The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Outside the University itself, its few and far between at peak times. However, there are private carparks about a 5 minute walk away from the University.
Its about £1.20 an hour to park, and about £1 more for every additional hour.

Outside the University itself, if you are lucky enough to get a space, its £3.10 for up to 12 hours.
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Agh, I see. I was hoping to park 'in' the uni grounds! I'm guessing this will be a difficult achievement? Although I do like a challenge.

Bono
The university's parking spaces are few and far between, I'd wager you'd be veeeeeeeeeeeeery lucky to get a place.

Why bring your car to Leicester, anyway?
Reply 4
As far as I'm aware you can only park on campus if you're a staff member or have some form of disability which means you need to... basically they don't generally allow students to park on campus. As already mentioned if you're lucky (or coming to uni early... between 8 -8.30am it's usually emptyish) you can park on University Road and some of the other surrounding roads, it's 1hr=60p, 2hr=£1.10, 3hr+ (up to 12hr) =£3.10 and free between 6pm - 7.30am and Sundays (and bank holidays I think?)
Otherwise there are a couple of pay and display car parks close to uni, Victoria park and Freeman's Common being the closest. Parking charges for Victoria park are given here: (scroll to bottom of page and open attachment).
http://www.leicester.gov.uk/index.asp?pgid=7872
Reply 5
Aphotic Cosmos
Why bring your car to Leicester, anyway?

It's a 120 mile round trip, so buses/trains are not really an option.

I'm neither disabled nor staff, so it's not looking good, but never say never !

Bono
Reply 6
I dont think you have to be a member of staff or have a disabled badge to park in uni?

Last year after 5pm they let anyone in, i told the security guard on the intercom that i wanted to go to the gym/library etc and he just let me in.. afew of my mates did that too.. We never had a problem getting in.. at the end of the year they completely redid all the routes inside campus (you cant enter via entrance 2 anymore, its a no entrance road now) but they still let students in after 5..

doesnt help with lectures/tutorials though because they will probably be before 5

At other times you could just stick it in nixons/freemans or that massive halfords/homebase carpark just off welford road, about 10 minutes walk from uni..

Your supposed to pay £50 for a parking permit at nixon, but loads of people get away with it
Reply 7
according to this:
http://www.le.ac.uk/estates/facilities_&_services/security/parking.html?searchterm=parking#annualpermits
students are not given parking permits unless they have a disability, but maybe that only applies at peak times?
Gizabun is right, I heard of a couple of cars being clamped there in my first year.
You also need a permit to park in the University grounds during the daytime, so even if you do get in, dont expect not to recieve a ticket or warning notice.

Your only actual options which will see you not be given a ticket/ clamped are those which have already been mentioned, Parking outside the University where there are limited spaces, or in private car parks.
Reply 9
thats wierd :/ maybe its only at peak times? Iv never had a problem at all getting into the uni car park after 5pm... never heard of anyone getting a ticket or clamped either
Reply 10
Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like it'll be one of the local car parks.

Bono
You can't park in the grounds. I park at the Victoria Park pay and display site, which is just a couple of minutes away. If you go very early, you may be lucky enough to get a spot on University Road.
My boyfriend works at uni and there's a 2 year waiting list for staff for car parking spaces...so I wouldn't build your hopes up for parking on campus =) Get up early enough though and, like others said, there's spaces on University road/roads off there where you could try and squeeze in

Latest

Trending

Trending