The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jawz
St georges could be another option as a so called 'backup'
Piss off. We don't want you anyway.
It's best to see how your grades fit each medical school's requirements. Do you meet all the requirements? Assuming your grades are fine, you've got a good selection there...
i'm no superman

lol. So many people just choose SGUL as a backup :frown:
Reply 4
Reply 5
i'm no superman

:teehee:
Reply 6
Jawz
no i didnt mean it like that 'im no superman.' before you go all nuts what i meant is that people call medical schools backup choices when there all as hard to get into as eachother. thats why i put 'back up' in quotation marks.

I didn't have any "back up" when I applied. I had four first choices, places I really wanted to go to.
(my advice would be better :p:)
Phalanges
I didn't have any "back up" when I applied. I had four first choices, places I really wanted to go to.

surely no medical schools can be classed as a backup?
If you're applying to places like UCL, Imperial and Kings you obviously have some pretty splendid grades. Out of those, I'd pick those three and St Georges.
crazy_smurf
surely no medical schools can be classed as a backup?

So it is said, although I think that if you have enough A*s at GCSE it is reasonable to call Birmingham a back up.

They're a special case though.
Reply 11
Yep ive checked my grades/ subjects will fit each med school, I did bio, chem, physics and history for AS and taking either all four or most likely 3 to A2 minus physics.....
i'm no superman

:curious:
Reply 13
Thing is im a bit confused over whether the unis above are too optimistic. Its tough enough to get one offer so im wondering whether its worth applying to place like Imperial etc when the risk is so high of a straight rejection. I know its based on how the individual comes across in an interview etc but has anyone been in this postion before?
i'm no superman

lol!

OP, if you meet the entry requirements, everyone is really interviewed. The entry requirements aren't that high. I believe it's AAAb at A level, and an average of A at GCSE (from 8 GCSEs). Hardly spectacular really.
It's the interview that's the hard part. Success rate is very low as so many are interviewed. Each day they interview so many people. You have to beat all those people at interview. And st.george's intake is one of the smallest of all med schools. In fact it's anything but a back up, as there's nothing really concrete (you don't know if you're going to do well at interview or not, as opposed to a med school who cares a lot about UKCAT and you're already got the UKCAT score before applying). Hence in my opinion, it's one of the riskiest choices. Of course, if you like a good fight, it's awesome lol.

I suppose you are virtually guaranteed an interview so if you're worried you won't get an interview, I wouldn't worry too much with st.george's. It's only after you've had the interview, panic sets in.

George's use UKCAT to determine who to take from the waiting list.

I'll talk briefly about the others.

Kings apparently care about both UKCAT and GCSEs. Don't know so much about them to be honest it's hard to figure out how they select candidates, opinions on the matter seem to vary. I believe it was the most competitive Med school (or it was at one point) in terms of number of people applying.

No one really knows how Southampton pick candidates. It's sort of a mystery. Seem to not care much about GCSEs, UKCAT, don't even interview. They say apparently it's really just the personal statement. Don't put this choice if you're just applying to "one which doesn't interview". Very nice uni though.

Nottingham. Wouldn't bother. Didn't do very well in the times league rankings this year. Suffered a fall from grace.....
Only kidding, it's a great uni (don't pay much attention to league tables). I believe there selection criteria is similar to Cardiff, cut off point for GCSEs (fairly high, around 6A*s I believe), give individual scores for UKCAt, interview, personal statement. Add up scores and see whether you make the cut to give you an offer. Nottingham will give you an offer or rejection I believe pretty soon after interview.

UCL isn't so risky as people seem to make out. Yes you have to do well in the BMAT, but they do consider a lot of things before giving you an interview. Getting 5,5,9 and meeting A level requirements I believe guarantees interview (or so I was told on the open day last year).

Imperial is very risky. It has a cut off point in each section. If you don't make the cut off point in each section, automatic rejection. Hence there are people who got over 20 in BMAT, but got rejected due to their failure in one section (normally 1 or 2). After interview, very good success rate of getting an offer. Make sure you do well at the BMAT for this one, it's really make or Break generally for this uni.

You said probably not for Manchester. Since you said that, probably not worth applying if your heart's not in it. Rank candidates by UKCAT I believe (and have a slightly different interview then most med schools, not sure exactly what it's like, look at the med school's website). PBL course.
Jawz
Thing is im a bit confused over whether the unis above are too optimistic. Its tough enough to get one offer so im wondering whether its worth applying to place like Imperial etc when the risk is so high of a straight rejection. I know its based on how the individual comes across in an interview etc but has anyone been in this postion before?

Yeah, I have. I thought I was going to get straight rejections from all of my choices.

Most people who aren't arrogant will have been in the same position as you, regardless of where they applied. And that's the point - everywhere is tough to get an offer from, so you might as well apply to places you like rather than ones you think (possibly unfoundedly) are easier to get into.
MoonwalkBaby
If you're applying to places like UCL, Imperial and Kings you obviously have some pretty splendid grades. Out of those, I'd pick those three and St Georges.

you don't need to have "splendid grades" (by which I think you are implying GCSEs, or more than 3 As at A level) to get into UCL or Imperial. They care more about the BMAT really.

Some med schools really do want "splendid grades" ,cough, cough, Birmingham! Makes the life of the admissions tutors a hell of a lot easier (in fact it puzzles me why places like st.george's are willing to interview so many candidates each year. It must be horrible).
Jawz
no i didnt mean it like that 'im no superman.' before you go all nuts what i meant is that people call medical schools backup choices when there all as hard to get into as eachother. thats why i put 'back up' in quotation marks. il change that so people like you dont go nuts when all im asking for is some advice. Ive done plenty of research and asked teachers but it seems alot of people know more about applications than teachers do.
What difference does it make with or without the quotation marks? Calling it 'a so called back up' (as you put it bluntly before you edited your original post) simply instigates that you consider SGUL to be a somewhat easier medical school to gain a place at in comparison to the ones you primarily listed. I don't know whether that's because they guarantee interviews but I can assure you that the aftermath to the interview selection process is very, very competitive. They interview a large number of applicants, which means they end up rejecting a lot too.
There's always the Medical University of Swaziland...for all your medical needs.
i'm no superman
What difference does it make with or without the quotation marks? Calling it 'a so called back up' (as you put it bluntly before you edited your original post) simply instigates that you consider SGUL to be a somewhat easier medical school to gain a place at in comparison to the ones you primarily listed. I don't know whether that's because they guarantee interviews but I can assure you that the aftermath to the interview selection process is very, very competitive. They interview a large number of applicants, which means they end up rejecting a lot too.

There's no need to take it personally - the OP will soon find out how wrong he was :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending