The Student Room Group

making your room more "studenty"

I'm off to Uni this September, and I'm starting to really look things up ahead of that time. I don't know why exactly, I guess I'm just feeding my excitement about going to uni by reading about it. I've been reading many threads on this website about how people prepared for uni, what they took with them to uni, etc.

One thing I haven't been able to find out about, either on this forum or elsewhere on the web, is dorm rooms. I don't really know anything about them. What size they are, what shape they are, what you get in there, what you can fit in there....

So, does anyone have any pictures of their dorm room? Preferably ones that answer my above queries, not ones that just show you standing against a wall or something! Also, if anyone has any pics of British dorm rooms that aren't their's, such as a friend's or just a random site you've found on the net, then I'd really appreciate checking it all out.

Thanks in advance. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Heres my hole (sorry, dorm) at keele Hawthorns. Theyre big enough.

Min
Reply 2
Mine at Exeter (it's ensuite too).
Reply 3
We dont have many dorm rooms in the UK. A dorm in the UK is a room with a multiple number of people sleeping in it. Whilst it is possible you may be sharing with one other person, you are not going to be in a dorm.

Now you might be in a flat or house, but there are walls and everyone has their own bedroom, but shares facilities like showers, toilets and kitchens
Reply 4
supercat

Oh my lord, amazing! Mine is basically like the above but with a single bed so slightly less space.
Reply 5
Minardi

Min

Liking the Floyd on the wall.. :cool:

From what I've seen, that's a fairly large room.
Reply 6
Hawthorns dorm looks like mine. Exeter looks like a hotel room.
Minardi

Min

Looks like you've got the same laptop as me. :smile:

And thanks for the response guys. Those pics are exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. I've found loads of pics of American living places, but seeing as I'm not American and aren't going to uni in America, they weren't much help.

Noxid
We dont have many dorm rooms in the UK. A dorm in the UK is a room with a multiple number of people sleeping in it.

I just assumed a room on campus was a dorm room, because that's how it has been referred to by people I know that have gone to uni.
Reply 8
Hotspur Warrior

I just assumed a room on campus was a dorm room, because that's how it has been referred to by people I know that have gone to uni.

Were those people American?

Here, I would say most people call them 'Halls' but I've never heard 'dorm room' used. Maybe you have watched too many movies.
Reply 9
supercat

Oh my god :eek: ... I hope I luck out and get a room like that at the uni i'm going to!
Talya
Were those people American?

Here, I would say most people call them 'Halls' but I've never heard 'dorm room' used. Maybe you have watched too many movies.

I don't know any American people. They're people that went to uni from my year group this year. And I don't watch nearly enough movies for my liking. :smile:
Reply 11
My room is kinda similar to that pic of the one at Exeter. I have a double bed and en suite, the room is pretty large with a big desk that has a cupboard and drawer. There are 2 large shelving areas and an average sized wardrobe. It's the only double room in my flat though so I was pretty lucky :biggrin:
Reply 12
Attatched are pics of my room at Cardiff Uni, Talybont South Halls - sorry about the amount of posters and junk everywhere but you get the idea! That's where I lived as a fresher back in 2003/4 (so many years ago now!). They were ensuite with little shower-toilet-basin "pods" that looked like a wardrobe. Tiny, dinky little rooms really but with a shed-load of built in storage space.

Ahh good times! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Think Floyd
Liking the Floyd on the wall.. :cool:

From what I've seen, that's a fairly large room.

Ya Canne beat a bit of Floyd :wink:
Reply 14
alocin
Attatched are pics of my room at Cardiff Uni, Talybont South Halls - sorry about the amount of posters and junk everywhere but you get the idea! That's where I lived as a fresher back in 2003/4 (so many years ago now!). They were ensuite with little shower-toilet-basin "pods" that looked like a wardrobe. Tiny, dinky little rooms really but with a shed-load of built in storage space.

Ahh good times! :biggrin:

I love your room!
Reply 16
supercat fails to mention her room costs £140 a week, so unless you have that much to spend, I think you can forget it :p:
supercat

just out of curiosity, is that a double bed?
Reply 18
I can't believe Exeter get double beds! I'm so frickin jealous
Reply 19
They're only one-and-a-half size, not proper doubles.

Latest