The Student Room Group

should I resit to get an A* in English Lit?

I have finally been coaxed into applying to Cambridge to read English. But, upon checking the website, I noticed they're after A*AA now.
I've already finished my English Lit A-Level and for the 3 A2 modules I got 100%, 96% and 74%.
Should I resit the 74% and try for above 90%? It was LTB5 - Tennyson and Measure for Measure. I'd been getting As in all my essays throughout the year but just had a bad exam.
The average of the three percentages is 90% so effectively an A* but I somehow doubt they work it out that way.

Also I could try for an A* in A-level History. Which I might do regardless of trying for one in English too.
Doubt I'll be getting one in Maths!!
would be a good idea to resit - so you meet the current requirements. luckily i applied last year, i got the same as you, got 117/120, 90/90 and then 70/90 on hamlet and lyrical ballads module.
i was happy with the A overall but for loads of my friends doing english lit, they got reallly low on that module, like a guy i know got an E (AB in the others) and a guy who got A at AS got AA and then a U in that module! generally, people got lower in this module so a resit should straighten it out - shouldn't be too much work either, as you already know the books and can have chance to look at feedback for those exams if you want.
you never know, if you apply and they like you, they might not even ask for the A*, seeing as you already have ur results!
Reply 2
whisperings
I have finally been coaxed into applying to Cambridge to read English. But, upon checking the website, I noticed they're after A*AA now.
I've already finished my English Lit A-Level and for the 3 A2 modules I got 100%, 96% and 74%.
Should I resit the 74% and try for above 90%? It was LTB5 - Tennyson and Measure for Measure. I'd been getting As in all my essays throughout the year but just had a bad exam.
The average of the three percentages is 90% so effectively an A* but I somehow doubt they work it out that way.

Also I could try for an A* in A-level History. Which I might do regardless of trying for one in English too.
Doubt I'll be getting one in Maths!!

A* CANNOT BE AWARDED ON LEGACY SPECIFICATIONS.

Even if you resat you could still only be awarded an A.
Reply 3
Old spec English Lit? You can't get an A* in it.
The fact you've been 'coaxed' into applying to Cambridge suggests it's a bad idea to apply in the first place :tongue: Er, if you feel as though you could do better then by all means do it. You can't get A*, though. Remember that Cambridge can see if you've retaken any modules. Maybe Oxford would be a better choice, since they are asking for AAA?
Reply 5
inksplodge
The fact you've been 'coaxed' into applying to Cambridge suggests it's a bad idea to apply in the first place :tongue: Er, if you feel as though you could do better then by all means do it. You can't get A*, though. Remember that Cambridge can see if you've retaken any modules. Maybe Oxford would be a better choice, since they are asking for AAA?

Ha, perhaps 'coaxed' wasn't the best choice of words - I definitely want to go for it, just needed a bit more self-belief!

I did consider Oxford, but I just have a better 'feeling' about Cambridge - it's often been said that Cambridge is "dull" but the city is beautiful and whilst I love a good night out, I wouldn't base my university choice on the quality of clubs! Plus I prefer the look of the course at Cambridge.
Anyway I'm not setting my heart and soul on getting in. But I may as well have a go.

Ah, yes I forgot I was on the old spec.
A* in History it is, then!
The website does mention that it doesn't matter which subject you obtain the A* in.

Thanks guys! :p:

Latest