The Student Room Group

German or French at UCL!

Hi!
I want to apply for European social and political studies at UCL.
I could go for French(with a year at Sciences PO) but I need to take DALF-C1 which is a little bit risky or German(with ayear in Berlin-Free University or Humboldt) ab initio.I have studied French for 6 years at school and I enjoy it but I'm sort of worried about the test and German -I don't know at all.What should I do?Learn intensively and go for French or choose German as it will be better to know in the future German as well?

Thank you very much!
Reply 1
German is more sought after in the world of work at the moment and it probably will be for some time. There's a massive shortage of British German speakers so you have a huge niche in the market to exploit.
Reply 2
What do you want to do after uni? I'd say go for what you feel most comfortable with.
green10
Hi!
I want to apply for European social and political studies at UCL.

:h: :h: :h:

I could go for French(with a year at Sciences PO) but I need to take DALF-C1 which is a little bit risky or German(with ayear in Berlin-Free University or Humboldt) ab initio.I have studied French for 6 years at school and I enjoy it but I'm sort of worried about the test and German -I don't know at all.What should I do?Learn intensively and go for French or choose German as it will be better to know in the future German as well?

Thank you very much!

I should say that there is actually a lot of competition for exchange places to Sciences-Po so even if you do French there's no guarantee that you'll get to go there. I think there's a minimum score you have to get to be allowed to apply or something. Though I'M NOT SURE so don't take my word for it.

Anyway I suggest you try learning a little bit of German and seeing if you like it enough to chance going ab initio; if you don't do whichever language you prefer/enjoy more.

Latest