The Student Room Group

MEng vs BEng

Before getting frustrated I know the difference between them :p: , but I have a question regarding the admission into either a MEng or BEng

First is it really easier to get into a BEng degree than to do into a MEng one? I mean most universities in their entry requirements usually have the typical offer 'easier' for BEng than MEng.

My second question, assuming I have applied to do BEng and then decided to extend my degree into a MEng, which I will 'decide' during the first 2 years as those usually are common for MEng and BEng, would they accept that or do I need to have applied from the beginning of the course for a MEng?

Thanks in forward :smile:
Reply 1
Generally the entry requirements for BEng are made slightly lower than MEng, but that shouldn't really be a factor in your decision because you will know what you are capable of acheiving and most MEng courses ask for the same entry requirements as other undergraduate courses.

As for continuing BEng to MEng, this is definitely possible after you have done BEng because the first 2 years of the course will be the same, so you don't have to do it from the beginning. For me the decision was based on finance. I knew I was capable of getting the slightly higher grades to start MEng from the start (which really isn't much higher, if different at all) and it works out more financially if you start with BEng. It really doesn't matter too much what you start with, I just think personally that you will benefit more overall by starting with MEng rather than BEng. Also just to add, you will pretty much have to do MEng because most careers in Engineering require that you have an MEng.
Reply 2
el1iot
Generally the entry requirements for BEng are made slightly lower than MEng, but that shouldn't really be a factor in your decision because you will know what you are capable of acheiving and most MEng courses ask for the same entry requirements as other undergraduate courses.

As for continuing BEng to MEng, this is definitely possible after you have done BEng because the first 2 years of the course will be the same, so you don't have to do it from the beginning. For me the decision was based on finance. I knew I was capable of getting the slightly higher grades to start MEng from the start (which really isn't much higher, if different at all) and it works out more financially if you start with BEng. It really doesn't matter too much what you start with, I just think personally that you will benefit more overall by starting with MEng rather than BEng. Also just to add, you will pretty much have to do MEng because most careers in Engineering require that you have an MEng.

Thanks for the reply.
You said it is overall better for me to start with MEng, but you didn't really explain why. That or I didn't quite get what you're trying to say.

Anyways, what I'm trying to do is apply for BEng and not risk slightly missing my offer in case something happens, and then simply change to MEng during the course. I assume this is completely possible and there's nothing that may prevent this from being possible, right?
mahfood1990
You said it is overall better for me to start with MEng, but you didn't really explain why. That or I didn't quite get what you're trying to say.

If you enter at BEng and decide you want to switch to MEng you will need to prove you are capable. That usually means having grades good enough by their standards to merit it (I suspect 2:1 level would be normal). You'll need to make a strong case but it's not uncommon, it's just less hassle if you went for MEng initially.

Unsure about that last "insurance" point...it's your call!
Reply 4
mahfood1990
Thanks for the reply.

Anyways, what I'm trying to do is apply for BEng and not risk slightly missing my offer in case something happens, and then simply change to MEng during the course. I assume this is completely possible and there's nothing that may prevent this from being possible, right?

It can be tougher to switch at some unis and others run split courses from first year. The main thing is the length of the course and also whether you want to do engineering or not (MEng is recognised as preferable).

My worry is that you will have to bring yourself to interview and justify it. Turning around and saying that the reason you chose BEng is because you wanted easier entrance grades shows a dismissive attitude to the degree and the profession. Not the kind of image that you want to project. Another issue is that some unis, seeing good grades and the BEng app might not appreciate becoming your Insurance (they get given three days notice of whether you're coming and they have to accommodate you regardless) and may decide to ditch you.

MEng is the recognised route. Having applied through BEng (because of low grades) it is very tough to get to MEng.
Reply 5
The point I was trying to make is that if you intend on becoming a proffesional engineer, you will require an MEng, which is more difficult to obtain if you start with BEng rather than MEng. I also believe that it makes more sense financially to start with MEng.

Latest