The Student Room Group
Well you won't get any professional advise here, but complete the course of penicillin then go back to the doctors and say its not working. 2 tabsa 4 times a day is high for penicillin anyway so you may need a different antibiotic, or maybe none will work and you may need an op like my friend had. Nothing worked so she had them out.
Reply 2
If by half-way through the course it hasn't improved and got worse call your GP and let them know. I had tonsillitis during the summer and the same thing happened to me, apparently the anti-biotics I was given wasn't the right one for the bacteria I had.
Reply 3
Loz17
Well you won't get any professional advise here,
So rude! :frown:
Reply 4
OP when I get tonsillitis it does usually take a few days for the penicillin to take effect, hopefully in the next day or two you should feel a difference. Hope your feeling better soon. :smile:
Loz17
Well you won't get any professional advise here, but complete the course of penicillin then go back to the doctors and say its not working. 2 tabsa 4 times a day is high for penicillin anyway so you may need a different antibiotic, or maybe none will work and you may need an op like my friend had. Nothing worked so she had them out.

How yould you know? You don't even know what the dose of the pills they are taking is.

Tonsilitis since weekend, antibiotics started ~72 hours ago.

I would say if you are eating and drinking (albeit with pain) then continue your course of antibiotics. Take regular painkillers (paracetamol and ibuprofen) and gargle soluble aspirin or salty water.

Most tonsilitis is viral anyway, but nearly all will start to improve on its own come day 5-7.

If you find yourself not able to drink water, or dribbling constantly, or short of breath, then go to the GP straight away.

else suck it up i'm afraid.
Renal
So rude! :frown:

Apart from a select few of course :p:
Jamie
How yould you know? You don't even know what the dose of the pills they are taking is.

Well I have never seen pencillin in a larger dose than that (and I work in a pharmacy as a dispenser, no doesn't mean I know everything I'm just saying thats all I've seen in the only strength of penicillin that I have ever seen, which is 250mg per tablet)

Anyway I'm sure your much more qualified than me so I only gave advice of which I'd give to a patient based on what I've seen. They did state that they were on 2 qds in their original post, so I went from that.
I had tonsillitus on and off for a year once every two months each bout lasting two weeks until I got mine removed this year so I got very used to the whole thing!

Basically, the penicillin does normally help after a few days, but I've found it can get a bit worse in that time so it doesnt sound too unusual. If it keeps up then you can just call/pop in and get them to change the prescription or give you a longer one. I got a second dose quite a few times.

What does your throat look like? Is it very inflamed and spotty? Is one side very much larger than the other - as if this is the case you need to see your GP asap.

The best thing to do is to keep alternating between paracetamol and ibruprofen as much as you can, as it should help you feeling so rubbish. Use a cold flannel etc to help the fever. If you are vomiting then try to have some water/dry toast if you can rather than full on food but keep eating even if it hurts cos otherwise you will feel much weaker.
Reply 9
falliingforyou
Basically I've had tonsillitis since the weekend went to the Drs on Monday and was put on penicillin, just wondering how long it normally takes to take affect?

I've been on 2 tablets 4 times a day so I've had about 17 but It still hasn't made any difference if not its got worse :s-smilie:

Its driving me crazy haven't had more then a couple of hours sleep at night and can hardly eat.

Thanks

The earlier you apply it, the better. I woke up one morning with a killer throat, looked like tonsilitus or similar bactieral infection (either streptococcus or actinomyces, it's too late to remember) I hit the penicillin that day and it was pretty much gone by the time I went to the doctors the next day- the doctor prescribed me even further penicillin

It will kick the tonsillitis's ass in a few days don't worry :smile:

Loz17
Well I have never seen pencillin in a larger dose than that (and I work in a pharmacy as a dispenser, no doesn't mean I know everything I'm just saying thats all I've seen in the only strength of penicillin that I have ever seen, which is 250mg per tablet)

Loz17
Well you won't get any professional advise here, but complete the course of penicillin then go back to the doctors and say its not working. 2 tabsa 4 times a day is high for penicillin anyway so you may need a different antibiotic,

If it's the only dose you've ever seen... how can it be a high one? Surley it would be a standard one. And as far as I know 2tblts 4 times a day at 250mg is pretty standard for oral penicillin, (OP i bet your box says penicillin V or phenoxymethylpenicllin :wink:

(Im not a smart ass, i just had a lot of tonsillitis and glandular fever... also i study pharmacology and immunology, so this is my thing :P)
Gary10k

If it's the only dose you've ever seen... how can it be a high one? Surley it would be a standard one. And as far as I know 2tblts 4 times a day at 250mg is pretty standard for oral penicillin, (OP i bet your box says penicillin V or phenoxymethylpenicllin :wink:

(Im not a smart ass, i just had a lot of tonsillitis and glandular fever... also i study pharmacology and immunology, so this is my thing :P)

I said only strength of penicillin tablet I have ever seen, not the only dose. The most common dosage of pencillin I dispense is 1 tablet four times a day for 7 days, and then on the more rare occasion 2 tabs four times a day, which is the highest dose of pencillin I have seen. Both are very standard doses, but I guess it does depend on the doctor and the severity of the condition on what is given to the patient. I'm just going from experience. I have already mentioned I am by no means a professional in this area at all. (give it 5 years and I hope I will be :p:)

Latest