The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Getting lectureships in the arts and humanities these days is extremely tough. It is quite scary (from a scientists perspective) just how tough it is. I have lost count of how many friends who have tried and given up.

Talk to some junior researchers and young academic staff about their experiences and the difficulties they experienced. Also, ask your head of department or other senior academics about application statistics and success rates for faculty positions that arise in your current university. This will give you a favour of the challenge you will face.

PGCEs are not prerequisites for lecturers but I know many people who have done them in order to have a backup career option.
shiny
Getting lectureships in the arts and humanities these days is extremely tough. It is quite scary (from a scientists perspective) just how tough it is. I have lost count of how many friends who have tried and given up.

That's depressing...
This is also one of my ambitions, this is what I have gathered along the path of researching into it:

- Try and get a 1st, a 2:1 doesn't rule you out but a 1st makes it more realistic that you will get postgraduate funding

- Go for a 1+3 funded scheme (1 being the MA, 3 being the PhD) from a research council, eg the AHRC or the ESRC. Make sure the masters you go for has a substantial research element. When you go for lecturing jobs you will be asked about your record of winning money from funding councils, so being funded through your postgrad is a good way of showing this

- Choose your institution carefully for postgrad. One of my undergrad lecturers dissuaded me from doing the MA course he taught on the grounds that he thought it looks good from an academic point of view to do your postgrad at a different institution from your undergrad degree, shows you can study in different environments etc. Whilst I think at undergrad level some students can overplay the importance of institution (at the end of the day you will probably learn the same curriculum), at postgrad level it does make a difference if you pursue your research somewhere where they have a strong and well known research centre in your area. This is also good for building the right networks and contacts

- Build your networks and contacts when you are doing your PhD especially. Put yourself out there to go to conferences, meet and mingle, discuss relevant interests with academics at other institutions...you never know who is looking for a teaching assistant and can give you a nod...

- Try and get some teaching experience when you are on your PhD

The normal route seems to be going for a postdoc position as a researcher or a teaching fellowship, at a good university these are typically paid about £24k a year, so not bad, but not a massive pay out for something you have to dedicate 7 years of your life as a student to get. If you get some experience here you will be well placed to look for academic (lecturing) positions in time, these are likely to pay £30 to £40k.
Reply 23
QI Elf
I'm just about to start my second year of a BA in history. For several years I have been interested in becoming a lecturer of history and have decided that I really do want to persue that as a career.

I know it is an extreamly hard thing to get into, especially with a popular subject like history and competition is stiff. However, I am at the moment involved with writing an academic history book (helping with the editing, actually doing the indexing, and have co-written parts of it) as well as having an article published in a historical journal (I am also co-writing this article as it is my first, but the year after or even before, I hope to write one myself.) I got a 2.1 in my 1st year and plan to really try to up my game and work my hardest in the hope of possibly getting a 1st. I feel for these reasons, I have a good a chance as anyone.

I plan to go onto do my MA and phD in a few years time. I am also wondering about a PGCE. Is this now a requirement in becoming a lecturer? I have been looking up the modules and such like and several of them seem more related to teaching in schools which doesn't appeal to me very much at all. I have also come accross a PGCHE, which as far as I can tell is something universities nominate you onto if they feel you need to do it.

Many people start to do small amounts of lecturing and supervising (often in tutorials) whilst doing their phDs and it is also important to try and get a position as a research student to a respected academic in your field of interest. At the moment I don't know how easy or dificult this will be to achieve but is certainly something I would try and do if possible.

Can anyone give me any advice/feedback etc, on things I can do to try and improve my chance of success? Also, information on the PGCE/ PGCHE and if this is a requirement to become a lecturer, would be very much appreciated.

Getting onto postgraduate study is the first step and then go from there. Being ambitious is good but I've noticed that it does put off academics on some levels so be careful how you do it. Whilst UG publications are good (and if I'm right in thinking you're just going into your second year, not even your third) they won't be as good as doing them at a PG level so don't ignore your studies just to get published, it can come later.

