Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Maths Uni Chat

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    This is my most common reason for negging
    my most common one is the power of random.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh I Really Don't Care)
    negged for questioning negs
    prsom
    • 98 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've finally sort of planned my presentation :woo:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    3rd year exams next term.

my, the time has flown by
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)

Just 71 days! Suppose 15 of them yield to CATAM, then that's just 56 days. If you prepare say 8 courses then that's just 7 days per course.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I wish I'd done a maths degree. I still love physics but the whole hand wavyness way most of the courses were taught was quite annoying to me
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glutamic Acid)
    Just 71 days! Suppose 15 of them yield to CATAM, then that's just 56 days. If you prepare say 8 courses then that's just 7 days per course.
    I want to say that 15 days for CATAM is an overestimate, but I fear you're closer to the truth than my guess...

not even sure i want to prepare 30 units worth for catam.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Revise at home or revise at uni, that's the question...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderlust.xx)
    Revise at home or revise at uni, that's the question...
    not a question if you have 25 revision problem (just for analysis) to hand in when you get back..
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:

The part of university I definitely don't miss. How many courses do Cambridge thirs years normally prepare for? Equivalent to eight 24-lecture courses?
    • 98 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, this year is gone so far, exams from the 10th-23rd May :eek:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    The part of university I definitely don't miss. How many courses do Cambridge thirs years normally prepare for? Equivalent to eight 24-lecture courses?
    Roughly, yeah. Depends how much hell you're willing to put yourself through and whether you really want to do a Part III or not (which entails getting a first...)
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Roughly, yeah. Depends how much hell you're willing to put yourself through and whether you really want to do a Part III or not (which entails getting a first...)
    And how much hell are you putting yourself through?

I feel sorry for all of you - hated final year exams. A lot. Good luck
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    And how much hell are you putting yourself through?
    I'm taking 7 24 lecture courses, a 16 lecture course and another 2 'easy' 24 lecture courses (which are the exam equivalent of a 12 lecture course) for now.

May start dropping once I start revising and realise I don't remember any of anything.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow.....time has flown by.....final term exams starting soon :sigh:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking 7 24 lecture courses, a 16 lecture course and another 2 'easy' 24 lecture courses (which are the exam equivalent of a 12 lecture course) for now.

May start dropping once I start revising and realise I don't remember any of anything.
    Is it really not worth doing any Section I questions for someone with a serious chance at a first? I mean those marks have to rack up somehow, and e.g. a lot of the Number Theory ones look like you can knock them out in a few minutes if you know the bookwork well...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it really not worth doing any Section I questions for someone with a serious chance at a first? I mean those marks have to rack up somehow, and e.g. a lot of the Number Theory ones look like you can knock them out in a few minutes if you know the bookwork well...
    I'm only going to do Section I's if I finish a section II and there's only 5-10 minutes left or I haven't been able to start a Section II after about 30 minutes to get myself thinking.

Section II's are worth so many more marks that wasting productive time on Section I's seems coutnerintuitive.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Template for the proof of RH

Assume there is a zero of the line, therefore

There are finitely many primes. Contradiction. There is no zero on the line.

P.S. Pretty promising line of attack I've discovered.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just realised I've spent the past hour and a half working on a needlessly complicated version of the actual problem I'm doing and the real version is about 2 lines long, instead of the multiple paragraphs I've already spent trying to solve the hard version.

**** catam so hard.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just realised I've spent the past hour and a half working on a needlessly complicated version of the actual problem I'm doing and the real version is about 2 lines long, instead of the multiple paragraphs I've already spent trying to solve the hard version.

**** catam so hard.
    :mmm:
    It's quite frustrating (and it's also very hard to judge how much you can leave out to still get 15/20). But I think if you're already a fair bit into CATAM by now, you're in good shape. I started it when I came back from the Easter holidays last year and so had to take a few gambles on which of the harder parts to skip... not recommended.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 7, 2014
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.