The Student Room Group

Doing AS Futher Maths in A2 year?

My original plan was to do AS Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Further Maths, but i found out when I got to college there wasn't enough people wanting to do further maths so they didn't put it on. Instead I chose Psychology.

For A2 I'll either drop chemistry or psychology, i'm not sure which.

Would it be too much workload if i took on as further maths, this is if when the ASs do further maths, it fits into my timetable.

I've heard its necessary to do as further maths if you want to do a maths course in uni? im not 100% sure thats what i want to do, but what i'll do will be something related to maths anyway.

opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
To do AS Further Maths you have to complete A2 Maths.

1) AS Maths (3 modules)
2) A2 Maths (6 modules)
3) AS F Maths (9 modules)
4) A2 F Maths (12 modules)
5) AS Additional F Maths (15 modules)
6) A2 Additional F Maths (18 modules)

You cannot jump from, say, 1) to 3).
Reply 2
i don't understand?
I won't be dropping a level maths. So in my second year i would be doing A2 maths and AS further maths.
Reply 3
Oh, I see. Sorry, misunderstood your first sentence.
Yes you can jump from 1) to 3) :tongue:

A guy in my year did both an AS in Maths and Further Maths last year and is taking both this year to A2.

It does make it more difficult, but you can do it
Reply 5
Seeing as you want to do maths at uni, I'd suggest that you consider doing further maths.
Reply 6
I did both AS and A2 FMaths in my A2 year and learnt for another AS in maths...I didn't do very well at FMaths and didn't takethe other AS =S, but I reckon trying to squeeze it into such a short amount of time with other subjects didn't help, you could probably manage the AS if you're fairly confident in your maths ability; and some unis will give you a lower offer for a math place if you have FMaths =) you can ask your school if you can drop it later if you feel it's affecting your other subjects...you'd just have to tell any unis you apply to which is the only difficulty
Reply 7
ChubbyChutton
Yes you can jump from 1) to 3) :tongue:

A guy in my year did both an AS in Maths and Further Maths last year and is taking both this year to A2.

It does make it more difficult, but you can do it

Yes, you can skip from 1) to 3) as long as you are planning to do both A2 Maths and A2 F Maths, in that case you can do them simultaneously. All in all you will end up with 1) to 4).
Reply 8
I did A2 maths AS further and A2 further this year and wasnt really much of a workload i found and still got an A, its fine if youre good at maths =)
Reply 9
Thanks for all the help, so work load sounds like it should be managable.
From what my maths teacher has said I'd be doing M1, M2 & FP1 I think for further maths, i think i might try and find out if I could do say, M1 this year, and then the other two next year, im not sure if that would be possible, but it would take some work load off me next year at least.
Also, if anyone knows, how much of S1 is in gcse statistics? so far it seems similar but maybe thats just an introduction..
also additional maths gcse and C1 seems to overlap too which is good.
goldsilvy
To do AS Further Maths you have to complete A2 Maths.

1) AS Maths (3 modules)
2) A2 Maths (6 modules)
3) AS F Maths (9 modules)
4) A2 F Maths (12 modules)
5) AS Additional F Maths (15 modules)
6) A2 Additional F Maths (18 modules)

You cannot jump from, say, 1) to 3).

I'm pretty sure you are allowed to have AS Maths + AS further maths with the right 6 modules, but yeah they aren't dropping A2 maths anyway :smile:
You could do A2 F maths and only AS Maths still.
ChubbyChutton
You could do A2 F maths and only AS Maths still.

Rubbish. A level Further Mathematics cannot be certificated unless A level Mathematics has been certificated, or is being concurrently certificated.
But they are equivalent in difficulty (apparently) and the "Further" is just a misconception...meh.
ChubbyChutton
But they are equivalent in difficulty (apparently) and the "Further" is just a misconception...meh.

FP2>C4
FP3>C3

meh...
rebecca1993

I've heard its necessary to do as further maths if you want to do a maths course in uni? im not 100% sure thats what i want to do, but what i'll do will be something related to maths anyway.

What maths course? If you're applying to a top university then yes, a lot of maths-based courses will look extremely favorably towards it and may even give lower offers to candidates with it. Although as far as I know unless you're applying to Cambridge/Warwick for maths itself they won't require further maths. Also, even if you're applying to a university which doesn't explicitly say they desire further maths, it will definitely still be a strong point of your application.

I'm doing further maths AS this year with a tutor (along with 3 A2's) and I'm not finding it too bad. The real question is to ask whether you enjoy doing maths. If the answer is yes, then I would recommend taking on the AS :smile:
Reply 16
Is it worth me taking Further Maths if i want to study Economics/Economics & Finance?
NAJC
Is it worth me taking Further Maths if i want to study Economics/Economics & Finance?

Depends where you want to study Economics. In top 10 that would be highly preferable, outside just Maths is enough. Some universities don't even require Maths at all.
Reply 18
goldsilvy
Depends where you want to study Economics. In top 10 that would be highly preferable, outside just Maths is enough. Some universities don't even require Maths at all.

I currently have an A* in GCSE and A in AS (259/300) even though I made quite a few mistakes and didn't revise anywhere near enough. I want to go to one of the following universities as it stands: Warwick, Bristol, Bath, Exeter or Durham.
Reply 19
goldsilvy
Rubbish. A level Further Mathematics cannot be certificated unless A level Mathematics has been certificated, or is being concurrently certificated.

Not true :smile: At least in the new GCE Edexcel syllabus established this year.

Latest

Trending

Trending