The Student Room Group

My best option

Overall, Im in a bit of a rut. Ive got no experience at a vet clinic or a farm and my AS levels didnt go to plan (AABD).Glasgow is definitely out (i think an A in chemistry w/o retakes is compulsory), liverpool has a huge emphasis on work experience (10 weeks in total i believe). Cambridge, despite its lax requirement on work experience, is a bit funny about retakes so thats probably a no. I could probably go on, im not an ideal candidate and id like your honest opinions please.
jamminjazman
Overall, Im in a bit of a rut. Ive got no experience at a vet clinic or a farm and my AS levels didnt go to plan (AABD).Glasgow is definitely out (i think an A in chemistry w/o retakes is compulsory), liverpool has a huge emphasis on work experience (10 weeks in total i believe). Cambridge, despite its lax requirement on work experience, is a bit funny about retakes so thats probably a no. I could probably go on, im not an ideal candidate and id like your honest opinions please.

I would say your best bet would be to take a year out, get as much experience as is humanly possible, including several different vets and farms etc- try and tick all the uni's boxes for that, then you can always resit your B at the same time- even with AAB and plenty of work exp you should stand a chance, but I know that Liv and RVC require AAA for resitters, so if you could pull the B up to an A you'd be eligible to apply to those ones. You're right about the Scottish ones not accepting resits, and realistically Cambridge are going to want 3 A's, but you still have a decent chance at the others provided you're prepared to do a hard years work getting all your work exp done.:smile:
I agree with the above I think. Just one thing to mention: Cambridge, I'm afraid, is going to be A*AA. Also, this plan is only good if your AAB are 2 sciences and whatever else.
Reply 3
What subjects did you do, and which grade was in what? If you are saying they are your AS grades, then you would be able to resit modules in your A2 year and that is still "in your first sitting" it is only when you end up taking another year to do it that the unis know you are resitting. Atm you could put your predicted a level grades down, and they dont need to know your as results.

But...as you say, your work exp is an issue. How come haven't you done any? Are you sure vet sci is for you if you have never done any work exp in the field? Your best bet would be to plan on applying next year. Get your results sorted this year, and make a start on a bit of work exp and then spend a year getting more stuff done.
Reply 4
cambridge AAA*???
Reply 5
Take a year out, do some work experience, some resits, don't apply to Cambridge, and have a crack at 4 of the others, then. You can't expect to apply to vetsci without work experience at any farms or vets.
Reply 6
Towser
Take a year out, do some work experience, some resits, don't apply to Cambridge, and have a crack at 4 of the others, then. You can't expect to apply to vetsci without work experience at any farms or vets.

This.
Reply 7
Dissey
This.

Glad I have your approval, fellow admin Diss.

edit: 7 days!!! :eek3: 12 for me. Daaaamn so close now (I know I've been saying this like clockwork every week since like August lulz but no really how damn close is it now!) You'll get a good 5 days exploring bristol then before everyone else moves in then. You can show me round :teeth:
Reply 8
Towser
Glad I have your approval, fellow admin Diss.

edit: 7 days!!! :eek3: 12 for me. Daaaamn so close now (I know I've been saying this like clockwork every week since like August lulz but no really how damn close is it now!) You'll get a good 5 days exploring bristol then before everyone else moves in then. You can show me round :teeth:

Dude, I knoooow. I'm trying not to freak out. Got our booklet thang, and I'm shocked at how much of a social life the vets seem to have with so many things to learn. And so many things to buy! My parents will kill me :tongue: You getting the 3 year gym membership in the end?

By the time you come I'll have made friends with all the locals and will have taught them basic greek, know the best pubs with the cheapest booze, and will have started adopting the accent.
Reply 9
Dissey
Dude, I knoooow. I'm trying not to freak out. Got our booklet thang, and I'm shocked at how much of a social life the vets seem to have with so many things to learn. And so many things to buy! My parents will kill me :tongue: You getting the 3 year gym membership in the end?

By the time you come I'll have made friends with all the locals and will have taught them basic greek, know the best pubs with the cheapest booze, and will have started adopting the accent.

I think I am getting the 3yr gym membership, yeah. Because I suppose it's handy for other than the gym, all the sports, swimming etc you can do with it aswell.

What things you found you need to buy? I might have missed those bits, I didn't see much more than the typical wellies, overalls, lab coat etc. ?

Lulz the accent. Have you seen Hot Fuzz? lmao every time I think of the south west I think of Hot Fuzz.
Reply 10
No, haven't seen Hot Fuzz, I'll youtube it.

I need: white/green coveralls for Animal management.
standard wellies (the ones I have now constrict blood circulation)
rubber gloves
paddlock
steel capped wellies
waterproof leggings & top

Whenever I did farm work they provided me with all of these, but there's a shop recommended in the handbook, I'll have to check it out there.
Reply 11
Dissey
No, haven't seen Hot Fuzz, I'll youtube it.

I need: white/green coveralls for Animal management.
standard wellies (the ones I have now constrict blood circulation)
rubber gloves
paddlock
steel capped wellies
waterproof leggings & top

Whenever I did farm work they provided me with all of these, but there's a shop recommended in the handbook, I'll have to check it out there.

Ah I see. Yeah I need a few of those aswell. Glad you got your booklet at last btw :woo:
Reply 12
Towser
Ah I see. Yeah I need a few of those aswell. Glad you got your booklet at last btw :woo:

Me too, I actually shooed away my friend so I could read it :tongue: :biggrin:

I youtubed Hot Fuzz, it looks hilarious, it's from the same people that made Shaun of the Dead looolll, I'm looking for a site to stream it from as a night night movie. The only way I can sleep these days is if I'm watching something from my PC, otherwise I tend to think too much and get restless.
Reply 13
Dissey
Me too, I actually shooed away my friend so I could read it :tongue: :biggrin:

I youtubed Hot Fuzz, it looks hilarious, it's from the same people that made Shaun of the Dead looolll, I'm looking for a site to stream it from as a night night movie. The only way I can sleep these days is if I'm watching something from my PC, otherwise I tend to think too much and get restless.

It is reeeaally funny, and very similar to Shaun of the Dead in the way that it's got loads of little witty comments and quirky bits that you can miss if you're not careful. Virtually every line is hilarious in some ironic/pun/sarcastic way lulz. Plus it's the same two people, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. :yy:
Reply 14
Towser
It is reeeaally funny, and very similar to Shaun of the Dead in the way that it's got loads of little witty comments and quirky bits that you can miss if you're not careful. Virtually every line is hilarious in some ironic/pun/sarcastic way lulz. Plus it's the same two people, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. :yy:

very similar to shaun of the dead to the extent that they include quotes from shaun of the dead in it :wink:
Reply 15
I can't find any streaming sites, meeeeh. Stupid copyright laws.

Latest

Trending

Trending