What I will say is that DO NOT be surprised if you get to MA level and then suddenly decide it's not for you. Having just finished my MA after having such a good BA, I can't put into words how the last 6 weeks felt - an emotional roller-coaster would be one good way and as a result, the number of people I knew who were going in with the same attitude of yours "PhD, lecture etc" have dropped that idea and have run a mile. I'm not being purposely negative, just realistic as postgraduate study really really does not suit everyone and I can quite see why.

I was at a conference this weekend as one of the youngest and least qualified (as in not started my PhD yet) students there. I had very very well respected academics (we're talking a Professor and a very well known academic in their respective field amongst others) telling me after sitting through god knows how many panels of papers that they've VERY happy they're not going into academia currently as the competition is SO fierce. It is a very scary world and there were times that I started to question whether it's worth it!!

The BEST advice anyone can give you is a.) finish your BA and strive to get the best result possible. b.) try and forget about it all until you get to MA level. Postgrad life is a world away from the cushty fluffy UG world (especially for History I would hasten to add) and you need to DO it before you commit yourself to one career path and one career path only.

Use the advice given on one of your previous threads: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=19731809#post19731809

Have a read of this as well as funding's (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Postgraduate_Funding_in_the_Arts) a big issue and MA funding through the AHRC is pretty small given most of their money has gone into doctoral places only. Be aware that unless you can self fund your MA, you may not even make it to postgraduate level because of just how bad Arts funding is currently!!!! That's probably the first big hurdle you've got to get over and even with a first and publications to your name, it's no guarantee!

Re: the 1+3 route as someone mentioned - the AHRC don't offer it and for the ESRC, you'd have a very select list of universities to choose from - the list is on their website :smile: You'll notice it's also quite a specific sub-area of History covered too.

PGCE is not a requirement - the new higher education one I believe people are studying once they're in their actual academic jobs. Don't know many people who have done it beforehand. It's only just beginning to be a requirement from what I've heard/been told

Hope this doesn't come across as harsh as it's not meant to be but a tough world doesn't even come into it and even your own department might not support your case for funding (the one I've just finished at didn't despite telling me otherwise :rolleyes: )

Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 25
If you're interested in lecturing, you can look outside of the UK. You can easliy move around the EU, especially since many universities have multiple degrees offered in English. You also have the US and Canada, though I'm more familiar with the US.

For example, in the US, you can lecture with an MA; however, you won't be offer a tenure-track position with an MA. Also there are lots of community colleges who higher lecturers with an MA. With a PhD, you can focus more on lecturing than researching, depending on the college/university to work at. It's quite competitive, especially for a tenure-track position, but it'll be easier to find work. I has several professors from Europe who did their PhD in the States and then found a lecturing job following that with a tenure-track position not far behind.

Also, in the US, during you MA/MS or PhD, you are required to take a course that focuses on lecturing in you subject area with most graduate students taking on a teaching assistantship. They definitely prepare you teach, though not all academics are great, or even good/ok teachers.

Best of luck.
Reply 26
QI Elf
I'm just about to start my second year of a BA in history. For several years I have been interested in becoming a lecturer of history and have decided that I really do want to persue that as a career.

I know it is an extreamly hard thing to get into, especially with a popular subject like history and competition is stiff. However, I am at the moment involved with writing an academic history book (helping with the editing, actually doing the indexing, and have co-written parts of it) as well as having an article published in a historical journal (I am also co-writing this article as it is my first, but the year after or even before, I hope to write one myself.) I got a 2.1 in my 1st year and plan to really try to up my game and work my hardest in the hope of possibly getting a 1st. I feel for these reasons, I have a good a chance as anyone.

I plan to go onto do my MA and phD in a few years time. I am also wondering about a PGCE. Is this now a requirement in becoming a lecturer? I have been looking up the modules and such like and several of them seem more related to teaching in schools which doesn't appeal to me very much at all. I have also come accross a PGCHE, which as far as I can tell is something universities nominate you onto if they feel you need to do it.

