The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Ravc?

I was just wondering if there's anyone else out there who's planning to join the army as a vet? I'm applying to vet school this year then I'm intending to get a bursary from the army if all goes to plan :biggrin:
So is it just me?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldn't want to be in the army, so no not for me. But good luck anyway.
ClaireW2708
I was just wondering if there's anyone else out there who's planning to join the army as a vet?

It's something I've thought about but graduation is pretty far off, I'll come to a decision when the time comes.

ClaireW2708
I'm applying to vet school this year then I'm intending to get a bursary from the army if all goes to plan :biggrin:

The small bursary they give (~£1k a year) ties you in to something like a 6 year minimum service (a long time if you finally decide it isn't for you) and if you fail selection you have to pay it back anyway - in my eyes it isn't worth it.
Reply 3
Oh god, no. I'm too much of a dirty hippie. But if it's your thing, good luck with it :tongue:
Really Claire? You never told me that!!!

I have worked with a vet who recently finished his service with the army. Sounds like he really enjoyed it because they don't have to worry about insurance or quit treatment because of finances.

Certainly not for me though, mostly just horses and dogs.
ch0c0h01ic
The small bursary they give (~£1k a year) ties you in to something like a 6 year minimum service (a long time if you finally decide it isn't for you) and if you fail selection you have to pay it back anyway - in my eyes it isn't worth it.

Fair enough.
But..
You can't fail selection like that. You go through the selection process before you can be awarded the bursary and you only 'fail' afterwards if you don't graduate. The bursary ties you to a 4 year SSC.
Also, for the final 3 years of your course there are a few RAVC Cadetships, for which you are paid a [smallish] salary, book allowance and your tuition fees are paid. This requires minimum service of 6 years. It is a big commitment but I think its probably the right thing for me, and not just for the money! I won't be applying for it unil after 1st year though, just to make sure.

For me the benefits are:

Job security on graduation
The 'military lifestyle' - I've grown up with it and it definitely suits me
Guaranteed variety in the job - not in the animals you tear but in the situations you're in.
Opportunities to work abroad, especially in Germany which I am very keen on.
Good pay grade etc.

Opposed to:

Your are tied to it for 4/6 years.
Only treating horses & dogs
Restraints of the lifestyle.

Not for everyone I agree :biggrin:

Talon19921992

I'm sorry :biggrin: I don't really talk about me all that much and I guess it never came up. Plus I didn't make my mind up til after Vetsim.
My knowledge is a bit sketch on this given that all I know is from an RCVS careers seminar several years ago so bear with me. If you can point me to sources it would be much appreciated but as it is there is relatively little information out there.

ClaireW2708
Fair enough.
But..
You can't fail selection like that. You go through the selection process before you can be awarded the bursary and you only 'fail' afterwards if you don't graduate.

...or fail training, or fail your medical, etc.

ClaireW2708
The bursary ties you to a 4 year SSC.

Their website says 5 for bursaries.

ClaireW2708
Also, for the final 3 years of your course there are a few RAVC Cadetships, for which you are paid a [smallish] salary, book allowance and your tuition fees are paid. This requires minimum service of 6 years.

I can't find any mention of this.
Reply 7
the army is all a load of **** i dont no why anyone wud put themselbves through it!
Reply 8
Just a quick question, 'cause I know bugger all about the vet corps, to be honest. I imagine that for the majority of the time, you're going to be behind the lines, treating animals in a secure environment etc.
But what happens if we reached full-scale war within your contracted time. Like, to the point that civvies were being enlisted by default and that (I know it's unlikey, highly hypothetical, but go with me here) - would the vet corps then get sent to the front-line, to fight alongside regular infantry and that? If so, does that not put you off? It's not on your cons list or anything that's all, which made me curious.
I mean, I could handle the rigid lifestyle and all that. But the fact that I would have to go through combat training and stuff, and if there were that possibility of having to actually kill people, don't reckon I could do it. One, because of my morals, and two, 'cause I'm just too much of a wimp.
Reply 9
emilyyy

I mean, I could handle the rigid lifestyle and all that. But the fact that I would have to go through combat training and stuff, and if there were that possibility of having to actually kill people, don't reckon I could do it. One, because of my morals, and two, 'cause I'm just too much of a wimp.

Bout time you admitted it, really.

Spoiler

In times of war when everything is chaotic and bits of people are flying everywhere don't vets help the medics out?
Reply 10
Dissey
Bout time you admitted it, really.

Spoiler

:wink:
emilyyy
Just a quick question, 'cause I know bugger all about the vet corps, to be honest. I imagine that for the majority of the time, you're going to be behind the lines, treating animals in a secure environment etc.
But what happens if we reached full-scale war within your contracted time. Like, to the point that civvies were being enlisted by default and that (I know it's unlikey, highly hypothetical, but go with me here) - would the vet corps then get sent to the front-line, to fight alongside regular infantry and that? If so, does that not put you off? It's not on your cons list or anything that's all, which made me curious.

Given the amount of money it costs to train veterinary surgeons I very much doubt they'll see much if any front-line action, just like most surgeons aren't sent out to the front line. It's cheaper to train up soldiers as 'medics' to stabilise the patient until they get back to a more secure area with better medical facilities.

If you don't want to see front-line action you're better off becoming a surgeon than waiting to be conscripted:p:

emilyyy

Some people can handle it, some can't, just like some people can stomach being a vet and some can't. It's all down to the person.

