The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi mgarthwaite. Can I ask how you get the refererences? I can imagine that a reference from a tutor is based only on the academic performance since it is unlikely that the tutor knows one personal, right? Can I also ask what your final grade is?

Thanks for any help
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Hi mgarthwaite. Can I ask how you get the refererences? I can imagine that a reference from a tutor is based only on the academic performance since it is unlikely that the tutor knows one personal, right? Can I also ask what your final grade is?

Thanks for any help

I asked my last 2 tutors for a personal reference, I asked them before I put their names down of course.

LSE gave me a conditional offer but because of the strange academic year that the OU has, ends in October I had not graduated when I started at LSE, they effectively gave me an unconditional offer. I went on to get a 2.1.

At LSE I got a merit, which is the same as a 2.1.

All the talk here about named and non named seems a little odd to me, clearly if the post grad uni wants a transcript, which makes sense (it was not required when I applied in 2004) then they can clearly see the quality of the candidates. Most universities will not let you do more level 3 courses, this clearly sets the OU apart. Named or un named a degree is a degree and they are equal IMHO.

Martin.
mgarthwaite1330
I asked my last 2 tutors for a personal reference, I asked them before I put their names down of course.

LSE gave me a conditional offer but because of the strange academic year that the OU has, ends in October I had not graduated when I started at LSE, they effectively gave me an unconditional offer. I went on to get a 2.1.

At LSE I got a merit, which is the same as a 2.1.

All the talk here about named and non named seems a little odd to me, clearly if the post grad uni wants a transcript, which makes sense (it was not required when I applied in 2004) then they can clearly see the quality of the candidates. Most universities will not let you do more level 3 courses, this clearly sets the OU apart. Named or un named a degree is a degree and they are equal IMHO.

Martin.

From a uni point of view of course that is the case but if they were to go straight into the job hunt then it's going to be people skim reading CVs who see a degree name and may not realise that they are equal. It is a cynical approach admittedly and a moot point if you are going on to post grad study, but there you go.

Letting you start in the same year as you finish is rather good of LSE though, having to wait until the following year would be a pain and a half.

Latest