Many people start to do small amounts of lecturing and supervising (often in tutorials) whilst doing their phDs and it is also important to try and get a position as a research student to a respected academic in your field of interest. At the moment I don't know how easy or dificult this will be to achieve but is certainly something I would try and do if possible.

Can anyone give me any advice/feedback etc, on things I can do to try and improve my chance of success? Also, information on the PGCE/ PGCHE and if this is a requirement to become a lecturer, would be very much appreciated.

WOW!!! :yy: How did you manage to gain and seek those opportunities? :biggrin: Pure envy over here from me!:yep: :o: I'd love to get involved and try my hand at submitting my own journal articles and cowriting publications for Geography, in my undergraduate degree!

EDIT: I'm also pursuing a career in academia with aspirations to go onto a Ph.D after this degree then enter post-doctoral research either in the form of gaining a Research Fellowship or a doctoral position, of which lecturing and supervising several undergraduate classes as well as dealing with tedious administrative tasks I suspect will also take place alongside undertaking my own research both out in the field and within the confines of the University or UN Organisation or Environmental NGO or other established subject-specific organisation... you catch my drift. However, I am placing more emphasis and have a much greater zeal on conducting and undertaking my own research as my main academic aspiration, with lecturing some classes being a subsection discipline that will need to be accounted for within my role as an academic; rather than the other way round, of which your original post alludes to in reference to teaching qualifications and the prime role of lecturing/holding lectures.

Henceforth this does provide me with another great motive to overcome my social anxiety :fear: and improve upon my presentation and communication skills (well lack of, as it stands atm :o: ) as not only will it be essential to clearly communicate ideas and construct informed arguments at conferences and amongst fellow colleagues within Academia's discourse; but also I'd love if I could convey my dedication and enthusiasm out amongst the students of which I may have to lecture, to inspire them to do more or inspire them of the potential in making a positive difference, however big or small, that they could harness and take the plunge into immersion of academic literature to further their interest and understanding- Rather than seeing it as a further extension from the typical school's curriculum mentality of jumping through hoops to require knowledge with the aim to only pass summative assessments as well as possible with as little effort as possible. I know it is often the case that all academics should be good at researching with good tenure tracks and in gaining funding; although not all academics are good lecturers in the teaching sense. I feel that I shall probably fall into this paradox with future students just being given the opportunity to learn in any of my future, potential lectures rather than being a great teacher (as is the paradigm of University level work: academics are there to let you learn rather than to teach ) and holding interactive lectures and engagement with the students.
Reply 27
Elements
WOW!!! :yy: How did you manage to gain and seek those opportunities? :biggrin: Pure envy over here from me!:yep: :o: I'd love to get involved and try my hand at submitting my own journal articles and cowriting publications for Geography, in my undergraduate degree!

It's all down to my lovely Gran!!! She did her MA in history when she was about 60 and still is quite involved with the history dept. at Nottingham Uni, and knows some of the lecturers/professors there etc.

Anyway, she has written a book about this alms house in the village where she grew up. It has taken her 10 years to do and almost from the beginning I have gone with her on occassions to record offices and the like to help her gather her research. Now it's finished and has gone to the editor but I have been really invloved in the last few months, I typed most of the book (all 150ish pages), proof read it as well as helping to write parts of it etc etc.

For the journal article, I am a member of the Thoroton Society, which is a local history society for Nottingham (where I am from). My Gran has been a member since the 60s, and when I was about 5, she joined me up too!!! I have been going to the meeting and outings since about that time aswell and so know a few quite important people on the history scene because of it (my favourite being Professor John Beckett!). Anyway, they publish a journal every year and my Gran and I were talking to the editor of the journal who is a lecturer at Nottingham Uni. He said she should publish an article on this thing she has been researching- it's about the fall in population in this one village in Notts, whilst everywhere else the population was rising. So she said she would and then that I should co-write it with her. Richard, the editor, thought this was a good idea and said he would put it in the Thoroton Transactions (the journal).

