The Student Room Group

Composition

Does anyone have any tips/guides/tutorials on how to compose decent music - i need two 1:30 pieces for my higher music and im not the best at composing

Also what tools are good, Sibelius is okay but having to keep pressing play everytime you want to listen annoys me, i like to hear it as i input the notes and looping so the new notes add to it so i get a sense of it flowing.

Thanks
Reply 1
Catkill
Does anyone have any tips/guides/tutorials on how to compose decent music - i need two 1:30 pieces for my higher music and im not the best at composing

Also what tools are good, Sibelius is okay but having to keep pressing play everytime you want to listen annoys me, i like to hear it as i input the notes and looping so the new notes add to it so i get a sense of it flowing.

Thanks

Isn't it 2 1min pieces for higher?
Reply 2
Opps my mistake, still need help :smile:
Reply 3
Yeah it's 1 min.

It depends what instrument you're composing for, really. If it's something like solo guitar/piano then you should just sit down and play away, but otherwise Sibelius is really the way to go. It becomes more fluid as you get used to it.
Reply 4
eh, an easier composition would be a piece for piano and another instrument (like flute/oboe/violin). Compose a basic enough 8 bar melody, which can be used as a theme, and then vary it (augmentation, retrograde, diminution etc.) for the next 8 bars and so on so it would be like a theme and variations piece. The piano part can just be doing something basic like a vamp but change that a little so the bass line is doing something like a walking bass insead of root notes with the chords with the right hand.
You had to do two compositions for higher? I only did one. It was like 2 minutes and was a ground bass thing. We used Cubase SX3.
Reply 6
Sibelius.... :love:

I didnt do higher music, but I'd say if at all possible do as much of the composition on an actual instument, then use what ever program to write it out, check the different bits fit together how you imagined and generally polish it up.
Come up with a few chord patterns, and just see what you come up with melody wise with that.

Latest

Trending

Trending