The Student Room Group

College is really screwing me over

I haven't found this sub-forum to be much help but I feel the need to rant.

I want to do Engineering next year in Uni. So i looked for an Access to Engineering near me. There is only one college in a different part of London. It would take me about an hour and half to get there but manageable. When I got in they decided to put me in a waiting list for the second class. I was meant to know my status by Friday. No one at the college bothered to call me. The number they gave me to call them weren't working. It took me a while to get their proper number and surprise surprise. Not enough people in the waiting list to warrant a second class so they took some people from the waiting list (there were only 4 of us) and put them in the first class. Has luck would have it I wasn't one of them. Then they tell me to call them on 14th to see if there are spaces available since in Access there are always people getting kicked out. Phone problem again on their part. I end up talking to some lady and she tells me to call them back on 25th when they were definitely kick people out. I said all right.

Then today I had a better Idea. Why don't they move me to Access to Science and I can make up the maths by studying it privately. My next door neighbor/family friend is a maths teacher. I would have to be mental to lose this opportunity. I call them up and surprise surprise they didn't pick the phone up. I was given a new number to call and a opening hour window that is really short (10-12).

I'm still going to try with them. If they **** around with me. I'll just go and A-levels privately this year. I'm not going to let this college **** around with me and have me waste a whole year.
Reply 1
My other Idea was to just to do A-Level Maths and work hard at getting 120 UCAS points. Then apply to an Engineering Foundation year course. After doing that progress to a normal course.
Reply 2
Is there anywhere you can do something like a HND in Engineering? Sometimes having a HND gives you direct access to the second year of a degree - at least I think it used to.
I feel your pain right now with college.
They don't actually care about anyone.
Reply 4
I've looked around and the vast majority of times colleges put Engineering in the title of their course it's either about constructions,electronics or something to do with cars. :rolleyes:

It took me a long time to find this course where I would have learnt the right combination of Mathematics and Physics to go on to Uni. Now I have to do it myself. There is a chance I'll can go in but the fact that they so far kept jerking me around doesn't give me much hope.
Reply 5
I was really pissed off this morning so I went to the college early. I turned up really early before the enrolment so I had to find ways to kill time. An advice for everyone. The tube has a bad habit of being very quick when you DON'T want it to be. I went from one end to one end in less then a hour. The staff must have thought I was mental.

Anyway I was first in line and..... none of the tutors show up for enrolment. I talked to a senior teacher and he sent me straight to their offices. I managed to get myself into Access to Science and next week if there are spaces available I will be moved straight Access to Engineering.

Man I feel like I could throw my shoes into the air and it would hit Bush all the way in Texas.

Now I'm emailing Unis to see if they are willing to accept Access to Science for Engineering.
Reply 6
Can't fault you for determination!

Latest

Trending

Trending