Personally if someone is trying to kill me I'm going to do everything within my power to stay alive, that may mean swallowing my pride and running away or it could mean mean seriously injuring or killing someone.
Reply 12
ch0c0h01ic
Given the amount of money it costs to train veterinary surgeons I very much doubt they'll see much if any front-line action, just like most surgeons aren't sent out to the front line. It's cheaper to train up soldiers as 'medics' to stabilise the patient until they get back to a more secure area with better medical facilities.

If you don't want to see front-line action you're better off becoming a surgeon than waiting to be conscripted:p:

That's what I assumed. It's like all the kids in uni, funded by the forces, who'll be coming out as officers. Ordinary civvies get consigned before they do. I just wanted a definitive answer, really. I was curious.

ch0c0h01ic
Some people can handle it, some can't, just like some people can stomach being a vet and some can't. It's all down to the person.

I'm aware of that :wink:
Reply 13
doesnt everyone in the army have to go through the same training whatever u do?!
one of my mates is a chef but he had to do FULL army training so that if he was neeeded he can be used?!
im so glad he isnt on the frontline i cudnt handle it.
I guess some people need to be army vets, they need everything they can out there i just wouldnt be able to do it purely because i dont beleive in the war and i dont want to get involved but im up for helping anyone out who wishes to do it! i do have behind teh scene knowledge of the army though and it truly has put me off for life and if any of my friends are tempted i wud do anything to stop them!
Im doing a skydive for help the heroes, well for my friends memorial fund, i cant wait to start getting money in :smile:
Reply 14
Hmm well before this thread turns into a political conversation about whether the war in the middle east is a good idea or not i would just like to say the army sponshorship sounds good in the fact that it lowers your student debts somewhat.
However i can see a number of drawbacks to it:
1. Obviously you will be in the army for a certain amount of time and if you really want to go into a different branch of the vet world after uni can be restrictive.
2. The other thing about oppurtunities to travel: I assume you will be working in the UK most of the time the only sort of animals that i can think commonly serve abroad in combat situations are most likely to be dogs for bomb and drug detection(please correct if i am wrong).Moreover the places you will be travelling probarly won't be safe for you to go have a nice walk out of the army base without fear of kidnap outside of europe.

Oh and good luck rachhy with your charity fund raising nice to see:yep:
Reply 15
emilyyy
That's what I assumed. It's like all the kids in uni, funded by the forces, who'll be coming out as officers. Ordinary civvies get consigned before they do. I just wanted a definitive answer, really. I was curious.

You wouldn't be fighting with the infantry, as you wouldn't be trained to do that - but nothing to stop you being very close to the front line. All would depend where you were needed. Firstly you'd be an army officer, a vet surgeon second - if that makes sense! You'd go through all necessary training.

I looked into it, but they told me I would be too old when I graduated :mad:
I spoke to an army vet and she said she was a soldier first, a vet second and that put me off.
Reply 17
Yeah I've been told by all my friends in the army that no matter what they're doing in the army, that sentence applied. Ie someone in the medic bit, whatever it's called, is a "soldier first, medic second". Same for all bits.
ch0c0h01ic
My knowledge is a bit sketch on this given that all I know is from an RCVS careers seminar several years ago so bear with me. If you can point me to sources it would be much appreciated but as it is there is relatively little information out there.

...or fail training, or fail your medical, etc.
Ah, fair play, you're right here.

Their website says 5 for bursaries.
Really? I didn't know that. I got all my information from the pack they sent me.

I can't find any mention of this.

Again, this is from my info pack which gives the exact details of it all. Hopefully I'll find out more on the visit day.
Wow, there's a lot more response to this than I anticipated!
Northern
2. The other thing about oppurtunities to travel: I assume you will be working in the UK most of the time the only sort of animals that i can think commonly serve abroad in combat situations are most likely to be dogs for bomb and drug detection(please correct if i am wrong).

Actually, although a lot of the Corps is based in the UK,a large proportion is at Sennelager in Germany. Whcih majorly appeals to me. But yes, in some instances its not gonna be nice stroll in the park areas.

Dissey
In times of war when everything is chaotic and bits of people are flying everywhere don't vets help the medics out?
Indded :smile: But its a pretty major war then, and normally there are enough medics around.

emilyyy

Well in that situation, I imagine you're treated the same as other largely non-front line troops. If you're badly needed you go, but you'll probably be one of the last to be sent. Its a fair point, I don't actually know for sure and its worth finding out :smile: Mostly you are behind the lines, occasionally its front line stuff. Fairly often the vets are in charge of food supply lines, if you can believe that :smile: And they help with 'Hearts & minds' style stuff, by treating civilian pets. [Sorry for the Vietnam wording!]

Oh, and everyone is right. Basically, you are a soldier, then a vet. But you only have 4 weeks at Sandhurst,so they have to be pretty desperate to use you as a pure soldier!
I don't know how I'll handle the 'killing people' aspect, if it comes to that. If its me or them, lets face it, I'll do everything in my power to make sure its me thats going home in one piece. But I can't say I'd find it easy.

And for the record, I don't agree with Iraq/Afghanistan either. However, I have immense respect for our troops who and doing thier utmost in dangerous situations they may not support the motives behind. I'm not doing it for the wars we're in, but for the animals who deserve the best care available.

Latest

Trending

Trending