Sorry for the long post, I got a bit carried away!

Elements, if you wanted to have a go at publishing something, have a look at the geography journals in the uni library. Often at either the front or back of them, there are the details of how to send something for consideration of publication. I don't know if you would need to go off and do a field study or research etc (for instance, in history this is essential) but I would imagine you probably would.
Reply 28
QI Elf
It's all down to my lovely Gran!!! She did her MA in history when she was about 60 and still is quite involved with the history dept. at Nottingham Uni, and knows some of the lecturers/professors there etc.

Anyway, she has written a book about this alms house in the village where she grew up. It has taken her 10 years to do and almost from the beginning I have gone with her on occassions to record offices and the like to help her gather her research. Now it's finished and has gone to the editor but I have been really invloved in the last few months, I typed most of the book (all 150ish pages), proof read it as well as helping to write parts of it etc etc.

For the journal article, I am a member of the Thoroton Society, which is a local history society for Nottingham (where I am from). My Gran has been a member since the 60s, and when I was about 5, she joined me up too!!! I have been going to the meeting and outings since about that time aswell and so know a few quite important people on the history scene because of it (my favourite being Professor John Beckett!). Anyway, they publish a journal every year and my Gran and I were talking to the editor of the journal who is a lecturer at Nottingham Uni. He said she should publish an article on this thing she has been researching- it's about the fall in population in this one village in Notts, whilst everywhere else the population was rising. So she said she would and then that I should co-write it with her. Richard, the editor, thought this was a good idea and said he would put it in the Thoroton Transactions (the journal).

Sorry for the long post, I got a bit carried away!

Elements, if you wanted to have a go at publishing something, have a look at the geography journals in the uni library. Often at either the front or back of them, there are the details of how to send something for consideration of publication. I don't know if you would need to go off and do a field study or research etc (for instance, in history this is essential) but I would imagine you probably would.

Hey- don't worry about the long post: you quoted my post before I had finished editing it; extending it!:p:

It must be a great feeling for you to finally be lectured now in the same department at University by the same Professor whom you have admired and looked up to in your local historical society from a young age!:wooo:

I'm the 1st person in my family to go to University (with my younger sibling having started Uni this year :smile: ) so I don't have any inside contacts per se within academia yet, nor have I begun/had the opportunity to start what is known amogst academia as "networking" with other colleagues and professionals that you have been around and meet.

I have already been down into the basement of the library in perusing and taking notes from the print copies of the Geography journals down there, as well as frequently making use of the e-journal databases on a daily basis for my own interests' reading and for following my course and its set assignments etc...Practically all the information on submission of articles to the journals and periodicals, requires you to already have your doctoral degree or be working at or above that level with extensive peer-review done on your work, to have a chance of attaining publication. So one day (hopefully! :o: ) that will be me but until then, I am severely lacking!:s-smilie:
Reply 29
Elements
Hey- don't worry about the long post: you quoted my post before I had finished editing it; extending it!:p:

It must be a great feeling for you to finally be lectured now in the same department at University by the same Professor whom you have admired and looked up to in your local historical society from a young age!:wooo:

I'm the 1st person in my family to go to University (with my younger sibling having started Uni this year :smile: ) so I don't have any inside contacts per se within academia yet, nor have I begun/had the opportunity to start what is known amogst academia as "networking" with other colleagues and professionals that you have been around and meet.

I have already been down into the basement of the library in perusing and taking notes from the print copies of the Geography journals down there, as well as frequently making use of the e-journal databases on a daily basis for my own interests' reading and for following my course and its set assignments etc...Practically all the information on submission of articles to the journals and periodicals, requires you to already have your doctoral degree or be working at or above that level with extensive peer-review done on your work, to have a chance of attaining publication. So one day (hopefully! :o: ) that will be me but until then, I am severely lacking!:s-smilie:

You can take the print journals out you know (but again, I can only speak for history- geog. may be different) Although you can only take them out for 2 days, but I just keep renewing them online!

