The Student Room Group

Sports

Ok, I'm quite bad at sports. Actually I'm rubbish, but I enjoy playing them and was wondering if anyone knows what the standards of most 2nd and 3rd teams are, especially football and cricket? I'm pretty much a novice at cricket, is it likely that if I went to the college cricket club I would look weird having very little clue what I'm doing? Sorry if this post makes no sense, I have had a distinct lack of sleep the last few days. Thanks for any replies (I'm going to Clare by the way).

phil.

Scroll to see replies

As far as I know, anyone who wants to play will pretty much walk into the Clare cricket team.
Reply 2
TheEnergizerRabbit
As far as I know, anyone who wants to play will pretty much walk into the Clare cricket team.

That good, eh? Would it be normal to join several sports clubs at the start of the year and then drop out of them slowly as you realise your work load is far too much? That is my other concern.

phil.
Reply 3
College cricket teams tend to be pretty poor, it's more about the taking part (and getting trashed when you get out... sometimes before).

The football tends to be better, but anyone who wants to play can play for the third teams, they tend to play to the mantra of 'if in doubt, hoof it out'.
It wouldn't be 'normal' because for one the workload won't be too much unless your looking at several sports, and even then the only conflict will probably be between scheduled lectures/practicals and training/matches rather than not enough hours in the day to do work. Cambridge people have more than enough time to relax and do other stuff in the day, so you shouldn't go into next year worrying that your life will = your work because it definitely won't.
Reply 5
TableChair
College cricket teams tend to be pretty poor, it's more about the taking part (and getting trashed when you get out... sometimes before).

The football tends to be better, but anyone who wants to play can play for the third teams, they tend to play to the mantra of 'if in doubt, hoof it out'.

:smile: That's how I play football! Are there many intercollegiate cricket competitions if the standard is so low? I'm quite encouraged as I love cricket as a game but for some reason have never really played it so would love the opportunity to have a laugh and give it a go.

phil.
Reply 6
Hey, I'm fairly sure its possible to get into college teams whatever your standard. I for one am hoping to walk into one of my college's cricket teams, and I only averaged 0.5 for my school 3rds. :p:
Reply 7
Jayae
Hey, I'm fairly sure its possible to get into college teams whatever your standard. I for one am hoping to walk into one of my college's cricket teams, and I only averaged 0.5 for my school 3rds. :p:

Haha, but can you bowl? My cricketing skill (rather, lack thereof) is a complete unknown, I think I played it once in PE and bowled a bit in the nets with some mates a couple of times. It's such a good sport though!

phil.
Reply 8
Interesting. I always assumed college cricket standards would be high for some reason and that I'd never make it.

I might actually try out now - I've played my fair share of club and school cricket (although I got overtaken by better players in recent years...I used to be a top player...but nowadays...*sigh*...). Thanks for the info though. :smile:

Oh, and are there many tennis courts around?
Reply 9
Vivisteiner
Interesting. I always assumed college cricket standards would be high for some reason and that I'd never make it.

I might actually try out now - I've played my fair share of club and school cricket (although I got overtaken by better players in recent years...I used to be a top player...but nowadays...*sigh*...). Thanks for the info though. :smile:

A fellow cricket fan as well as a final fantasy fan then? We're so cool :p:.

phil.
Reply 10
To be honent i've not often been trusted to bowl in matches, so i couldnt say. It does tend to facillitate the scoring of runs though...
Reply 11
Hahaha, then there is hope for me! I am very pleased :smile:.

phil.
InVinoVeritas
:smile: That's how I play football! Are there many intercollegiate cricket competitions if the standard is so low? I'm quite encouraged as I love cricket as a game but for some reason have never really played it so would love the opportunity to have a laugh and give it a go.

phil.

I think there's only one, but friendlies usually get organised if you get knocked out.

Cricket doesn't seem to be taken particularly seriously, partly because all the matches take place in trinity (summer) term and so people are revising.
InVinoVeritas
A fellow cricket fan as well as a final fantasy fan then? We're so cool :p:.

phil.

Haha, awesome. I would love to meet up with you. Its just a shame that I can't let anyone know who I really am!

On the topic of my cricketing career, I want to wallow in my own self pity, so don't bother reading this if you're not in the mood. I started off as one of the top bowlers in the A team - I was the secret spinning weapon who would regularly take wickets to win matches. But over time, for some reason, I started looking less potent. The ball stopped spinning much for me and I got relegated to a weak member of the B team who would come on, bowl a few overs, and not do anything special and occasionaly get hit around. It was very disappointing for me. And then after that I lost interest, sort of gave up, played a few matches for the Cs - and I haven't played since then.

I still hold onto the belief that I *am* good (as well as the belief that I can bat, despite my top score only being 17 not out). So who knows, maybe at Cambridge I will have my time to shine?
Vivisteiner

Yeah, I imagine you'll be fine, unless your college is amazing at cricket...

Depends on college, I think all colleges have tennis courts but not all on-site. Their standard also tends to be quite variable, quite a few seem to insist on grass courts which can be quite bad. The standard of tennis is also reasonably high, but then again the teams are only of 6 players.
TableChair
Yeah, I imagine you'll be fine, unless your college is amazing at cricket...

Depends on college, I think all colleges have tennis courts but not all on-site. Their standard also tends to be quite variable, quite a few seem to insist on grass courts which can be quite bad. The standard of tennis is also reasonably high, but then again the teams are only of 6 players.

Awwww, so I'm guessing that means only one team of 6 players per college.

Hmmmm...thats probably gonna be too tough...Im not sure if I'll even find time anyway. I might just play it for fun with some friends that I will hopefully make there. Although I guess I might as well try out for it for the hell of it. Thanks.
Reply 16
if only there was a sport that hundreds upon hundreds of freshers learn from scratch each year...
Chewwy
if only there was a sport that hundreds upon hundreds of freshers learn from scratch each year...

RRRRRRROWWWINGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!
College sports are usually at a pretty low level, and in the cases where they aren't they will have 2nd or 3rd teams which are.

Being bad at sports when you start shouldn't hold you back. When I started, I did absolutely nothing, and now I'm a complete sports nut. I even know one girl who did nothing before uni and is now trialling for GB rowing. If you want to get into sport, uni is the time to do it!
Vivisteiner
Awwww, so I'm guessing that means only one team of 6 players per college.

Hmmmm...thats probably gonna be too tough...Im not sure if I'll even find time anyway. I might just play it for fun with some friends that I will hopefully make there. Although I guess I might as well try out for it for the hell of it. Thanks.

Oh no, most colleges have second teams, and so you can usually get a game if you want it. Also people tend to play against each other all the time, just sign up and get on the mailing list and turn up to training to meet others who play. Although training probably wont start till late easter term, as all the matches are in summer.

It's just the first teams can be quite hard to get into, although it's very college dependent, quite a few first teams are worse than the second teams at other colleges.