The Student Room Group

Best books for learning Mandarin

I'm a new Business student at university and I know how crucial and what an advantage even a basic grasp of Mandarin can be on a C.V. I intend to study part time in societies but I do need a good book (with C.D) to get me going. I do work in a Chinese restaurant where the language is Mandarin and not Canton so I would have regular contact time with native speakers which no doubt would help.

So, can someone recommend me a good book that can get me started on this? I have looked myself but there is such an array out there I can't pick between them all. Any help appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
I'm afraid I can't really offer any help on which books are good, as I did Chinese in school and therefore just used the official Edexcel textbooks, but I can say do NOT use the Chinese Practical Reader or whatever it's called; it's completely outdated and stupidly formal. Also, have you also looked online at websites and things - I know some people hate podcasts, but Chinesepod.com is quite good, especially for Chinese in a business context.
Reply 2
dan001
I'm afraid I can't really offer any help on which books are good, as I did Chinese in school and therefore just used the official Edexcel textbooks, but I can say do NOT use the Chinese Practical Reader or whatever it's called; it's completely outdated and stupidly formal. Also, have you also looked online at websites and things - I know some people hate podcasts, but Chinesepod.com is quite good, especially for Chinese in a business context.

Cheers, I'll take a look at that once I know a little bit more. I've ordered this off Amazon. It's good good reviews and seems very basic which is what I need right now.
Nico_SU
Cheers, I'll take a look at that once I know a little bit more. I've ordered this off Amazon. It's good good reviews and seems very basic which is what I need right now.

I have that book also. It's good if you have absolutely no knowledge of Mandarin, but if you do know some already it'll probably seem quite slow.

Latest

Trending

Trending