The Student Room Group

Cambridge Vs Imperial

hi.. basically i need help on choosing my unis for medicine.. i know at the end of the day its ur choice BUT i keep hearing that if you apply to both cmabridge and imperial for medicine, imperial reject you straight away without an interview becuase they dont want to waste an offer on someone who is likely going to get into cambridge? this is sooo annoying because they're my top 2 unis and if imperial reject me straight away, and i dont get an offer with cambridge, then imperial COULD of had me but they didnt even give me a chance! :frown:

help anyone?
Reply 1
Firstly, Imperial won't have a clue that you applied to Cambridge, unless you send them an email to let them know. Secondly, even if they were to hypothetically find out, why on Earth would they hold it against you?

The majority of people that apply to Cambridge will be rejected, just like any other medical school. These will, for the most part, be competent, clever individuals. Why would Imperial handicap themselves by disregarding one set of people without a second's consideration just based on a choice?

Whoever keeps telling you that a) is bitter about being rejected from Imperial without getting an interview, b) doesn't want you to apply to Imperial, for whatever reason, or c) a paranoid conspiracy lover who thinks the whole world is out to get them.

Whichever it is, they're an idiot.
Reply 2
pinkyprincess
hi.. basically i need help on choosing my unis for medicine.. i know at the end of the day its ur choice BUT i keep hearing that if you apply to both cmabridge and imperial for medicine, imperial reject you straight away without an interview becuase they dont want to waste an offer on someone who is likely going to get into cambridge? this is sooo annoying because they're my top 2 unis and if imperial reject me straight away, and i dont get an offer with cambridge, then imperial COULD of had me but they didnt even give me a chance! :frown:

help anyone?

Ditto Phalanges.

Also, don't call the thread "Cambridge vs Imperial": people will just start a pointless debate over which one is better.
Reply 3
Phalanges
Why would Imperial handicap themselves by disregarding one set of people without a second's consideration just based on a choice?

Whoever keeps telling you that a) is bitter about being rejected from Imperial without getting an interview, b) doesn't want you to apply to Imperial, for whatever reason, or c) a paranoid conspiracy lover who thinks the whole world is out to get them.

:ditto:

As it happened, it seemed that pretty much everyone at my Imperial interviews (day 2 2002 season) had applied to Oxbridge too (!) They also utilized the 'if you put us firm choice' scholarship carrot so seem aware they're not definitely going to be everyone's first choice when the offers have been made.

It can work both ways - applicants want a medical school place and medical schools want the 'best' students so it doesn't make sense for them to start second-guessing and potentially cutting their nose off to spite their face... & they can strategically over-offer. :dontknow:
Reply 4
Elles
As it happened, it seemed that pretty much everyone at my Imperial interviews (day 2 2002 season) had applied to Oxbridge too (!) They also utilized the 'if you put us firm choice' scholarship carrot so seem aware they're not definitely going to be everyone's first choice when the offers have been made.

That was pretty much my experience of it as well (I think there was one person who hadn't applied to either). The tour guide even started making comparisons between Oxbridge and Imperial while showing everyone round.
Reply 5
thanks u guys.. i think i'll jus risk it then and apply to both! it's just that i have heard it from more than one person and i thought they shouldn't know about your other choices either, but i guess you never know?

alrite pleasee no1 start a debate over whether cambridge or imperial is better because i honestly wouldn't be fussed over which one i got into. i'd just be grateful that i got into A medical school!
Phalanges
Firstly, Imperial won't have a clue that you applied to Cambridge, unless you send them an email to let them know. Secondly, even if they were to hypothetically find out, why on Earth would they hold it against you?

The majority of people that apply to Cambridge will be rejected, just like any other medical school. These will, for the most part, be competent, clever individuals. Why would Imperial handicap themselves by disregarding one set of people without a second's consideration just based on a choice?

Whichever it is, they're an idiot.

Sick burn, you tell em.

Latest

Trending

Trending