The Student Room Group

Having a hard time getting it right!

1.) a car slows down from 20m/s to rest in a distance of 85m. what was its acceleration, assumed constant?

2.) In coming to a stop, a car leaves skid marks 80m long on the highway. Assuming a deceleration of 7.00m/s^2, estimate the speed of the car just before breaking.

3.) a person driving her car at 50km/h approaches an intersection just as the traffic light turns yellow. She knows that the yellow light lasts only 2.0s before turning to red, and she is 30m away from the near side of the intersection. should she try to stop, or should she make a run for it? The intersection is 15m wide. Her car's maximum deceleration is -6.0m/s^2 whereas it can accelerate from 50km/h to 70km/h in 6.0s. Ignore the length of her car and her reaction time.
I can't really be bothering working these out but I'll point you in the right direction:
1) UVSA so (v2u2)÷(2s)=a(v^2-u^2)\div(2s) = a
2) UVSA so v22as=u2v^2 - 2as=u^2
3) I just cannot be bothered thinking about. Draw a picture :smile:
dsolmon
1.) a car slows down from 20m/s to rest in a distance of 85m. what was its acceleration, assumed constant?

2.) In coming to a stop, a car leaves skid marks 80m long on the highway. Assuming a deceleration of 7.00m/s^2, estimate the speed of the car just before breaking.

3.) a person driving her car at 50km/h approaches an intersection just as the traffic light turns yellow. She knows that the yellow light lasts only 2.0s before turning to red, and she is 30m away from the near side of the intersection. should she try to stop, or should she make a run for it? The intersection is 15m wide. Her car's maximum deceleration is -6.0m/s^2 whereas it can accelerate from 50km/h to 70km/h in 6.0s. Ignore the length of her car and her reaction time.

ffs, they're not hard! do it yourself. where's your working for starters? you've just given us problems, you clearly haven't thought about them.
Reply 3
sil3nt_cha0s
ffs, they're not hard! do it yourself. where's your working for starters? you've just given us problems, you clearly haven't thought about them.

okay, well to be more detailed... I know what formulas to use but im not understanding what numbers are substituted in for A, S, V, and U.
Reply 4
Ok.

Firstly, ms2ms-^2 is always an acceleration whereas m/s is a speed.

Use "Vusta" or "Vuxta" (s and x are the same).

V= The final velocity.
U= The Initial velocity.
S/X = Displacement from the starting point.
T = Time
A = acceleration.

To solve one problem, you usually need three known quantities. However, sometimes, you may need to use simultaneous equations but that is for more complex problems.

For number 1), the initial velocity is 20 and the final velocity is zero (rest). Its displacement is 85. You have three unknowns and therefore you can use one of the kinematic equations.

Latest