I've been taking delight in taking out some of the Thoroton Journals out and reading the past articles by the people who I have always been surrounded by in the society!

What made me almost wet myself (well...almost!) a week or two ago was when for one of my modules, a Thoroton article was on the reading list! Then inside my Gran was credited as being the Programme Secretary. The journal was from several years ago (before I joined) and I had no idea that she had even been the programme secretary!

Elemets, good luck in achieveing what you want to be. I really hope you get there. Just because you are the first in your family to go to uni etc, doesn't mean you are any worse off. Lots of people are in your position and I just feel really lucky to have my Gran who has allowed me be in contact and surrounded by history etc for most of my life. If it wasn't for her, I would be in the same situation as you, or maybe not even doing history at uni at all for she sparked my interest off when I was little.
Reply 30
QI Elf
You can take the print journals out you know (but again, I can only speak for history- geog. may be different) Although you can only take them out for 2 days, but I just keep renewing them online!

I've been taking delight in taking out some of the Thoroton Journals out and reading the past articles by the people who I have always been surrounded by in the society!

What made me almost wet myself (well...almost!) a week or two ago was when for one of my modules, a Thoroton article was on the reading list! Then inside my Gran was credited as being the Programme Secretary. The journal was from several years ago (before I joined) and I had no idea that she had even been the programme secretary!

Elemets, good luck in achieveing what you want to be. I really hope you get there. Just because you are the first in your family to go to uni etc, doesn't mean you are any worse off. Lots of people are in your position and I just feel really lucky to have my Gran who has allowed me be in contact and surrounded by history etc for most of my life. If it wasn't for her, I would be in the same situation as you, or maybe not even doing history at uni at all for she sparked my interest off when I was little.

Hehe, I know that you can borrow the print journals from out of the library; I've just already maxed out the number of items that I am permitted to take out from the library!:p: :angel: I tried wheedling to borrow just 1 more item but the librarian was having 0 of it!:frown: Mean! I know that lots of people do have extensive reading lists but not everyone is a profusive and profficient reader with a love for reading like I am! I only wanted a little leeway!:o: :angel: I'm currently trying to do a turn around of reading and taking down notes from 4 books before the end of this week so as to return them back to the library, in effect exchanging them for another 4 books to get on with until mid-next week!:p: :ninja: So it doesn't look I'll be taking any journals out of the library anytime soon. I do know that I can photocopy some of the articles though- but obviously not many volume-wise and print-credit wise!

Awesome!:biggrin: That sounds really cool! Last week and this week :p: I got really excited about something I had already read about/loved alot getting mentioned amongst some of my lectures!:biggrin: I almost burst with excitement about to stand up and enthuse about it in class :o: , yet the lecturer qwelled that opportunity from happening by not emphasing the level of its awesomeness vocally and quickly running off, which annoyed me a bit.:huff: Now that we can choose some of our own modules/begin to specialise now we're in 2nd year, I do quite often find myself having to physically restrain myself from running to some of the lectures that I most enjoy so much!:o: :p: If only because I'm quite good at tripping over my own 2 feet, let alone going quickly down stairs and safety concerns about running in the buildings!:wink:

Do you read lots of what some of your lecturers have written in book chapters, books and journal articles etc, so not just their University Research profile pages on the Departmental website, too? Because I do that for my favourite lecturers :biggrin: - not that they know that though.:o: :ninja: It's not stalking honest!:ninja: I find it so fascinating, intriguing and inspiring! I've accumulated quite a collection of material that they have written now, plus I've analysed and critiqued some of it in my own notes- I wish I had the courage to talk to them about it, discussing research and ideas etc in-person. :o:

Good luck to you too QI Elf- I hope you succeed in your aspirations and career ambitions also!:smile: :hugs:

Latest

Trending

Trending