careful about are the detection vans - they can detect television sets which are switched on and receiving a broadcast simply by driving up and down your street. Before my father married my mother - while he was living alone - he didn't bother with a television set, just had a radio, and he was subjected to any number of threatening and abusive letters from the BBC. Finally, they did send a van out late one night (and of course couldn't pick anything up).

I don't like the BBC or their Spetsnaz any more than you, and I certainly don't intend to be bullied into paying a license fee while I am on a student budget, but I personally wouldn't try to evade them and watch television anyway, either. You could make things very difficult for yourself if you were to get caught - so whatever you do decide to do, please be careful.
Reply 15
fire2burn
Just don't let them in, unless they have a warrant of course :wink:

So what happens when they come back with their warrant and fine? Not so cocky then are you.
Reply 16
Nick_000
You recieved a letter that only fancies letters of the same sex? :eek: That is amazing. Did it tell you? Have you accepted the letter for who it truly is or are you having trouble? Perhaps a post in H&R can help you and your letter truly understand each other?

this =D

and lol, isnt writing on a public-accessed website that you are going to watch T.V in halls and not get a license evidence enough?
Employers check peoples facebooks so you can never be sure!
watch out! they might be pointing their super-ultra-hi-tech detection devices at your room right now!!!
Reply 18
sam.hunton

wrong. The ownership of a television is not what you need a licence for. TV licencing themselves say that "You must be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV." thus the licence is for watching programmes as they are broadcast. After all a TV which is not plugged into an aerial is just a screen to show images much the same as a PC monitor or a projector. Thus you are perfectly entitled to own a TV without a licence as long as you don't attach an aerial and only use it to watch movies from dvds etc.

On the other hand the OP is a dick (and incredibly immature judging by the language of his post). The TV licence fee pays for many things including BBC radio (much of the best broadcasting around IMO), BBC tv (again much high quality broadcasting- eg. the proms last night and the wire), and the actual broadcasting of TV signals without which it would be impossible to watch any terrestial TV. Thus to watch tv without is a ridiculous and petty act.
Reply 19
chidona
Or even better, just don't bring a TV.
There's really very little need for them in this day and age tbh :colonhash:

You still need a license to watch tv on your computer though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending