The Student Room Group

x2 simultaneous DSA claims

I just wondered if anybody else has experience of having x2 separate DSA claims?

I already have an open claim for DSA related to an ongoing disability, however, due to a recent accident I need some further support at uni.

When I went to my uni disability service to ask them if my LEA could fund some more support and they said my LEA might not let me open x2 separate claims (and they're currently looking into it).

Has anyone else had experience of anything like this?
Reply 1
I take it you already had your original needs assessment?
Reply 2
River85
I take it you already had your original needs assessment?

yep...a couple of years ago
Reply 3
J.B.
yep...a couple of years ago

I don't think you need to make a seperate claim. You've had a change of circumstance and should be fine with just a second needs assessment to identify any further support you need. But two claims isn't necessary (or, as far as I'm aware, possible).
Reply 4
As River85 says, you need further advice from the organisation who assessed you if your needs have changed.

If it is an accident that has caused issues that you will recover from, then I don't know how they treat that...if your disability has become more severe, then there shouldn't be an issue (unless you've used all the DSA money, in which case you may be able to get support via your University's ALF/hardship funds). http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/EducationAndTraining/HigherEducation/DG_070188
If the accident is going to have a long term effect, then you should be able to have another needs assessment for a change of needs.

You may have problems if the effects of the accident are going to be reasonably short term, as DSA is to cover disabilities - so a long term problem.

Basically, if your new problem qualifies for DSA then any further needs can be added to those you've already got. If it doesn't, then DSA won't help you and you'll need to look else where like Access to Learning.
Reply 6
Indeed, if it's going to affect your ability to study, then a top-up needs assessment would be best.

Latest