The Student Room Group

Imperial or Oxford (+ UCL) :confused:

I am way into panic now about universities!

I have 11 A*s, 4 A's - Bio, Chem, Maths, Eco

UKCAT disappointing 615

I always thought id apply for imperial, but the cut off is 4.5,4.5,9, which is what you have to get at UCL to gurantee an interview!

What i want to know is it worth me apply to Oxford instead due to GCSES? Or should i apply to all, 3 BMAT, crazy! :confused:

Because i dont know where else apart from Birmingham i can apply with ukcat being low.... i dont want pbl and closer to LDN the better

Is the fact that Oxford only have 150 spaces and Imperial 286 mean i have more a shot at Imperial... I am not great at BMAT.... help!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
a.sehgal

UKCAT disappointing 615

I always thought id apply for imperial, but the cut off is 4.5,4.5,9, which is what you have to get at UCL to gurantee an interview!

What i want to know is it worth me apply to Oxford instead due to GCSES? Or should i apply to all, 3 BMAT, crazy! :confused:

Because i dont know where else apart from Birmingham i can apply with ukcat being low.... i dont want pbl and closer to LDN the better

Is the fact that Oxford only have 150 spaces and Imperial 286 mean i have more a shot at Imperial... I am not great at BMAT.... help!!!

UCL guarantee is 5,5,9.
a.sehgal

Where did you get that from?
Reply 3
you should apply where you want to go, and build your application round that, not the other way round which is what you are suggesting.

that way, you'll be adequately motivated to meet the entry requirements whatever they are.
Reply 4
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Where_to_Study_Medicine#Imperial_College_London

This is where i got it from...

I really would like some advice...
Reply 5
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Where_to_Study_Medicine#Imperial_College_London

Reply 6
you've just got the best advice you could possible get.

now go out and do it, macca.
a.sehgal

:thumbsup:, so 5,5,9 could guarantee you 2 BMAT uni interviews at least :sogood:

how are you feeling about the BMAT, as i suppose its personal as too how you think you'll do in it. And remember you're probably guaranteed a birmingham offer, but from what i've read 2 BMAT uni's is the normal choice (3 is really rare). Which one would you drop?
Doesn't ICL's cut off change? They interview the top 20% as said so on their admissions website/forum.
Reply 9
a.sehgal

I always thought id apply for imperial, but the cut off is 4.5,4.5,9

No it's not.

crazy_smurf
:thumbsup:, so 5,5,9 could guarantee you 2 BMAT uni interviews at least :sogood:

Even assuming it was, it wouldn't guarantee you an interview. It would mean that you'd meet the requirements to be considered for interview.
a.sehgal

UKCAT disappointing 615

Firstly, there is no cut-off as such at Imperial.
Secondly, a score in the top 20% (required to be considered for interview) was 4.7, 5.0, 7.5 and above last year (2008/09), and fluctuates every year.
Thirdly, your UKCAT is far from poor, and does not rule you out of everywhere - other people are better placed to advise on that

Fourthly

Just... no :facepalm: It's competitive wherever you apply. Indeed, Oxbridge get fewer applicants in general, but does that make it any easier to get in? Requirements rationally considered, don't be overanalytical - just apply to wherever you'd particularly like to go OP :yep:
a.sehgal

UKCAT disappointing 615

How have you got so many GCSE's?
beatleboar
How have you got so many GCSE's?

I think the 4 As were at AS?
Reply 13
Moronic Acid
I think the 4 As were at AS?

yeah sorry if i wasnt clear the above is correct, moronic acid can you please tell me how you prepared for your bmat? what did you get?
a.sehgal
yeah sorry if i wasnt clear the above is correct, moronic acid can you please tell me how you prepared for your bmat? what did you get?

I didn't 'prepare' for it as such - S1 is aptitude, S2 is science (I did 3 sciences at A-Level so I didn't see the need to revise GCSE material) and I couldn't prepare for S3 because I didn't have anyone to mark my essays :rolleyes:

I got | 7.0 | 5.8 | 9.0 |
Papillon
No it's not.

Even assuming it was, it wouldn't guarantee you an interview. It would mean that you'd meet the requirements to be considered for interview.

well ucl guarantee you an interview if you get 5,5,9 and looking on tsr, most imperial applicants who reached this cut off got interviews so yeh, i agree with you but the chances are you'd get two interviews :smile:
Reply 16
Any idea what unis i can apply to with a low ukcat such as mine

i wrote off to all unis and only barts told me they had a cut off

i am thinking kings, is that a total long shot?
keep in mind your medicine application is not weighted by one factor alone, in this case the UKCAT score you're stressing about. 11 A*s at GCSE and AAAA at AS is very impressive and likely balances you out your relatively average UKCAT score (i got 614 average)

UCL medical school say in their prospectus that GCSE scores are their most reliable indicator of future academic progress for those who they accept so don't get too hung up about it :smile:

in terms of BMAT i got an early UCL interview before they'd even seen my BMAT score (which was also average :P) based on my personal statement and UCAS application stuff alone, and i my grades weren't as good as yours.
hence the well-rounded application :biggrin:
Reply 18
WillBurch90
keep in mind your medicine application is not weighted by one factor alone, in this case the UKCAT score you're stressing about. 11 A*s at GCSE and AAAA at AS is very impressive and likely balances you out your relatively average UKCAT score (i got 614 average)

UCL medical school say in their prospectus that GCSE scores are their most reliable indicator of future academic progress for those who they accept so don't get too hung up about it :smile:

in terms of BMAT i got an early UCL interview before they'd even seen my BMAT score (which was also average :P) based on my personal statement and UCAS application stuff alone, and i my grades weren't as good as yours.
hence the well-rounded application :biggrin:

Thanks for your advice... any tips on BMAT i have the kaplan book... i haven't started revising for essays yet ... but any idea for how to approach it
Reply 19
I wanted to ask whether it would be harder to get into Oxford with 150 seats than ICL with 286, hmm would it be logical to think that way

Latest

Trending

Trending