The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

British people are miserable

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Or maybe we are just more honest and upfront
Some of my best friends last year at uni were Americans who were over here for a year - and all they ever did was moan, admittedly in quite a funny, exaggerated American way.

But they hated everything on TV, they hated the servise in the UK, they hated the side of corridoors people walk on, they hate queues, they hated the weather, the hated the fact everything stopped because of an inch of snow etc etc - they moaned far more than any English people I've ever known!
What appears as dourness is infact a high sense of purpose and foresight.

Darker and shorter races in particular lack this quality - sure they have spontaneity and passion - but in terms of success nearly everything of importance comes from NW Europe.
Alexander Tomaszewski
What appears as dourness is infact a high sense of purpose and foresight.

Darker and shorter races in particular lack this quality - sure they have spontaneity and passion - but in terms of success nearly everything of importance comes from NW Europe.

Roflmao? the culture of the western civilization pratically comes from the mediterranean. Nothing of importance comes from NW. Vikings and arrows? Everything that the Northern Europeans did was just a continuation of the ancient/medieval culture which flourished in the mediterranean. Theater, poetry, literature, philosophy, medicine, political science, maths, historiography are southern european traditions. The north westerners started "producing" culture only after they came in contact with the Romans and the Greeks. Everything is based on their works. They came up with virtually nothing...

So chill with the success all right? Even in modern times, Jews have dominated most of the scientific/literary fields. The Southern Europe has contributed to the "success" of the west as much as the Western Europe has (if not more).

And it's not really true what you're saying OP. British people are not miserable... you can't generalise... maybe more miserable than the Spanish for instance :biggrin: But I think that the French are worse! I dunno though. I like the self-deprecation of British people. It can be very funny :smile: and British humor in general
MozartWasARed
Roflmao? the culture of the western civilization pratically comes from the mediterranean. Nothing of importance comes from NW. Vikings and arrows? Everything that the Northern Europeans did was just a continuation of the ancient/medieval culture which flourished in the mediterranean. Theater, poetry, literature, philosophy, medicine, political science, maths, historiography are southern european traditions. The north westerners started "producing" culture only after they came in contact with the Romans and the Greeks. Everything is based on their works. They came up with virtually nothing...

So chill with the success all right? Even in modern times, Jews have dominated most of the scientific/literary fields. The Southern Europe has contributed to the "success" of the west as much as the Western Europe has (if not more).

And it's not really true what you're saying OP. British people are not miserable... you can't generalise... maybe more miserable than the Spanish for instance :biggrin: But I think that the French are worse! I dunno though. I like the self-deprecation of British people. It can be very funny :smile: and British humor in general

The size of the British Empire was really quite impressive. What Southern European would have the wherewithal to travel, conquer and civilise like we did? Wops and Itis are all talk whereas we innovate and get things done: the telephone, electricity, some ****** great bridges, penicillin, ya know what im sayin bruv? We have also equipped countries like India with some rather impressive institutions and of course the beautiful English language and now they are learning from our success.

Nordic people are pretty darn miserable btw..
Alexander Tomaszewski
The size of the British Empire was really quite impressive. What Southern European would have the wherewithal to travel, conquer and civilise like we did? Wops and Itis are all talk whereas we innovate and get things done: the telephone, electricity, some ****** great bridges, penicillin, ya know what im sayin bruv? We have also equipped countries like India with some rather impressive institutions and of course the beautiful English language and now they are learning from our success.

Nordic people are pretty darn miserable btw..

Right so would have "invented" electricity and whatever without knowning mathematics? You didn't know how to count (I mean northerners) until you came in contact with the Romans. If you asked a German back then what is 1+1 - he wouldn't have known. Nevermind telephones. And what is English by the way? the language? is it not literally derived from Latin and Greek? Southern European languages. 5% of your entire vocabulary is derived directly from the Greek. 25% indirectly from the Greek. And Latin?? I don't know - like everything?

What does telephone for instance means? the word itself? it's not English bruv. Tele is far in GREEK and phone is VOICE in GREEK. Nothing English about the word u're using bruv, you know what am sayin?

Meucci and Manzetti are among two people who contributed DIRECTLY to the invention of the telephone. And they were Italians. It's not just Edison or Bell. A lot of people contributed to it. And bridges? Roman invention. Southern Europe is DEFINITELY as "responsible" for the western advancement as much as the North-West. Spain, France, Italy, Greece. Definitely contributed the same - if not more.

And puh-lease do not mention electricity. What about Tesla? he was Serbian I think...

I do not mean to turn this into a who's better debate but you must admit that what you are saying is at least racist. Britain had a large an empire but so did the Mongols. Huuge empire and it was even before America was discovered (by Columbus, an Italian - southerner). Empires prove nothing... Russians, French, Spanish, Italian, American, Greek, Roman - all had empires and all colapsed (xc=ept americans) and some of them are very weak now (Greece, Russia, Spain).
We're miserable because of a combination of our broken political system and the doom and gloom propagated by the media. Things could be worse, but we need serious political change in this country. There's no enthusiasm for making the country better - we always assume that whoever gets into power is crap and whoever's opposing him is at least as bad.

I think if we managed to reform our political system to the point where the people felt like they had a real say in what mattered, we might turn morale around.
Reply 47
I guess it all boils down to how one perceives life, but of course this is affected by factors such as the ones mentioned by Aphotic Cosmos.
Of course we're not happy. Those who work are heavily taxed, removing private incentives to maximise personal benefit. Those on benefits are lacking direction and self-esteem. Those on pensions have been defrauded by the financiers with the full support of the government.

It is also becoming apparent to everyone that the UK is a threatening place to live. The average citizen is threatened both by feral street yobs, and also by the state - databases, ID cards, CCTV, monitoring, control, fines for everything, remote controlled parking tickets because a camera saw you stop for a second on a yellow line etc. etc. We are treated as a nation of suspects rather than law-abiding citizens, which is what the vast majority of us are. A country where you can be arrested for defending yourself (much unlike the US) and where a child can be arrested for tossing a piece of cucumber or chalking on the pavement - it's a scary place.

No wonder we aren't happy. My grandparents say they have the same feeling now in the UK of being watched that they used to get when visiting the old Eastern bloc over 20 years ago - it's deeply unpleasant.

Having said that, etiquette is about cultural norms and general standards of acceptable behaviour. What is polite in one culture may be rude in another. If you take your cultural norms into another culture, you may well think people are rude, but the fault lies with you. The people who return your concept of "perfect politeness" with a grunt may well be offended by your own behaviour - being out of step with the people who you're interacting with. Etiquette is culturally relative. If the majority of people in the culture which you associate with disagree over a matter of etiquette with you, then it's your fault regardless of the situation. We should celebrate these cultural differences rather than fight them.
Reply 49
I think it's probably a fair characterization of the British to describe them as miserable, at least on a societal level, not to say that we are individually miserable, but it does tend to be a common topic when we meet others, how awful things are. It's also true that we have one of the highest rates of alcoholism in Europe. You may blame this all on the weather, but I believe there's a more practical reason; the long work hours! I graduated in 2008 and have been working since and I find it just makes me feel miserable, and drives me to drink, it affects me even when I'm not working by making me feel tired and my weekends are always spent recovering from the working week. I'm sure cutting down the work hours would have some benefit.
That being said, there is some positive outcome from all this negativity, it makes for some great art.
Reply 50
sil3nt_cha0s
Of course we're not happy. Those who work are heavily taxed, removing private incentives to maximise personal benefit. Those on benefits are lacking direction and self-esteem. Those on pensions have been defrauded by the financiers with the full support of the government.

It is also becoming apparent to everyone that the UK is a threatening place to live. The average citizen is threatened both by feral street yobs, and also by the state - databases, ID cards, CCTV, monitoring, control, fines for everything, remote controlled parking tickets because a camera saw you stop for a second on a yellow line etc. etc. We are treated as a nation of suspects rather than law-abiding citizens, which is what the vast majority of us are. A country where you can be arrested for defending yourself (much unlike the US) and where a child can be arrested for tossing a piece of cucumber or chalking on the pavement - it's a scary place.

No wonder we aren't happy. My grandparents say they have the same feeling now in the UK of being watched that they used to get when visiting the old Eastern bloc over 20 years ago - it's deeply unpleasant.

Having said that, etiquette is about cultural norms and general standards of acceptable behaviour. What is polite in one culture may be rude in another. If you take your cultural norms into another culture, you may well think people are rude, but the fault lies with you. The people who return your concept of "perfect politeness" with a grunt may well be offended by your own behaviour - being out of step with the people who you're interacting with. Etiquette is culturally relative. If the majority of people in the culture which you associate with disagree over a matter of etiquette with you, then it's your fault regardless of the situation. We should celebrate these cultural differences rather than fight them.

Agreed. We are miserable due to the political system, the law etc...which are left in tatters.
Reply 51
4G_dollars
Agreed. We are miserable due to the political system, the law etc...which are left in tatters.

Yes, and no, undoubtedly these are factors but I'm not so sure that they have changed the way we as a society interact. After all the characterization of being miserable is age old.
Reply 52
Komakino
Yes, and no, undoubtedly these are factors but I'm not so sure that they have changed the way we as a society interact. After all the characterization of being miserable is age old.

I suppose your right.
I think we lost hope, we are accepting that we are ****. Those are the factors. I think the sun (i know it is the sun but nonetheless) sums it up sort of
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2660991/The-Sun-newspaper-withdraws-its-support-for-Labour-government.html
Reply 53
I'm sure the headline was similar when they switched to Labour from the Conservatives. The Sun is an appalling publication. What makes me feel 'miserable' is that it could be so influential in our democratic election, run by the vulgar xenophobic scaremongerer Rupert Murdoch.
Reply 54
Komakino
I'm sure the headline was similar when they switched to Labour from the Conservatives. The Sun is an appalling publication. What makes me feel 'miserable' is that it could be so influential in our democratic election, run by the vulgar xenophobic scaremongerer Rupert Murdoch.

I dont like Rupert Murdoch especially his comment in regards to the BBC.The Sun, people buy it for page 3, lets be honest.

But the article does show some good points...
i feel the same to some extent, haha.
(edited 3 years ago)
adamrules247
We are far more polite than in the USA. (well with driving at any least)

some brits are pretty rude and that doesn't even include chavs btw.
Absolutely, 100% correct. It has everything to do with culture and upbringing. Some stand up comedians portrayed this in a fantastic light; I can't remember his name, but he compared America and the UK.

I suppose it's quite funny how we manage to unite under our own cynicism. "This weather's **** today, isn't it?" "Wow, that lecturer is absolutely pathetic."
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 58
At least we believe in evolution.
all this brit-hate, methinks it's you that's miserable...
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending